The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:04am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Maybe, just maybe, coaching is not your forte

Had a game earlier this year where the home team trailed 50-15 at HT and we had a running clock the whole second half. Coach is constantly complaining about 'no doubters'. One of my partners was a college official. Coach ends up stopping his car in the parking lot and asking our names. (Yes it went in the game report).

Back in the same gym a few days ago. His team trails by 2 with 18.4 seconds to go and a foul to give. No fouls. Until I whistle one right near the end and the horn sounds almost immediately afterwards. I signal game over as there really was not enough of a time difference to matter. And they were not tapping in a thrown in ball with less than .3 seconds left. He wants to know what the call WOULD have been. Maybe, had he coached his team to foul much sooner, twice, the other team might have missed FTs and given them a chance to tie the game.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Coach ends up stopping his car in the parking lot and asking our names.
That's when you should use your pseudonym: Earl Strom.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Coach ends up stopping his car in the parking lot and asking our names.

Why did you stop? LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach ends up stopping his car in the parking lot and asking our names. (Yes it went in the game report).
My response is Ed Hightower or Joe Crawford.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a game earlier this year where the home team trailed 50-15 at HT and we had a running clock the whole second half. Coach is constantly complaining about 'no doubters'. One of my partners was a college official. Coach ends up stopping his car in the parking lot and asking our names. (Yes it went in the game report).

Back in the same gym a few days ago. His team trails by 2 with 18.4 seconds to go and a foul to give. No fouls. Until I whistle one right near the end and the horn sounds almost immediately afterwards. I signal game over as there really was not enough of a time difference to matter. And they were not tapping in a thrown in ball with less than .3 seconds left. He wants to know what the call WOULD have been. Maybe, had he coached his team to foul much sooner, twice, the other team might have missed FTs and given them a chance to tie the game.
Running clock in 3rd quarter? Is that a Mercy Rule in your State?
The foul you called with .3 seconds or less was the 6th foul, correct? You are correct, now a team has to tap the ball to score. Also, the defense could foul during the inbounds play before the time expires. It would not be a shooting foul, but it would be the 7th foul and a 1 and 1. Thus they could tie the game.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
The foul you called with .3 seconds or less was the 6th foul, correct? You are correct, now a team has to tap the ball to score. Also, the defense could foul during the inbounds play before the time expires. It would not be a shooting foul, but it would be the 7th foul and a 1 and 1. Thus they could tie the game.
I've had it in the 2nd quarter of a JVB game. The rule here is 35 points in our metro league for JV games. We actually had to think about whether it applied to the entire game, or just the 2nd half. We decided to get it started.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His team trails by 2 with 18.4 seconds to go and a foul to give. No fouls. Until I whistle one right near the end and the horn sounds almost immediately afterwards. I signal game over as there really was not enough of a time difference to matter.
Not your decision to make. You don't KNOW what will happen or not happen after the throw in. In fact - what if the defense is solid and they can't get it thrown in at all ... or they throw it out of bounds untouched. What if defense fouls before the ball has been thrown in, and offense misses the rim entirely on the free throw. You might have deprived his team a chance to win this game (long pass / tip in) in your hurry to get off the court.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Our Mercy Rule in Missouri only applies to the 4th quarter with a lead of 30+ points.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I know we've been through this as a forum a few times but....

If the buzzer is so close to the whistle, what time can you put on with definite knowledge?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I know we've been through this as a forum a few times but....

If the buzzer is so close to the whistle, what time can you put on with definite knowledge?
None, unless your state has specific guidance to the contrary (or has a monitor rule)
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
None, unless your state has specific guidance to the contrary (or has a monitor rule)
You can put whatever you see on the clock when you blow the whistle. Else definite knowledge is meaningless.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
You can put whatever you see on the clock when you blow the whistle. Else definite knowledge is meaningless.
Maybe I misread the play / question -- I was assuming that no one saw any time, but "there had to be some time left"
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 08:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe I misread the play / question -- I was assuming that no one saw any time, but "there had to be some time left"
That's how I read it, which is why I asked the question I did.

I also agree with your answer.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 03:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Foul. Whistle. Immediately after whistle, horn. In other words, it was so close to being simultaneous, that it was waved off. No definite knowledge on time remaining. I was trail, tableside, so last shot responsibility was with C. FWIW, both partners agreed with the call.

We have a running clock in second half if the margin gets to 35.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's how I read it, which is why I asked the question I did.

I also agree with your answer.
I took it the other way - that he knew how much time was left but decided it wasn't enough to make a difference (else why the "not enough to make a difference" comment). If, as the follow up post said, he didn't know how much time was left.. can't really do anything there, so I'd agree with you.

However, to me there's a difference between "We had no definite knowledge of how much time was left" and "we decided there wasn't enough time left to make a difference."

West Houston Mike