The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Question Quick uniform question

I'm a super green brand spankin new starting official. That being said, I need some advice on a shirt

I got a Smitty shirt to start with, not crazy about it. Shopping around, I've come across mainly Smitty, Honig and Keen. Thoughts? I'd like to get a "tall" size as I'm a big guy, so it stays tucked in. It appears that Honig is the only one that offers said size. Not sure if I'm correct or not. Also need some good shoes to start with. Are the 623's decent or should I go for something else? Thanks in advance!!!
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the NB623 as one of the pairs in my rotation. I like the sizing options but the shoe can be a bit slippery at times (more so with a pair I have from a couple of years ago).

Many will steer you to the Reebok Zigs, but they don't fit me.

You can try tucking your shirt in your compression shorts, or buying a rubber belt, or getting pants with a rubberized inside waistband.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! I'm going with some light weight slacks I had already for pants as I don't see a huge difference between those and the official, well, official pants. I've seen officials with belts and without as well, does it really matter?
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutat View Post
Thanks! I'm going with some light weight slacks I had already for pants as I don't see a huge difference between those and the official, well, official pants. I've seen officials with belts and without as well, does it really matter?
Depends on your area and what level you aspire to do. Beltless is always (?) acceptable; belts might or might not be. So, given a choice, ....

The belt I was talking about goes over your shirt, under your pants -- to keep the shirt tucked in.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Right, the flex belt if I'm not mistaken. I'll probably grab one of those as well. I appreciate the input!
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:12pm
TODO: creative title here

Regular black dress slacks will work for someone just starting out... but, IMHO, it'll be well worth the investment in a pair of actual officiating pants.

I can understand not wanting to spend the money on them initially, but if it was me, I'd use one of my early game checks on a good pair of pants.

As for shoes, buy a pair that are comfortable for you. If you're wearing ill-fitting shoes, it'll be nothing but a distraction (or worse, lead to injury).
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I agree on the slacks...take your first check and buy some beltless. Hate to say it but all those years growing up when my mom made me dress nice on test days because it aids in confidence...well it is true and I have found in officiating (any sport) looking the part just gives you that air of confidence...IMO.

On the shoes I personally swear by the zigs. I had knee issues for years and I finally bought a pair of zigs for everyday running. I only wear zigs now for everyday life and officiating, even my plate shoes are zigs and my knees are A-OK. They also are some of the more athletic looking officals shoes out there and like I said about the pants...helps you look the part.

I wear a flexbelt for baseball because that is all I have found that works but for basketball I tuck into my shorts and the beltless pants aid as well.

Welcome to the "profession"...
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Toto, I Have A Feeling We're Not In Kansas Anymore ...

Quote:
I've seen officials with belts and without as well, does it really matter?
It doesn't matter one iota here in my little corner of Connecticut, but, take it from one of the few Forum members, maybe the only Forum member, who wears a belt, check your local listings. When in Kansas do what Kansan officials do.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:37pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Right, the flex belt if I'm not mistaken. I'll probably grab one of those as well. I appreciate the input!
I received the rubberized flex belt with my starter pack last year and not even a year (and 12 game dates) later, it's already showing signs of wear and cracks in the rubber. So, I just ordered and received Honig's Ultimate Velcro belt. My next games aren't until this weekend, but I tried it on already and love it. It's easier to get on/off. And, I'm hoping it last longer as well.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 12:34am
Stubborn Member

I love the shirts sold at TheOfficialsChoice.com. Those like the Cliff Keen shirts are too itchy IMO. The Official's Choice also has yearly sales of $10 per shirt.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I received the rubberized flex belt with my starter pack last year and not even a year (and 12 game dates) later, it's already showing signs of wear and cracks in the rubber. So, I just ordered and received Honig's Ultimate Velcro belt. My next games aren't until this weekend, but I tried it on already and love it. It's easier to get on/off. And, I'm hoping it last longer as well.
I'm on my second one (rubber flex belt) after several years. It showed signs of wear early but it still worked perfect for years.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I've used them both over the years. Velcro wore out for me after a while. Normal wear. Got good use out of both.

I just prefer the more flexible rubberized flex.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 08:24am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I've used them both over the years. Velcro wore out for me after a while. Normal wear. Got good use out of both.
The velcro on my ultimate belt from Purchase Officials wore out after less than six months of use. I am thinking about getting the rubber flex belt.

Has anyone tried the shirt lock from Honig's?
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Wow! You all are great! Thanks for the advice. OK, now you got me thinking I should go ahead with the pants. What type do you all prefer? Are the Smitty pants decent or no?
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I love the shirts sold at TheOfficialsChoice.com.
Are they still in business? I haven't received an email from them in a couple of months, the website lists items with "september special" and the only HS shirts they show are pink/black.

Quote:
Wow! You all are great! Thanks for the advice. OK, now you got me thinking I should go ahead with the pants. What type do you all prefer? Are the Smitty pants decent or no?
I've heard good things about smitty's, but someone who had a new pair said they were too big through the hips / thighs. I've had good luck with Honigs in the past, but it's been a few years. this site is also good: REFEREE PANT

and this site seems to be the same, but a few dollars less:

REFEREE PANT

When I ordered from the first a month or so ago, I got original sans-a-belts. Don't know if those are still available, or if it's now "the same thing from the same factory but with a different label" (because sans-a-belt has decided not to carry them)