The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 08:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Opener

Football ended Saturday. Basketball (year 27) starts tonight.

I've cut back this season. Worked 58 games last year (a mixture of BV and GV). This year I'm looking at about 40 BV games. Not that I don't love working hoops, but working football into basketball into baseball each year means it's probably a good idea to cut back a bit until I can figure out whether I want to leave a sport behind. I've been saying this for at least 10 years now and I still haven't cut a sport out, so I don't anticipate it coming anytime soon. Matter of fact, in the last 10 years I've added (and removed and re-added) college baseball and added college football.

7 games in November, 13 in December, 13 in January, and 7 in February. Seems pretty balanced to me. I'm guessing I'll work more makeups now that I have actual nights off during the season, too.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

we're not getting any younger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I've cut back this season. Worked 58 games last year (a mixture of BV and GV). This year I'm looking at about 40 BV games. Not that I don't love working hoops, but working football into basketball into baseball each year means it's probably a good idea to cut back a bit until I can figure out whether I want to leave a sport behind. I've been saying this for at least 10 years now and I still haven't cut a sport out, so I don't anticipate it coming anytime soon. Matter of fact, in the last 10 years I've added (and removed and re-added) college baseball and added college football.

7 games in November, 13 in December, 13 in January, and 7 in February. Seems pretty balanced to me. I'm guessing I'll work more makeups now that I have actual nights off during the season, too.
Yep, me too. Last year I worked about the same amount of games as you mainly because the OHSAA allowed teams to increase their regular season schedules to 22 from 20. I was accepting additional contracts thinking- I can handle this only to find out later from my legs-no you can't! Have taken on a more moderate schedule this year.
Rich, this year could be another Whitewater-Mount Union classic in D3 football right?
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You have your schedule through Feb already? I don't know what mine is for next week yet! Jealous...
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Two fun facts for me this season (so far):

*I actually have my schedule through early February. I’ve never had my schedule further than three weeks in advance, let alone three months.

*I have no BV games scheduled. None. Only GV and NCAAW. With the different codes in NYC there are different assignors for BV and GV. The GV assignors got on the stick much sooner than the BV assignors. I started receiving GV assignments (thank you, Camron) in mid-October. There are STILL tons of BV games that haven’t been assigned and the season begins December 2. I’m heading out to a BV meeting tonight. It should be interesting to say the least.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
You have your schedule through Feb already? I don't know what mine is for next week yet! Jealous...
I have most of 2014-15 already booked. They book 2 years in advance for conference games in many places here.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Rich, this year could be another Whitewater-Mount Union classic in D3 football right?
Could be. I've not seen Mount Union, obviously, but UWW is especially tough on the defensive side of the ball.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 06:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
My Dec is pretty booked, and I've got games into Feb already, but still some open dates that will hopefully fill in.

After my last Association, it's such a great benefit to be able to schedule so far out!
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 08:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

I've received 2 HS assignments so far, Dec 5th & 6th, from my out-of-town association.

I don't think I've ever worked as much as 40 HS dates in a season. Probably no more than 35 in my busiest season.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 01:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

New running clock rule here -- 40 points after the third quarter.

We flirted with it. We got to 34. Then the winning team brought in the bench and we ended up with a 30 point game.

Felt great getting back out on the floor.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wow. I have 33 games between now and the Christmas break. How much ball could you work if you chose to?
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 08:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Wow. I have 33 games between now and the Christmas break. How much ball could you work if you chose to?
Are you including things like youth or adult ball, where there are multiple games one after the other?

I could work stuff like that every weekend. I choose not to work any of it.

They play one varsity game a night here. I may work 2 on a Saturday from time to time (an afternoon and a night game), but that's it.

I work over 100 baseball games a year and probably worked 40 football dates, too

I'm better when I work quality over quantity these days.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:24pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Are you including things like youth or adult ball, where there are multiple games one after the other?

They play one varsity game a night here. I may work 2 on a Saturday from time to time (an afternoon and a night game), but that's it.

I work over 100 baseball games a year and probably worked 40 football dates, too

I had just over 20 HS games each year the last two years. Not as many as I would like and I really don't like doing wreck ball. This year however I got 4 games (one every day) for the first week. Hopefully this is good sign and there will be many many more games this year.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

most of our games are jv/v double headers. In the 33 games I mentioned, one is a college game, one is a wreck ball game, 13 of them are tournament games and the rest are league play.

I usually work 150ish games a year. That is middle of the pack for my association.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 02:30am
Do not give a damn!!

I usually work about 50 varsity contests a year during the regular season. Sometimes tournaments can take that number up to 60. That is enough for me. That is about 3 days a week and sometimes 4 if I get two games on a Saturday or one on an off day. I cannot imagine doing much more.

I also do not work girl's basketball so that makes my life so much easier with my schedule. I did early on in my career, but when I got the chance I gave that crap up.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 03:13pm.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

I'm a 3rd year official so still climbing the ladder to a larger quantity of games.

Working 2 pre-season Boys Varsity games today, 2 pre-season (JV/V) games next Friday and then moving into a sub-varsity regular season schedule. Showing 10 games currently but the rest of the schedule has yet to be published.