The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
We have our first volleyball association meeting next week, and as I'm sitting here looking at a very dead basketball forum, it occurs to me to look at the volleyball page. Which doesnt take very long!! So I'm left wondering...

Why is this basketball board so very much more active than any of the others? The softball and baseball forums have been much busier this year, haven't they? But they don't come close to basketball, and football at a distant third is the only other page worth bothering with.

Why?! Is it the scintillating posts by Padgett, and Dexter who only do basketball? Or is basketball just inherently more interesting to discuss? Are the rules really that much more complicated that they need so much explanation?

Any takers?

[Edited by rainmaker on Aug 9th, 2003 at 10:29 PM]
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

The McGriff Football board is the premier discussion board for football, like it was for basketball years ago. Some of those guys also post on this football forum but not many.

About 3 years ago, many of us from the McGriff board began to frequent this board. Padgett and mick were among the first to arrive. I think you, Dan, DeNucci, and I followed shortly afterward. I can still remember mick emailing me in early in 2001 writing, "Hey, the new board is really getting good, even better than McGriff's."

I don't know that one sport is more popular than another, from an officiating discussion standpoint. I do know that the football guys on McGriff stay focused on football all year, while we're guessing what's across the street from the nike campus. I always tell people that football rules are harder than basketball but football is easier to officiate. So, there are plenty of rules discussions on the football board. I frequent this board all year long but I really start reading the McGriff football board in August, which really helps prepare me for the season. I can take an NF basketball exam anytime of year and make 95 or better on it. But football requires more study.

Oh well, maybe I'm ramblin' but those are my thoughts.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The McGriff Football board is the premier discussion board for football, like it was for basketball years ago. Some of those guys also post on this football forum but not many.

About 3 years ago, many of us from the McGriff board began to frequent this board. Padgett and mick were among the first to arrive. I think you, Dan, DeNucci, and I followed shortly afterward. I can still remember mick emailing me in early in 2001 writing, "Hey, the new board is really getting good, even better than McGriff's."

I don't know that one sport is more popular than another, from an officiating discussion standpoint. I do know that the football guys on McGriff stay focused on football all year, while we're guessing what's across the street from the nike campus. I always tell people that football rules are harder than basketball but football is easier to officiate. So, there are plenty of rules discussions on the football board. I frequent this board all year long but I really start reading the McGriff football board in August, which really helps prepare me for the season. I can take an NF basketball exam anytime of year and make 95 or better on it. But football requires more study.

Oh well, maybe I'm ramblin' but those are my thoughts.
Don't apologize -- very interesting!

I'd be interested in how the McGriff football board stays focused all year long. We don't wander often, but this time of year, what could (should?) we be discussing?
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 01:07am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Why?! Is it the scintillating posts by Padgett, and Dexter who only do basketball?
Juulie - you know I also officiate croquet (really). In fact, not only do I officiate it, I also play it. Here's a recent photo of me at a match.

BTW - those aren't my real knees. I'm smuggling walnuts.

Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 01:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

About 3 years ago, many of us from the McGriff board began to frequent this board. Padgett and mick were among the first to arrive. I think you, Dan, DeNucci, and I followed shortly afterward.
Don't forget Chuck Elias.He should be on everybody's short list.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 02:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Simple answer.

Basketball is the only sport that is played literally year-round. Football is a seasonal sport. Baseball is a seasonal sport (some regions even more seasonal). There is someone that is doing basketball somewhere. If it was not for my other sports, I could find a basketball game to officiate in all 12 months of the year if I wanted to.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
It's lucky for you that Juulie is reading this thread. . .
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: Simple answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Basketball is the only sport that is played literally year-round.
Around here, soccer is also a year-round sport.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
We have our first volleyball association meeting next week, and as I'm sitting here looking at a very dead basketball forum, it occurs to me to look at the volleyball page. Which doesnt take very long!! So I'm left wondering...

Why is this basketball board so very much more active than any of the others? The softball and baseball forums have been much busier this year, haven't they? But they don't come close to basketball, and football at a distant third is the only other page worth bothering with.

Why?! Is it the scintillating posts by Padgett, and Dexter who only do basketball? Or is basketball just inherently more interesting to discuss? Are the rules really that much more complicated that they need so much explanation?

Any takers?

[Edited by rainmaker on Aug 9th, 2003 at 10:29 PM]
I like the Guess the Quote discussion in the General forum!
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
It's lucky for you that Juulie is reading this thread. . .
Geeze,why all the hostility? I was just commenting on your,ah,longevity.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I like the Guess the Quote discussion in the General forum!
That's because you seem to know'em all!

BTW, there are 5 new quotes to be discovered!

[Edited by BktBallRef on Aug 10th, 2003 at 11:26 AM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Are the rules more complicated?

Yes. I am a grunt level volleyball official, and I can assure you there are orders of magnitude of difference in the complexity of the rules. Volleyball is a nice game, athletic, high speed, competitive, but it doesn't carry the weight of rules. Of course neither does streetball. I did a couple games yesterday with a mix of graduated D1 and D2 players and you might have been stunned to hear some of their versions of the rules. I was stunned to hear as much mouth as I did. To some extent, it goes with the outdoor game. They just think they're in their own kitchen, so to speak. The team that mouthed less won, and the player who mouthed less was the best player in the game . . . oh boy.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why?! Is it the scintillating posts by Padgett, and Dexter who only do basketball?
Wow. I don't think I've ever been called scintillating before.

And, as Padgett, I do more than basketball. No croquet for me, but I also officiate (flag) football, (indoor) soccer, and volleyball.

As to why we "drift" - I think it's the combined insanity.

[Edited by Mark Dexter on Aug 11th, 2003 at 07:54 AM]
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Geeze,why all the hostility?
No hostility. I was just saying that you're lucky. So I guess what you need to ask yourself is, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Couldn't decide whether to post this one here or in the General forum
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

And, as Padgett, I do more than basketball. No croquet for me, but I also officiate (flag) football, soccer, and volleyball.
Mark,
Is that NFHS or USSF soccer? Or both? If so I have a rules question for you on the soccer forum.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Aug 11th, 2003 at 01:39 AM]