The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scorer behavior (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96693-scorer-behavior.html)

JMUplayer Thu Dec 05, 2013 03:41pm

If a foul was called why was his beef with you unless he wanted a flagarant.

Welpe Thu Dec 05, 2013 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMUplayer (Post 913047)
If a foul was called why was his beef with you unless he wanted a flagarant.

A lot of coaches and fans seem to think we have the magical ability to keep players from getting hurt.

PG_Ref Thu Dec 05, 2013 03:55pm

Some "fans" think that if players get hurt/injured, it's because the officials didn't do their jobs.

BillyMac Thu Dec 05, 2013 09:08pm

What's The Matter With Kids Today ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 913041)
Opinions aren't necessary equal. And punctuation would certainly help your presentation.

When my daughter emails me, her emails lack capital letters. I wish that she would get that shift key fixed on her keyboard.

johnny d Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 913041)
Opinions aren't necessary equal. And punctuation would certainly help your presentation.

Since we have decide to become grammar police I might suggest to you that starting a sentence with a conjunction is not the best way to tell someone their punctuation is lacking. While not strictly forbidden, it is considered acceptable only in informal written communication.

Rich Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 913102)
Since we have decide to become grammar police I might suggest to you that starting a sentence with a conjunction is not the best way to tell someone their punctuation is lacking. While not strictly forbidden, it is considered acceptable only in informal written communication.

Since when are we formal here?

We are, however, a step above ten-year-olds text messaging. I hope.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 913102)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 913104)
Since when are we formal here?

We are, however, a step above ten-year-olds text messaging. I hope.

And that "rule" has largely been put to rest. :D

johnny d Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:00am

Perhaps we are not that formal. It is still ironic to point out another's lack of grammar using sentence structure that isn't widely accepted.

Rich Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 913106)
Perhaps we are not that formal. It is still ironic to point out another's lack of grammar using sentence structure that isn't widely accepted.

I'll point out that this is merely your opinion.

Quote:

A frequently asked question about conjunctions is whether and or but can be used at the beginning of a sentence. This is what R.W. Burchfield has to say about this use of and:

There is a persistent belief that it is improper to begin a sentence with And, but this prohibition has been cheerfully ignored by standard authors from Anglo-Saxon times onwards. An initial And is a useful aid to writers as the narrative continues.
from The New Fowler's Modern English Usage
edited by R.W. Burchfield. Clarendon Press: Oxford, England. 1996.
Used with the permission of Oxford University Press.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 913106)

You'd have a good point if your assertion about its acceptance were actually correct.

johnny d Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:46am

Next time you are writing a report at work, a cover letter for a new job, or anything else that requires a degree of professionalism, go ahead and start sentences with coordinating conjunctions and see how it works out for you. Doing so is a grammatical trick that should be used judiciously and is really only effective in narratives and story telling.

Adam Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 913116)
Next time you are writing a report at work, a cover letter for a new job, or anything else that requires a degree of professionalism, go ahead and start sentences with coordinating conjunctions and see how it works out for you. Doing so is a grammatical trick that should be used judiciously and is really only effective in narratives and story telling.

Or internet boards. Punctuation still helps - even if it's not correct - with readability. Rich's point is still valid. I'm not sure what yours is.

AremRed Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 913119)
I'm not sure what yours is.

Someone once told me never to end a sentence with a preposition. I told them prepositions are not things I end sentences with! :)

Camron Rust Fri Dec 06, 2013 02:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 913116)

Sorry, already do most of those things...and not one person cares.

I doubt I could find one person that matters that actually cares anything about a preposition at the beginning of a sentence. There would be very few jobs that depend on rigid academic grammar that would be worth having. Most intelligent hiring managers care about how well you might actually do the job, not some archaic grammar rule.

BillyMac Fri Dec 06, 2013 08:42am

Lost In Space ...

Since we're nitpicking, we can tell the age of posters on the Forum by how many spaces they place after a period at the end of a sentence. Old timers like me, who learned to type on a typewriter (look it up younguns, or watch for one on Antiques Roadshow) were taught to hit the space bar twice after the period at the end of a sentence. Forum members who grew up during the digital age, and learned to "type" on a keyboard, are taught to only hit the space bar once after the period at the end of a sentence, which is now considered the accepted practice.