The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

3 against 1

Boys soph prelim last night, 2nd quarter. Foul called on white 32, table buzzes and says no 32 in the book. Sure enough he's not in there but he is on the roster that's right there on the table. VC starts chirping that it's a TF after I announce it's a book keeping error. HC comes over and agrees that it's a TF and my partner comes over and signals the T and tells the HC he has to sit. I managed to talk my P out of sitting the HC, but he insisted that it was a TF. The book was verified for total number of players at 10:00, somehow this got through. I gave up the fight when it was 3 against 1, and went with the flow.
Anybody know if there's a case for this type of situation?
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
Boys soph prelim last night, 2nd quarter. Foul called on white 32, table buzzes and says no 32 in the book. Sure enough he's not in there but he is on the roster that's right there on the table. VC starts chirping that it's a TF after I announce it's a book keeping error. HC comes over and agrees that it's a TF and my partner comes over and signals the T and tells the HC he has to sit. I managed to talk my P out of sitting the HC, but he insisted that it was a TF. The book was verified for total number of players at 10:00, somehow this got through. I gave up the fight when it was 3 against 1, and went with the flow.
The rule says the coaches must supply the roster to the official book by the 10 minute mark. The coach did that, he complied with the rule. Not sure if there's a case play or not, though.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

In my pregame with the coaches I draw a line under the last name entered and have the coach sign the book. I specifically say he is signing to verify all uniforms are correct & legal, all equipment is legal or medically necessary, and that all names and numbers in the book are correct, etc.

Not saying your situation should have been a T since he did give the bookkeeper the names, but if he signned the book then its on him.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 07:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
In my pregame with the coaches I draw a line under the last name entered and have the coach sign the book. I specifically say he is signing to verify all uniforms are correct & legal, all equipment is legal or medically necessary, and that all names and numbers in the book are correct, etc.

Not saying your situation should have been a T since he did give the bookkeeper the names, but if he signned the book then its on him.
By rule, there's nothing that says he's responsible for anything other than providing the scorer the information. Whether he signs or not doesn't affect that.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
By rule, there's nothing that says he's responsible for anything other than providing the scorer the information. Whether he signs or not doesn't affect that.
Almost everyone in my area does this as well, and I've tried to explain to them that he is only liable for providing the scorer with his roster. I would not give a team a technical even if he signed off and the scorer had copied it down incorrectly. When I bring this up to partners that do this, I hear a lot of "Anything we find wrong after he signs off is a technical".
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 12:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Almost everyone in my area does this as well, and I've tried to explain to them that he is only liable for providing the scorer with his roster. I would not give a team a technical even if he signed off and the scorer had copied it down incorrectly. When I bring this up to partners that do this, I hear a lot of "Anything we find wrong after he signs off is a technical".
Making sh!t up is a favorite pastime of quite as few officials, I'm afraid.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Tell them you’ll go along with that theory as soon as they find something in the rule book to support it.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Had this happen tonight-first team of refs ask each HC to sign the book under their last player in the book. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is only a T if the player in question is not on the roster submitted at 10 minutes? If it is a copying error add and play on.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I haven't seen a case on it. You are correct- book keeping error. Your partner was incorrect in attempting to seatbelt the coach- team technical fouls are not charged indirectly.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Had this happen tonight-first team of refs ask each HC to sign the book under their last player in the book. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is only a T if the player in question is not on the roster submitted at 10 minutes? If it is a copying error add and play on.
You are correct.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 12:04pm
#thereferee99

Bottom Line...

Quote:
... is that it is really 1 v 1. You and your crew mate. The opinions of the coaches are not a factor here. Sounds like you knew the rule, but relented to a wave of resistance. Bottom line though, is you let your crew kick a rule.

An approach to consider:
Get the noise out. Make sure coaches are not near the table, and if need be send players to bench area.
Get all the information you need to make a ruling.
Get together with your crew away from others.
Sort it out.
If you are 100%, tell your partner it is on you and you will take the heat.
Come to a decision.
Have your whole crew give a visible nod of agreement (even if some have reservations).
Get coaches together and explain your ruling.
Begin that explanation with "By rule, ..."
Tell them what will happen next. End of interaction.
Resume play.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 11:53am
Back from the DL

I seek clarity here. Is it the understanding of some that bookkeeping errors are never technical fouls? Because, those listed in 10-1-2 say the penalty is a team technical (limit one administrative). The situation in the OP looks like it fits.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 12:13pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
bookkeeping errors are never technical fouls?

This is correct, bookkeeping errors are not technical fouls. The team is responsible for providing the official scorer with their roster and starters. They are not responsible for transcribing that information from the list they give the scorer into the scorebook. In the OP, the team provided the scorer with a list of their roster. The player in dispute was on the roster they provided. It is the scorers fault, not the teams fault that that player was not listed in the scorebook. If the player in dispute was not on the roster provided to the scorer, than a technical foul would be assessed.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I seek clarity here. Is it the understanding of some that bookkeeping errors are never technical fouls? Because, those listed in 10-1-2 say the penalty is a team technical (limit one administrative). The situation in the OP looks like it fits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This is correct, bookkeeping errors are not technical fouls. The team is responsible for providing the official scorer with their roster and starters. They are not responsible for transcribing that information from the list they give the scorer into the scorebook. In the OP, the team provided the scorer with a list of their roster. The player in dispute was on the roster they provided. It is the scorers fault, not the teams fault that that player was not listed in the scorebook. If the player in dispute was not on the roster provided to the scorer, than a technical foul would be assessed.
Exactly.

Why would you penalized team V just because team H's scorer copied their info incorrectly?
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

While I am a proponent of having the coaches verify the information and sign the book before the game begins, I also see no reason why you wouldn't evaluate the situation and make a decision based on judgement. I have had situations where it was clear that the bookkeepr wrote 34 instead of 43 and we were able to verify that by looking at the other books or the roster supplied by the coaches. I see this situation as not different. One of our jobs as referees is you use our best judgement to ensure the spirit of the game is upheld and a tech in this situation is not fair if the team had no control over the book.