The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Finishing a Man Down

So I was at the Oregon Men's game last night and 11 or 12 minutes to go in the 2nd half and all of the sudden the crew is down to 2 man. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone out there? It's probably easy enough losing 1 off a 3 man crew. Anyone experience losing 1 from a 2 man crew and what did you do?
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 05:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Anyone experience losing 1 from a 2 man crew and what did you do?
Many of us have been forced to do games under less than ideal circumstances, although for me, it's never been a BIG game.

When something like this happens, usually before the game, I'll have some special words at the captains meeting and coaches meeting, about doing the best I can, positioning, watching the ball, lane violations/3 seconds, off ball contact, coaches and player tolerance (don't test me tonight), help with out of bounds plays, etc.

That being said, there are some good helpers on here (use search feature or BillyMac may post) on how to adjust your game when doing a solo act - especially on positioning to reduce running and help see the floor better.

Bottom Line - hey, it happens.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Seek And You Will Find (Matthew 7:7) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
That being said, there are some good helpers on here (use search feature or BillyMac may post) on how to adjust your game when doing a solo act - especially on positioning to reduce running and help see the floor better.
One-Person Officiating Guidelines

Note: This Connecticut statewide draft (October 2008) was never made "official".

It is quite possible that you will eventually officiate a game by yourself. This document offers officiating guidelines and one-person officiating mechanics you should follow.

Assignment Commissioner
- Contact the Commissioner either before or after the game.
- If you are assigned a game by the Assignment Commissioner, DO NOT accept an offer from a parent, coach, or a non-IAABO certified official. Work alone. Liability issues arise if you work with anyone other than a certified IAABO official.

Coaches and Administrators Conference
- Conduct a pre-game meeting with both coaches and the game administrator.
- Confirm that everyone is in agreement.
- Request coaches cooperation and express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and their teams under control.
- Stress and remind them of the importance of good sportsmanship and the example that they can and should set for their players.

Pregame Captains-Coaches Meeting
- Conduct at 2-minute mark
- Explain that you will appreciate and expect the cooperation from both teams.
- Explain that you expect the players to retrieve all loose balls once the whistle is sounded.

Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
- As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor.
- Avoid getting caught on the end line.
- You must work hard at getting open looks and move to obtain proper angles in order to be in the most advantageous position to referee all players. Have a high level of awareness on plays to the basket and shooters.

Start/Stop Clock
- You must stop/start clock at all opportunities using the proper mechanic. For example, after a missed free throw that will remain live, you must start the clock.

Out of Bounds
- Request players and coaches to assist you on out of bounds violations if necessary.
- If disagreement results, use the alternating possession arrow to make decision.
- After designating the throw-in spot, move to your position (see Floor Coverage) and either bounce or toss the ball to the player for the throw-in.

Time Outs
- Stand at the division line, ¾ away from the scorer’s table with ball on hip toward the teams’ basket which will have control of the ball. After 1st horn, move to area on the playing court where play will resume.

Three Point Shots
- Do not guess. Move to improve your angle, if you don’t know, it counts as 2-points the same as if there were two officials working the game.

Reporting Fouls
- Move towards an area visible to the scorers and keeping as many players within your field of vision.

Free Throw Coverage
- Assemble the players and administer every free throw from the Trail position.
- Ensure proper alignment of players on free throw lane lines, leaving the first spaces between the end line and neutral blocks vacant.
- Closely monitor disconcertion.

Presses
- Remain at the free throw line extended in the backcourt, (nearest or opposite) the scorer/timer table and move up the court with the players.

Maintain Control
- Maintain your composure.
- You may need to blow your whistle more so players do not take advantage of the situation.
- Take charge early to help keep the crazy stuff in check.
- Do not argue with the coaches. Keep your cool and remind them that you are working hard for them.
- Do the best you can. It is not your fault that this situation occurred.
- Remember that, if approached properly, people will almost always be willing to assist.
- Remember that you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one.

Sources: Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and
Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association)

Note: This section confuses me: "Floor Coverage - Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table ... This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches."

Do they want you on the same side as the coaches? If so, then why offer the option of the other side? I prefer the side opposite the table. The coaches, if they're honest, can help me on the table side boundary, and if they don't, then I can go to the arrow.

Plus You Get A 150% Fee ...

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, due to many officials being unavailable for mid afternoon, and late afternoon games, i.e middle school games (3:30 p.m.), and freshman games (4:00 p.m.), some of these assignments are often scheduled, and covered, by only one official.

