The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 12:40am
C'mon man!!

So it begins......

Did my first games tonight since June. Wreck ball it was. Had three in a row with a bunch of washout high school players. I int and T the first game, nothing the second then a double tech, and then 2 techs on the same player To make for in the third game. A1 was going to the basket from the 3 point line on a fast break with two defenders with him, he loses the ball probably fouled but my partner no calls it and gives it back to B. Player is not happy and swears (this league is automatic T for swearing). I heard clear down at the other end of the court. My P didn't know that it was an automatic foul and let it slide.

So I rang him up from where I was. Player didn't like it as he had to sit for 5. A couple more times down the court A1 still complaining from the bench and I tell him "You're about 2 seconds from getting tossed. I truly didn't want to toss him but he then proceeds to call me a clown and Whack!! see ya. Both teams are whining the whole time about pretty much everything. I didn't want to start handing out T's like candy so we pushed through it. I tried to get my partner to tighten up midway through the first half but he said, Oh it's not that bad.

League rules state that an ejected player has to leave which he did. Well 25 minutes later when I head out to my car, he's out there wanting to give me a piece of his mind about how I told them to calm down but then I go ahead and make emotional calls to get back at the players or some such nonsense. Also said, "You had better not come back cause you'll regret it.

If your gonna continue to complain and demean me or the crew, I am going to send you packing. Both of those T's are as easy as they come.

Anyway,
Lesson learned-block this partner as he has always been this way and never enforces the rules.

Question- what do you do in these situations where the players continue to complain, there are no coaches, and you don't want to completely destroy the flow of the game? (Besides don't do Wreck ball, of course )
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Did my first games tonight since June. Wreck ball it was. Had three in a row with a bunch of washout high school players. I int and T the first game, nothing the second then a double tech, and then 2 techs on the same player To make for in the third game. A1 was going to the basket from the 3 point line on a fast break with two defenders with him, he loses the ball probably fouled but my partner no calls it and gives it back to B. Player is not happy and swears (this league is automatic T for swearing). I heard clear down at the other end of the court. My P didn't know that it was an automatic foul and let it slide.

So I rang him up from where I was. Player didn't like it as he had to sit for 5. A couple more times down the court A1 still complaining from the bench and I tell him "You're about 2 seconds from getting tossed. I truly didn't want to toss him but he then proceeds to call me a clown and Whack!! see ya. Both teams are whining the whole time about pretty much everything. I didn't want to start handing out T's like candy so we pushed through it. I tried to get my partner to tighten up midway through the first half but he said, Oh it's not that bad.

League rules state that an ejected player has to leave which he did. Well 25 minutes later when I head out to my car, he's out there wanting to give me a piece of his mind about how I told them to calm down but then I go ahead and make emotional calls to get back at the players or some such nonsense. Also said, "You had better not come back cause you'll regret it.

If your gonna continue to complain and demean me or the crew, I am going to send you packing. Both of those T's are as easy as they come.

Anyway,
Lesson learned-block this partner as he has always been this way and never enforces the rules.

Question- what do you do in these situations where the players continue to complain, there are no coaches, and you don't want to completely destroy the flow of the game? (Besides don't do Wreck ball, of course )
I'm of the opinion that you just whack em and stack em until the rest of em get a clue that you aren't gonna put up with their crap, game flow be damned.

And the first time someone waits around to confront me in the parking lot, I'm pulling out my cell phone and calling the cops.

I hadn't worked rec league for a long time until last season when I needed the extra cash flow. I was told that they hadn't seen anyone call as many Ts as I did in awhile. This particular adult league was sponsored by the local Boys and Girls CLub, and every T generated a $5 fine which went straight to them, so it was for a good cause.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A couple more times down the court A1 still complaining from the bench and I tell him "You're about 2 seconds from getting tossed.
Never, never no not ever say this or anything like it. Granted the guy was being a jerk but all that does is being you to his level and it opens you up for issues with your assignor.

If you're going to toss him, toss him. If he doesn't understand why he's been tossed then he really needed to go.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 07:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well, you've eliminated my participation in the conversation.

But, I'm T'ing until they learn. If all that whining is going on, then there really isn't any flow to worry about.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:42am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Never, never no not ever say this or anything like it. Granted the guy was being a jerk but all that does is being you to his level and it opens you up for issues with your assignor.

If you're going to toss him, toss him. If he doesn't understand why he's been tossed then he really needed to go.
I hear ya, not the best thing to say, but I really didn't want to toss him. I hate doing it but I sure won't hesitate to do it. I am starting to think that your philosophies of whack and stack might not be a bad idea. Guess I will let you know in a couple of weeks (Halloween, no games).

