The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 07:00am
C'mon man!!

Funnest game ever

Had my very first double over time last week and it was just awesome. Did another game a few hours later which also went into OT. Don't get mad. I know it is against the rules to have an OT game but it was Friday the 13th after all.

First game was men's sophomore for two large schools. My P was only a second year official but he did a great job. I would definitely work with him again. We weren't perfect but as a crew we got all the big stuff right. End of regulation. Visiting team scores with 3.5 left to tie the game. Thanks to the forum, I had presence of mind to anticipate a TO and looked to the coach immediately. Sure enough, TO. Clock didn't stop immediately because it was so loud in there but stopped at 1.8 sec. I had the clock reset.
Home team comes down the floor after the TO and pulls up a 15 footer at the buzzer. It goes and my P who was trail signals it is good. The crowd and the team go crazy.
However, I am thinking I am pretty sure that shot was late, like 95 percent sure. We get together and both the coaches are out on the court arguing their case. I also have the pretense of mind to get them OT of our hair.
We finish our discussion which went a little like this. How sure are you it went because I am pretty sure it was late. About 50/50. I am pretty sure it was no good. After about 20 seconds I said "we need to make a decision." He wasn't sure and I was all but certain. So I cancelled the goal and away we went. (In the future I would let me partner change his call instead of me doing it as the R.)

It came down to who made their FT in the double OT to decide the game and home team won. After the game I asked the next crew who was watching if we got it right and they both said the shot was late. That was reassuring. Anyway, just wanted to put a shout out to everyone on this forum who has helped answer questions and give insight into handling situations in games. This game really came together for me by way of game management, slowing down, etc. just everything went right for a great game and I owe a lot of my success to you guys for teaching me over the last two years. That was the best game I have ever had!!!!
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Does sound like a great game. I could be wrong but I think I would have let your partner wipe off the basket.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 06:23pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Does sound like a great game. I could be wrong but I think I would have let your partner wipe off the basket.
I think you are right and I did mention that in the post.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would eliminate any language that makes it sound like you didn't know for certain that it was late. Partners want certainty in these cases, not opinions.

In my own mind there is a decision to be made...if I'm willing to go talk about it then I'm 100% (even if I'm only 95%) sure it went in. That will help with any uncertainty that he had.

If you want to ask him how sure he is that's up to you, but the conversation should have went like this:
he says, "I'm 50/50", well "I'm positive it was late. Go ahead and crack your whistle, wave it off and let's resume with OT."

Great job! Keep improving and applying what you learn.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 06:42pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I would eliminate any language that makes it sound like you didn't know for certain that it was late. Partners want certainty in these cases, not opinions.

In my own mind there is a decision to be made...if I'm willing to go talk about it then I'm 100% (even if I'm only 95%) sure it went in. That will help with any uncertainty that he had.

If you want to ask him how sure he is that's up to you, but the conversation should have went like this:
he says, "I'm 50/50", well "I'm positive it was late. Go ahead and crack your whistle, wave it off and let's resume with OT."

Great job! Keep improving and applying what you learn.
I guess I was trying to be diplomatic about and allow him the chance to correct his own error without coming in a saying you blew it buddy.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 09:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I guess I was trying to be diplomatic about and allow him the chance to correct his own error without coming in a saying you blew it buddy.
This isn't etiquette school.

When you bring information to partners, you only bring 100% positive knowledge. If you come in with uncertainty, then you are just adding to the confusion.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 02:18am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This isn't etiquette school.

When you bring information to partners, you only bring 100% positive knowledge. If you come in with uncertainty, then you are just adding to the confusion.
Point taken.