Most of us have day jobs. I guess that the fans all know this because they keep yelling to me, "Hey ref. Don't quit you day job".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Plus You Get A 150% Fee ...
I know I'm digressing but I never understood the 1½ fee thing. Two fees were going to be paid if both officials were there so it isn't as though the money isn't available. We're doing the work of two people, so.....
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 09:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I know I'm digressing but I never understood the 1½ fee thing. Two fees were going to be paid if both officials were there so it isn't as though the money isn't available. We're doing the work of two people, so.....
The school/league isn't getting what they paid for if they pay the double fee. I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say that a single official is working twice as hard, but I believe that schools/leagues/teams can agree that a single official works harder than multiple officials. From the school/league's perspective, I can understand why they wouldn't want to pay full cost for a single official.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheapskates ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
The school/league isn't getting what they paid for if they pay the double fee. I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say that a single official is working twice as hard, but I believe that schools/leagues/teams can agree that a single official works harder than multiple officials. From the school/league's perspective, I can understand why they wouldn't want to pay full cost for a single official.
And the 150% fee for one official keeps schools, especially middle schools, and freshman programs, from asking for only one assigned official to save costs. For the extra 50% they might as well go with two officials, as God intended (in Connecticut, "The Land That Time Forgot").
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One-Person Officiating Guidelines

Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
I had to work most of a JV game solo yesterday due to a scheduling mishap (One of the Varsity officials joined me mid-way through the third quarter).

Just wanted to say that I was glad I had seen this thread; it was very helpful to have some "plan" for how to handle things going in.

One comment ... in my game, both teams were pressing and the skill level was not great. It became clear right away that the game was going to be played on the right side of the court (as both ball handlers strongly favored their right hands, especially in the face of full court pressure). I found that by sticking to the coaches side, I was on the wrong side of the action for one of the teams and had a great view for the other.

Given this, I started looping around behind the ball handler to ensure that I was on the right side of the court in all instances. -- Basically I was working in a counterclockwise circle from foul line to foul line, trailing the ball handler and keeping everything in front of me until the ball crossed half court. I found this a very helpful adjustment in my game.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago I worked a JV-Boys game by myself. At the end of the year I requested 50% more pay for doing the game solo. The ASSignor got angry with me I did not get extra pay and I did not receive assignments from him for 2 years.
Beginning of this school year it was told to us that ALL basketball game require 2 officials to start the game. Thus when I was the only official for a JV-Boys game, I did not start the game until another official showed up. I waited at least 40 minutes.
I have to find out how long we are required to wait until we can go home?
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
A few years ago I worked a JV-Boys game by myself. At the end of the year I requested 50% more pay for doing the game solo. The ASSignor got angry with me I did not get extra pay and I did not receive assignments from him for 2 years.
Beginning of this school year it was told to us that ALL basketball game require 2 officials to start the game. Thus when I was the only official for a JV-Boys game, I did not start the game until another official showed up. I waited at least 40 minutes.
Is your assignor chosen by your officials or the schools? He certainly doesn't support his officials. I would consider mounting a campaign to replace him. Officials need an assignor who backs them.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes -- you need to find out what the rules are.

Here, we work solo.

FWIW, I agree that you were wrong to ask for more $ on your own. I do agree that the rules should be that you should be paid more if you work solo (and you are allowed to do so).
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago I assisted an official who was working solo during an 8th grade boys game. Only reason why I was helping him from the table was cause there were no other officials available (schedule conflict, illness, or other).

The primary areas I helped out with were table side out of bounds & coaches calling time outs.

I did minor assisting with the calling of fouls, & both coaches did not mind.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

On my list of the top 10 ways to deal with the issue, this would be number 11.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A few years ago I worked a JV-Boys game by myself. At the end of the year I requested 50% more pay for doing the game solo.
A few things...

One...I would have ASKED (what the procedure was) not REQUESTED (more $$)

Two...Are you in it for the $$ ONLY? (Even if you are...and that's OK...how did that work out for you?)

Three...I would have worked the game FREE before I pissed off an assignor. Call it politics if you wish...
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 10:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm actually on the other side of this equation.

I do not see why a school should have to pay for 2 officials (or even 1.5) if they expected two and only one showed up.

Perhaps the association or the assignor should have to pony up extra for the official, but why should the school?

I worked a quarter and a half in the JV game when that official came up lame and I happened to be there watching. The only thing that surprised me was that the official didn't offer me a dime of his check for doing so even though he asked if I could finish for him. (And no, I never asked him for any of it.)
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of week ago I was working a girls varsity game as part of a 3 man crew and one of the officials pulled a hammy in the 2nd quarter. He was scheduled to work a college bowl game in about a week and half. He toughed it out through the 3rd quarter. But he was clearly hurting and myself and the other official told him that it was not worth having him further injuring himself and we ended up finishing the game. The game was a blow out. Prior to him leaving he spoke with the AD and both coaches.