The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS app (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96558-nfhs-app.html)

BillyMac Mon Nov 18, 2013 06:54pm

Lots Of Dead Trees ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpirtle (Post 911139)
Are there still any states that DO NOT take their tests online? Anyone still take their test on paper..??

Connecticut (100% IAABO): Paper and pencil IAABO Refresher Exam.

Officials don't belong to the NFHS, we belong to IAABO, and since we don't belong to the NFHS, even though we use Arbiter, we can't gain access to the NFHS "Central Hub", or the "Master Cylinder", or whatever.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Nov 18, 2013 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpirtle (Post 911139)
Are there still any states that DO NOT take their tests online? For example, TX officials go the Arbiter (ArbiterSports.com) under our regulating agency which is UIL. There we can access all Federation tests.

But I looked around under the NFHS "Central Hub" under a link titled "Testing". There I saw that 10 or 11 states are listed as using the NFHS Testing site. Here is the list: Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, D.C., Idaho, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, & Virginia.

I know we have some officials on this string from some of these states. Do you take your tests online..?? On Arbiter..?? Another website..?? Anyone still take their test on paper..?? (That's that white flat stuff with print on it.)

Alaska still tests on paper.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Nov 18, 2013 08:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpirtle (Post 911123)
When all of these books (Rule Book, Case Book, Officials Manual, & Handbook) are available on the NFHS "Central Hub" on ArbiterSports.com..?? Unless some states do not have access to this website for some reason. Is this the case?

One other problem is the format of the officials manual. Even with an interject connection, I can't open the official's manual on my iPad or iPhone because of the format it's in.

I really wish NFHS would get their act together and get ion the 21st century. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to get these publications in a readable e-format.

Moosie74 Tue Nov 19, 2013 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 911133)
I don't think it costs anything.

https://nfhs.arbitersports.com

It may not cost anything but the publications link says that content is available only to NFHS officials members. We're an IAABO board in Maine for basketball and a ASA association for softball so I can't access materials for either sport.

Plus at $7 for the Kindle book, it's not exactly a bank breaker

BillyMac Tue Nov 19, 2013 05:10pm

Still Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 911213)
Plus at $7 for the Kindle book, it's not exactly a bank breaker

I now know that I can read this on a PC (I don't own a Kindle) by downloading an application from Amazon.

So now my question is, can I copy, and paste from the "read on a PC" Kindle NFHS rulebook (in order to post citations on the Forum)?

Moosie74 Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 911293)
I now know that I can read this on a PC (I don't own a Kindle) by downloading an application from Amazon.

So now my question is, can I copy, and paste from the "read on a PC" Kindle NFHS rulebook (in order to post citations on the Forum)?

You can download the app for Windows, Mac, Web and also for mobile.

You can also copy and paste from it, make notes and highlight sections and also you can highlight text and google it. So you can do an awful lot with it.

BillyMac Wed Nov 20, 2013 05:49pm

Still Slightly Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 911356)
You can download the app for Windows, Mac, Web and also for mobile. You can also copy and paste from it, make notes and highlight sections and also you can highlight text and goggle it. So you can do an awful lot with it.

It was my understanding that one could only copy, and paste, about 10% of the material to prevent someone from copying the entire book.