The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 12:55pm
Stubborn Member

"It's for the kids" is NOT crap. The rules are there to create an even playing environment so that they can learn and have fun at the same time. They're not there so officials can be hard-asses about them.

It's amazing how many officials take themselves so seriously.

EDIT: Then again, perhaps I should say the game is about the players... whether they are in 3rd grade or professional. This particular case just dealt with kids is all.

Last edited by BryanV21; Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 01:00pm.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 01:17pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
When I was in Montana there was a team with a DS player on it. This kid could shoot the lights out...no seriously! Played JV for like 5 years and was a crowd favorite in every small town I officiated him in.

It was never discussed with the coaches or anything but everyone knew that he would get a little leeway. He didn't get alot though, a stutter step here an extra slide there if he couldn't stop. But it was always funny to watch him hit a "J" in some defenders face and then leave his arm in the air....priceless

I remember the first time I saw him, I walk on the court ant the team has 6 kids...one with DS. Needless to say I was initially like WTF? By the end of the year I had seen that team 6 or 7 times and cherished it every time. I watched him drop nine 3's on 9-10 shooting one night...team only had like 40 total and they lost by mercy rule but I tell you what, the place was electric. He was called for travel from time to time and double dribble was automatic but there was never a travesty of the game in any sense.

I love what I do...been doing this for years...but until I started "enjoying" it and letting things like this go, I never knew how much I loved calling games. Some of you need to lighten up and enjoy this stuff as opposed to feeling that it threatens your authority by doing so.

Oh and I also challenge anyone that loves this to get out and officiate a special olympics...it will change you for the better I guarantee.
we need a "like" button