The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

4 T's in Season opener

I worked my first game of the season last week; Private schools, Varsity Boys. Me and my P call 4 T's in the game. I call one for 6 men on the court and one for a player slamming the ball down after a call he did not agree with. P calls one for a player grabbing the rim, and one for a player slapping the backboard. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I have 2 JV games tomorrow, 1 girls 1 boys. 2 Christian schools, surely no T's tomorrow.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingandamiss View Post
I have 2 JV games tomorrow, 1 girls 1 boys. 2 Christian schools, surely no T's tomorrow.
No but probably a buch of rowdy fans screaming about how incompitent you are. Around here, the private Christian schools have the WORST fans. Sad really.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

There is no reason to expect better behavior from a Christian School. A friend of mine teaches at a Christian School. He says they generally get two kinds of kids. One kind is the kids from religious families who are trying to shield them from the bad influences of the world. The other kind are kids who screwed up so bad at public school that the parents are trying to "fix them" by sending them to a Christian School.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingandamiss View Post
I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
I know. I'd hate to have games in which only 4 Ts get called. How boring.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I would say to try and avoid that many T's try to officiate more without the whistle. Some things are going to happen but what can we say or do off the ball or while are partner is reporting to try and circumvent poor decisions by individual players?

When players come in did the same number go out? Are we communicating as partners before putting the ball in play? Would closing on the play and getting frustrated players to go where they belong possibly keep them from doing something stupid? Unless a kid is trying to be sneaky and hide from you in a far corner, I never want to call 6 players on the court personally.

Maybe some of the more veteran officials have other ideas of what we can do to try and keep from calling many T's.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

While I do agree that allowing 6 players on the court is a failure on the part of the crew, this is early season basketball. Stuff is going to happen. Give them another week and they'll stop doing most of the stupid stuff (the kids and the crew).
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 07:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I disagree that 6 on the court is necessarily a failure of the crew. There are times it happens in spite of the best game management. As for the rest; don't worry about it. Sometimes you have games like that.

I'll be surprised if I have a backboard slapper or a ring grabber all season; let alone both, let alone both in one game. You can't prevent that stuff; and 99 times out of 100, you can't prevent the ball slamming either.

One thing you should never do is consider your game less than successful because of the number of Ts.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 08:02am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
I would say to try and avoid that many T's try to officiate more without the whistle. Some things are going to happen but what can we say or do off the ball or while are partner is reporting to try and circumvent poor decisions by individual players?

When players come in did the same number go out? Are we communicating as partners before putting the ball in play? Would closing on the play and getting frustrated players to go where they belong possibly keep them from doing something stupid? Unless a kid is trying to be sneaky and hide from you in a far corner, I never want to call 6 players on the court personally.

Maybe some of the more veteran officials have other ideas of what we can do to try and keep from calling many T's.
I disagree this this line of thinking for any game and especially for 3 out of the 4 T's called in this situation. How could he have talked to players during a dead ball to keep them from grabbing the rim or slapping the backboard? OK, so there is two of the four right there. Additionally, I'm not going to rush in to console a player because he doesn't like my partner's call or a call I made so the kid who slammed the ball is on his/her own. Finally, I would like to hear more details about how 6 players ended up on the floor. Like someone said, ultimately we cannot prevent everything and it sounds like this was two-man game which means two fewer eyes to see things.

I always cringe when I hear of officials counting T's, discouraging T's or worrying about T's. It is easier to stop calling them than to start, but I haven't witnessed any drop off in the amount of unsporting actions in basketball games so why should the T's decrease? I think we should call more because the game, and our society as a whole, is getting worse by the minute.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Okay, you have a point. I'll revise my statement. Allowing 6 players on the court is nearly always a failure on the part of the crew.

If you hang around here long enough you'll hear stories o'plenty about weird situations where the 6th player got there despite the crew's efforts. But in my real life, I've never had a 6th player that I didn't miss. And, in my real life, I've never seen a 6th player that wasn't just missed by the crew.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Okay, you have a point. I'll revise my statement. Allowing 6 players on the court is nearly always a failure on the part of the crew.

If you hang around here long enough you'll hear stories o'plenty about weird situations where the 6th player got there despite the crew's efforts. But in my real life, I've never had a 6th player that I didn't miss. And, in my real life, I've never seen a 6th player that wasn't just missed by the crew.
But it's still a coaching failure, not an officiating failure.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

While sometimes things happen out of the blue sometimes they can be prevented by dealing with minor aggressions early. For example if people were showing disapproval with calls early a word to the player or captain may prevent the ball spike later.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

If making sure 10 players (and only 10) are on the court were as much the officials' responsibility as you make it out to be, I'm sure it wouldn't be a technical foul.

Allowing 6 players on the court is as much of a failure by the crew as not making sure the foul count is even. We're supposed to call the game fairly, but it's the coaches' jobs to make sure their players aren't fouling and have the right number of players on the court. That's why THEY get the technical, not US.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'll be surprised if I have a backboard slapper or a ring grabber all season
I had a ring grabber in a 6th grade boys rec game quite a while ago. He was Maurice Lucas' son. Not kidding.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
While sometimes things happen out of the blue sometimes they can be prevented by dealing with minor aggressions early. For example if people were showing disapproval with calls early a word to the player or captain may prevent the ball spike later.
Sometimes it happens this way, sometimes they go from zero to sixty in 2 seconds, and sometimes you talk to them and it doesn't help.

I'm only reacting to the insinuation that 4 Ts is a sign of failure.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

It is the responsibility of the officials to ensure that there are five players from each team on the floor before the ball is put into play. Do others also have responsibilities...yes, but that does not eliminate or reduce the official’s responsibilities.