View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One-Person Officiating Guidelines

Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
I had to work most of a JV game solo yesterday due to a scheduling mishap (One of the Varsity officials joined me mid-way through the third quarter).

Just wanted to say that I was glad I had seen this thread; it was very helpful to have some "plan" for how to handle things going in.

One comment ... in my game, both teams were pressing and the skill level was not great. It became clear right away that the game was going to be played on the right side of the court (as both ball handlers strongly favored their right hands, especially in the face of full court pressure). I found that by sticking to the coaches side, I was on the wrong side of the action for one of the teams and had a great view for the other.

Given this, I started looping around behind the ball handler to ensure that I was on the right side of the court in all instances. -- Basically I was working in a counterclockwise circle from foul line to foul line, trailing the ball handler and keeping everything in front of me until the ball crossed half court. I found this a very helpful adjustment in my game.