The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:44pm
C'mon man!!

How do I become bigger?

So I am 5'8" tall and am 163 pounds. My target weight is 155. One of my buddies who is an excellent official and he deserves it, got moved up to varsity this year as a fourth year official. I am also a fourth year official but I know one One reason he got moved up is because he is tall, like 6'2" or maybe even a bit taller.
If any of you have any suggestions on how to be "bigger on the floor" thanks.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:56pm
beware big brother

I doubt the only difference or even one of the deciding factors that allowed him to move up while you didn't is that he is taller than you. You should ask the people who assign your games what specific areas you need to work on to move to the next level rather than make your own determination and settle on a factor that is going to be low on any assignors list or requirements. Just be ready to hear the truth when they tell you, sometimes it is hard to hear what others have to say.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So I am 5'8" tall and am 163 pounds. My target weight is 155. One of my buddies who is an excellent official and he deserves it, got moved up to varsity this year as a fourth year official. I am also a fourth year official but I know one One reason he got moved up is because he is tall, like 6'2" or maybe even a bit taller.
I would venture to say that there is more that distinguishes the two of you than just height. I am 5'8" and it has not held me back. Many of my mentors have also been on the shorter end, and one of them received the most votes for the state tournament ever received last year...he was 5'7"...I loved towering over him! You know what they say, those that can't play, officiate (ok I changed the words but it gets the point across)

First thing I would say is get some video of yourself and really look hard at your mechanics. Do you "sell" calls when needed? I'm not saying to be flamboyant by any means but sell where appropriate. Also another feedback that I get at most camps...and this is weird to me...is that I "run well" and run like an official...weird but evaluators have liked that about me. Do you stand confidently? I know this all sounds petty and what the hell does it have to do with you calling a game but these things will help you look like an official and that is half the battle in any sport.

It does take some time to see these things and it can be hard to be critical of yourself but trust a guy that has never been gifted athletically...I have "LEARNED" to look like an athlete on the court/field and it has gotten me many compliments by evaluators as I moved up.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 05:11pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I doubt the only difference or even one of the deciding factors that allowed him to move up while you didn't is that he is taller than you. You should ask the people who assign your games what specific areas you need to work on to move to the next level rather than make your own determination and settle on a factor that is going to be low on any assignors list or requirements. Just be ready to hear the truth when they tell you, sometimes it is hard to hear what others have to say.
Agree, but I think this is big. I asked specifically to some one on the board about this person and they said, and I quote, "you know why, because he is tall." I am a 600 official if I am not mistaken and this person is at least a 300 now. I have asked them and had an evaluator at my first game which went well. The problem is the feedback has kind of dried up. Anyway the point of the thread is how to be bigger on the court.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Having "the look" is important. Maybe not so much as it was 10 or so years ago, but it still gets you noticed.

That being said, there is not anything you can do about your height, so you need to compensate in other ways. egj mentioned some good things...look and run athletically, stand confidently during time outs and dead ball periods. Some other things you may want to try are using your voice more, in a more authoritative and confident tone, make sure your signals are sharp and crisp. Anything that requires you to make a signal with your hands above your head, stretch it out as high as you are comfortable with.

It's all about creating a "presence" on the court...taller people do it more naturally and don't have to work as hard at it due to their size.

Ultimately, it should come down to how you do the job on the court, but it is a fact that some officials will get opportunities because of their size, gender, race, etc. Nothing you can do about it but work to become the best official you can be.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 07:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm 6'5". It helps, and I have been moderately successful in meeting my career goals. But I have seen plenty of shorter officials move up the ladder faster than me.

My physical appearance probably gives me an edge if all other things are equal, but really, how often are all things equal?

More important than height, is a an athletic build. When I dropped a bunch of weight 5 years ago I all of a sudden catapulted from a HS/occasional JuCo ref to a multi-conference college official.

Along with an athletic look, you need to have good posture on the court. Your movements have to be brisk and purposeful. It is something you have to consciously be aware of. You have to see yourself on video in order to improve this aspect of your officiating. I did a D3 game 2 weekends ago and I felt sluggish the whole game. I saw the game on video and I looked even worse than I felt. My movements were lazy, I was slouching, there was no pep in my step. I was disgusted with what I saw. My play-calling and table presentation were very good in that game, but that was all wiped out, IMO, by my failure to present a big/athletic presence.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
More important than height, is a an athletic build. When I dropped a bunch of weight 5 years ago I all of a sudden catapulted from a HS/occasional JuCo ref to a multi-conference college official.
I second this. 5 yrs into officiating I dropped from 260lbs to 200lbs between basketball seasons. My ratings went up fairly dramatically th efirst yr after the weight loss. I find it hard to believe it was because I called a game that much differently from one season to next. Like mentioned, I looked fit, had a little more zip in me, no weariness, and it had to translate to a better court presence. In my mind, court presence is what can make you look "bigger".
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Same here...our director in my last state was VERY clear on the fact that if you wanted to work post-season and similar types of games you had to look the part. "if the players condition for the game, the officials should do the same." We didn't have a single official in the post-season that didn't look the part.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:29am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Hire Lance Armstrong as a trainer and pharmacist. I hear he is temporarily unemployed and in need of money. Rumor has it he is an expert in strength and endurance conditioning.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've seen small guys officiate big and really tall guys officiate small.

It's presence and voice. You may have to work to make yourself seem bigger on the court, to have that presence, but it can be done.

I'd also love to be 163 pounds.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send Barry Bonds/Sammy Sosa/Roget Clemens/Lance Armstrong a letter/email?
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

One of the most (if not the most) successful officials in my old association happened to also be the shortest.

He had great court presence, with the great ability to not go overboard in compensating for his lack of stature.

I think it's a lot of intangibles that are hard to lay out in a conversation. Rather, you've got to go find someone (like your buddy) who has that great court presence and just watch them game after game after game and watch those intangibles and try to incorporate them into your game while still allowing you to be you.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I am also a short man, but I spend a great deal of time watching video to see how I can also improve my stature.

As mentioned by some, I take great care to stand up straight during time outs. I also mirror this behavior when setting up in my position, Lead, C and Trail.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned is when you are reporting fouls, make sure all your signals are shoulder level if not higher. My own personal preference is shoulder level. But I have seen taller officials, use a lower "box" and go below shoulder level. They can get away with it cause they still look imposing. At a shorter height, we can't get away with that, we need to stand straight deliver a crisp shoulder level signal and that will give the impression of "height".
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'm about 6'2"... when reporting a foul I put my hand straight out about face level...

the scorer can then look at my # signals and "see" what I am saying at the same time.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 01:13pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
One thing that I didn't see mentioned is when you are reporting fouls, make sure all your signals are shoulder level if not higher. My own personal preference is shoulder level. But I have seen taller officials, use a lower "box" and go below shoulder level. They can get away with it cause they still look imposing. At a shorter height, we can't get away with that, we need to stand straight deliver a crisp shoulder level signal and that will give the impression of "height".
I've actually been told that I need to make my foul signals (and reporting signals) lower than that...my number reporting was such that my hand was between my face and the table. Observer felt that it looks cleaner if i keep my signals below my shoulders.

Of course, I'm 6'4", so keep that in mind.