The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Belmont-UNC: Block/Push/No-call (video)

Thoughts?

I've often wondered - revised guidelines or not - how these end up being no-calls but that's just me.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Ship it.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Thoughts?

I've often wondered - revised guidelines or not - how these end up being no-calls but that's just me.
Agree....blatant and obvious push on UNC. There is no reason to not call that at any stage of any game.

EDIT....and I see that Belmont was able to still pull out the win without getting that deserved call so late in the game....justice prevails. Interesting stat from the game...Belmont was whistleed for substantially more fouls than UNC and UNC shot over twice as many FTs yet Belmont made nearly the same number of FTs as UNC missed more FTs than Belmont attempted....91% vs 46%...ouch.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 09:02pm.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I'm not that experienced with 3-man; Since all the players were in the backcourt due to the press, where should the Lead be in this situation? I'm assuming that they wouldn't be all the way down on the other end of the court if no players are there yet.

Since the contact was between the players closest to the Lead (wherever the lead was), would this be the Lead's call? Or is the Lead supposed to stay out of anything in the back court -- meaning that this is the C's primary?
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I'm not that experienced with 3-man; Since all the players were in the backcourt due to the press, where should the Lead be in this situation? I'm assuming that they wouldn't be all the way down on the other end of the court if no players are there yet.

Since the contact was between the players closest to the Lead (wherever the lead was), would this be the Lead's call? Or is the Lead supposed to stay out of anything in the back court -- meaning that this is the C's primary?
L should have been somewhere between the 28' mark at the other end of the court and the division line.

C or L can get this (C is probably looking at the players along the FT line)
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post

The new L should be a step or two ahead of the last player. Nine players are in UNC’s front court when the play begins so the L is likely ahead of the last Belmont defender. In terms of who has what, the C covers the area between the top of each key. The contact was right at the top of the key so it was C’s call.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Should be C's call, but he appears to be looking at all of the guys in the middle of the lane. I would think he would have seen this anyway, but one never knows.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 10:56am
Stubborn Member

I don't blame the officials at all for eating their whistles on the play.

The Belmont player never got legal guarding position, while the player for UNC didn't extend his arms or commit any act like he was pushing. I know the contact was a bit much, but contact alone does not mean there was a foul. If it wasn't for the fact that the defender was a little off balance I bet he doesn't fall, and nobody questions the no-call. But people see a player fall and think there must be a foul somewhere.

Most of the time when there is a "crash" like this, there is a penalty somewhere. But this looks like one of those cases where there isn't.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 10:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I don't blame the officials at all for eating their whistles on the play.

The Belmont player never got legal guarding position, while the player for UNC didn't extend his arms or commit any act like he was pushing. I know the contact was a bit much, but contact alone does not mean there was a foul. If it wasn't for the fact that the defender was a little off balance I bet he doesn't fall, and nobody questions the no-call. But people see a player fall and think there must be a foul somewhere.

Most of the time when there is a "crash" like this, there is a penalty somewhere. But this looks like one of those cases where there isn't.
LGP is not the issue. He set a screen and was moving in the same direction of the opponent and got run over. LGP applies to the player with the ball, not an off ball player.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:07am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
lgp is not the issue. He set a screen and was moving in the same direction of the opponent and got run over. Lgp applies to the player with the ball, not an off ball player.

Peace
doh!
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Even if LGP is required, he certainly does have it.

Two feet down, facing his opponent. Moving backwards and laterally the whole time, thus never losing LGP.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:23am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Even if LGP is required, he certainly does have it.

Two feet down, facing his opponent. Moving backwards and laterally the whole time, thus never losing LGP.
I'm not sure that's how I see it, but if I were an observer I wouldn't make a big deal about it either way.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm not sure that's how I see it, but if I were an observer I wouldn't make a big deal about it either way.
Curiously, which part do you think he's missing?
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:34am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Curiously, which part do you think he's missing?
The defender seems to slow down in order to draw the push. If the defender was moving backward and laterally correctly, the offensive player wouldn't have hit him hard enough to knock him over.

Like I originally said, the offensive player doesn't lower his shoulder, extend his arms, or lean forward into the defender.

So I'm not sure who to blame for the contact, thus making me okay with the non-call.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Watching this in real time I can see this call going either way. When the play is slowed down: Seems as if the defensive player was anticipating the contact and started to fall prior to.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.