Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Students cost their team the game...

Y! SPORTS
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
the officials got the call right, & the home school event staff need to be better prepared to stop any incidents like this from happening again.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 04:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had a fight in the stands last night at half-time of a GV game. Unreal. Students.

Game Mgt was a "big man" who promptly took care of bidness.

Me and my P's just continued into the refs locker room.

Last edited by grunewar; Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 05:23pm.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

You hate it, but gotta call it.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Worked volleyball this year,was the victim of a student section emptying onto the court after a semifinal match which the host school won over their league rival.When I attempted to talk to the host school's associate AD about their lack of game management at the end she just turned her back to me and went thru the handshake line.Don't know about the rest of you but when I tell an AD who is not coaching something I expect their full attention.Needless to say that school will be blocked on my Arbiter next year.Clip is below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbPWhrmjKvo#t=71

As to the play in question I have no problem with this call.Game administrators have to maintain control of the crowd until the officials are off the floor.Didn't happen here,school learns lesson the hard way.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper

Last edited by APG; Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 03:45am. Reason: embedded clip
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

The time and place for this attempted discussion is not when the AD is ready to go through the handshake line.

Have your Referee send a game report (including a clip of the video showing how you were victimized ) to the powers that be and let them handle it.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 12:36pm
beware big brother

I don't know anything about volleyball, so maybe the expectations are different. Why would you care if the crowd rushes the court once the game is over? After a basketball game, this would not concern me in the slightest. Once the horn sounds, I am on my way to the locker room.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

R1 said no to my request to write the report.I understand if AD is coaching that is not the time but she was not coaching,she was our scoreboard operator and game administrator.

asdf-we have a certain protocol to follow at end of match.As the line judge on R1 side I roll my flag up,walk over to the R1 stand and walk across with the R1.the students impeded execution of that protocol & I was very disappointed to see all of our game management staff (who had done an excellent job during the match itself) celebrating with the kids instead of keeping them off the floor until we were out.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 12:50pm.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I don't know anything about volleyball, so maybe the expectations are different. Why would you care if the crowd rushes the court once the game is over? After a basketball game, this would not concern me in the slightest. Once the horn sounds, I am on my way to the locker room.
The only way I can see it mattering is if I or my partners are somehow prevented from getting off the court
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
As to the play in question I have no problem with this call.Game administrators have to maintain control of the crowd until the officials are off the floor.Didn't happen here,school learns lesson the hard way.
Who cares. As long as my exit isn't being blocked just make like a human and work your way out. As long as my health is not in Jeopardy let them do their thing. Going to talk to the AD to berate her? I would turn my back to the official too. The game's over, be gone.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:29pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
On a personal level, I'd be concerned for the safety of the players. Particularly the visiting players (some people can get stupid and hit them, after all). But I would think game management would be responsible here, so I'd just leave the court as soon as possible.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a quarterfinal in our highest classification the Saturday before this match.Upset where the #10 seed upset the #2.#10 was home,packed student section and only the players stormed the floor.That school got it,let us get off the floor and out then go bonkers.I know that at the school I work basketball as a scorekeeper for even with a packed student section this would never happen and that my AD would never turn his back to an official trying to tell him something.

Brian-that's my point,not only do the visiting players deserve an opportunity for a safe exit so do the officials.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 01:50pm.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Who cares. As long as my exit isn't being blocked just make like a human and work your way out. As long as my health is not in Jeopardy let them do their thing. Going to talk to the AD to berate her? I would turn my back to the official too. The game's over, be gone.
Yep.

Who cares about them. There would be no reasonable way to expect for the AD or even 10 people to keep the spectators off the court. Just get out and forget about it.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Ok thanks for your input everyone.So is anyone working any holiday basketball?
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
asdf-we have a certain protocol to follow at end of match.As the line judge on R1 side I roll my flag up,walk over to the R1 stand and walk across with the R1.
Seems like a good time to ignore the protocol -- and to discuss the possibility of ignoring it during the pre-game (all said without knowing a lot about HS volleyball).