The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 01:58pm
Back from the DL

Can an elbow to the head be a PC?

I was asked whether an elbow to the head can be a mere PC foul, as opposed to intentional (NFHS). I'm wracking my brain on this one.

The only way I would think that would be a PC if the elbow was stationary and high, but the shooter moves his entire body into the defender, and the elbow contacts the head without actually swinging the elbow.

Thoughts?
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I was asked whether an elbow to the head can be a mere PC foul, as opposed to intentional (NFHS). I'm wracking my brain on this one.

The only way I would think that would be a PC if the elbow was stationary and high, but the shooter moves his entire body into the defender, and the elbow contacts the head without actually swinging the elbow.

Thoughts?
Depends on the state interpretation of the NFHS POE. Some follow your above logic; others say any elbow-to-head contact that is a foul must be intentional.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 02:43pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:

Thoughts?
The way it has been interpreted to me in the NFHS rule set is elbow contact above shoulders=intentional foul. Only other option is flagrant, if it's warranted. I've seen the play on video that the reporter in that post was talking about. I believe by rule it had to be judged intentional, and was.

Last edited by Maineac; Fri Jan 03, 2014 at 02:49pm.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

...that...at least here in WA. State...home of the 2014 Super Bowl Champs!
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

As communicated to us earlier this season from IAABO ...

Contact Above The Shoulders
For the 2012-13 season the NFHS Rules Committee issued a Point of Emphasis (POE) on contact above the shoulders. The POE defined illegal contact from a moving elbow where such contact was above the shoulders as being either an intentional foul or a flagrant one. This guidance regarding these play situations was provided in connection with the continuing emphasis on reducing concussions and decreasing excessive contact situations. It also helped to bring the results of such plays in high school games more in line with what is defined at the NCAA and pro levels.
IAABO, in its role supporting the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee, has provided a question in this area on the refresher exam. This question hopes to refresh the official’s understanding and to promote discussion in this area for the coming season.
Question #13 read, “A1, while being closely guarded, swings his/her elbows not excessively and contacts B-1 above the shoulders. The official rules an intentional personal foul. Is the official correct?”
This question should be answered as “Yes.”
Last season the Point of Emphasis (POE) distinguished between two varieties of such contact. When illegal contact above the shoulders is not the result of elbow and/or arm movement that is excessive, then the contact is to be ruled as intentional. This means that this illegal contact should have resulted from moves that are consistent with the game of basketball. An example of this could be a play situation involving an outlet pass after a rebound. If a player had chinned the ball and then turned to make an outlet pass with his/her elbow leading the way, this could result in contact with an opponent. Previously such contact may have resulted in a player control foul being ruled. With the guidance provided by Rules Committee, if such contact is above the shoulders, the result should be an intentional foul being ruled.
In situations where the illegal contact is the result of excessively swinging arms and/or elbows, the ruling should normally be a flagrant foul unless the contact was judged to be slight. Examples of this include play situations where a player is trapped by more than one opponent and the player attempts to create space by rapidly swinging his/her arms and elbows. When such actions result in contact with an opponent above the shoulders, this contact should result in a flagrant foul being ruled. Another example would be a player “throwing an elbow.” In the past such contact would always have been ruled an intentional foul. With the guidance provided by last season’s POE, if such contact is above the shoulders, then a flagrant foul should now be the result instead.
Some questions have been raised regarding the fact that the Rules Committee has not provided play situations in the Case Book. While such play situations may be helpful to remind an official of his/her responsibilities in these situations, the lack thereof does not negate last season’s POE.
Many actions are not specifically listed in any rule of the Rules Book. For example, over the years there are specific aspects of handchecking that have only been referred to in the POE section of the Rules Book. Continuous contact by a hand or an arm on a ball handler is one such example. This has long been classified as a handchecking foul although specific language defining this does not exist in the Rules Book or Case Book.
It should also be noted that with regard to intentional fouls, specific language in Rule 4.19.3 states that intentional fouls are not limited just to the items listed there. As the game evolves, play situations continue to challenge our mastery of the rules. This means that, as officials, we always need to strive to increase our understanding of the correct application of such rules.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...(snip) WA. State...home of the 2014 Super Bowl Champs!
Not yet, pal.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
Ball handler sets an illegal screen with elbows extended ("chinning the ball") and defender runs into elbow.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not yet, pal.
...soon enough...
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 03:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid NFHS Monkeys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
... the NFHS rule set ...
It's not in the rulebook, at least, not yet. It was a point of emphasis a few years ago. Unless one has access to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.'s attic library of old rulebooks going back to 1891, there's no way for a rookie to know about "intentional elbows to the head" without more guidance than the 2013-14 rulebook alone provides.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 04:09pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
The POE defined illegal contact from a moving elbow where such contact was above the shoulders as being either an intentional foul or a flagrant one.
There's the key adjective: "moving."

I believe Bob gives a good example of a stationary elbow to the head that, according to the IAABO citation from PG, wouldn't necessarily be intentional/flagrant. So, it could be a PC, from what I'm reading. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Not yet, pal.
Exactly. The Pats have to take care of the Broncos first, before cleaning up any NFC dreck.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 04:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Elbow Swing
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 04:31pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's not in the rulebook, at least, not yet. It was a point of emphasis a few years ago. Unless one has access to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.'s attic library of old rulebooks going back to 1891, there's no way for a rookie to know about "intentional elbows to the head" without more guidance than the 2013-14 rulebook alone provides.
My apologies for being unclear. I was referring to the POE. The OP didn't mention "rookies" so I was going off that POE and my own training here in Maine, where bainsey also works.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's the key adjective: "moving."
Is the elbow "moving" when it's just along for the ride? i.e. body pivot

My State says NO...elbow can be stationary during a pivot.

Quote:
The Pats have to take care of the Broncos first, before cleaning up any NFC dreck.
...east coast bias...
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Torque ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
... elbow can be stationary during a pivot.
Did anyone even bother to inform Isaac Newton of this new development?

Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Did anyone even bother to inform Isaac Newton of this new development?
Take it up with the Big Boys in the "State" Department.

I happen to agree with them. Picture a tall post player pivoting normally and hitting a shorter player in the head. Intentional foul? I think not.

Therefore, I have no problem calling "it" the way the State wants.

Question:
A1 Rebounds a missed try, chins the ball with elbows sticking out. A1 pivots and contacts B1 in the head with their elbow. B1 is in legal guarding position.

A) No call, A1 is making a basketball move.

B) Player control foul on A1.

C) Intentional foul on A1.

D) Flagrant foul on A1.

Correct answer, in these parts; B) Player control foul on A1
Richland, WA