Apparently the police were called by GM after the game who also talked with my assignor. Both were happy with my work on the court and to me that is the most important. Not sure what the police did if anything but I will try and find out for ya.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:46am
Ok is the new good

I only do kids leagues in off season beacuse of the hassle with Adult Leagues that you describe. But I have had vets tell me to take on these type of games where the hassle factor is high beacuse it will teach me good game managment skills
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:50am
Eschew obfuscation.

I love coming here and reading posts like this to remind myself why I don't ref wreck ball...
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hear ya, not the best thing to say, but I really didn't want to toss him. I hate doing it but I sure won't hesitate to do it. I am starting to think that your philosophies of whack and stack might not be a bad idea. Guess I will let you know in a couple of weeks (Halloween, no games).

Apparently the police were called by GM after the game who also talked with my assignor. Both were happy with my work on the court and to me that is the most important. Not sure what the police did if anything but I will try and find out for ya.
It’s rec ball. Ain’t no one there going to the NBA. If they want to play ball, fine. If they don’t, they go home. The jerks are going to be jerks regardless of what you do.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 12:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I didn't want to start handing out T's like candy

(snip)
Question- what do you do in these situations where the players continue to complain, there are no coaches, and you don't want to completely destroy the flow of the game?
The flow is already destroyed, sometimes the only way to restore it is to turn into the candy man.

Sometimes it doesn't matter, you just need to hand out the candy because it's deserved. It may not fix this game, but you can bet it'll help with the next one.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ever since reading Verbal Judo it has been easier to find way to handle these kind of things.

Lately this is what I do. We are getting ready to toss the ball for the mens game. Guys who are your captains? White 11 Blue 6 gotcha. Right there they know these guys are responsible for helping me manage their group.

Late first half starting to get some complaining. White 11 you have a moment. Tell your crew we are not discussing calls with them. If they have a concern gather it and bring it to us respectfully.

If a player does something that requires a T you just call it. It is rare if you are calling a good game that they will lift to the T level because you have respectfully found a captain, talked nicely to them and you are calling a good game. If your partner misses something talk to them and help lift their game. Let the captain know we missed that, we arent perfect we will do better, if needed.

And here is the super key to making a lot of money with Wreck mens ball and enjoying it.

Get your own partner. Tell your assignor. I work great with Scott and when I have a wreck official who doesnt care it is hard on you, the men and I dont enjoy working. So let me find my partner for next Tuesday.

Once I did this all Wreck is worth the time and sometimes it is great. When Wreck players see two partners being consistent, being respectful and working hard you tend to have very very few problems. It improves your play calling and game management and if you can handle 10 tired super stars after their long day at work it is pretty easy to handle one grumpy HS coach.

Just my two cents. Thanks for reading this wall of text.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:40pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Ever since reading Verbal Judo it has been easier to find way to handle these kind of things.

Lately this is what I do. We are getting ready to toss the ball for the mens game. Guys who are your captains? White 11 Blue 6 gotcha. Right there they know these guys are responsible for helping me manage their group.

Late first half starting to get some complaining. White 11 you have a moment. Tell your crew we are not discussing calls with them. If they have a concern gather it and bring it to us respectfully.

If a player does something that requires a T you just call it. It is rare if you are calling a good game that they will lift to the T level because you have respectfully found a captain, talked nicely to them and you are calling a good game. If your partner misses something talk to them and help lift their game. Let the captain know we missed that, we arent perfect we will do better, if needed.

And here is the super key to making a lot of money with Wreck mens ball and enjoying it.

Get your own partner. Tell your assignor. I work great with Scott and when I have a wreck official who doesnt care it is hard on you, the men and I dont enjoy working. So let me find my partner for next Tuesday.

Once I did this all Wreck is worth the time and sometimes it is great. When Wreck players see two partners being consistent, being respectful and working hard you tend to have very very few problems. It improves your play calling and game management and if you can handle 10 tired super stars after their long day at work it is pretty easy to handle one grumpy HS coach.

Just my two cents. Thanks for reading this wall of text.
Really like the idea about finding your own partner. This guy I worked with, I worked with him my first year, I think we are within one year of each other. I blocked him because he only had criticism (probably deserved) but couldn't see that he did it inappropriately and he was definitely not the picture perfect example of a great referee. He really hasn't improved since then and I have tried to give him a chance and let it go, but he doesn't help me improve my game or keep control of the hoodlums.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It’s rec ball. Ain’t no one there going to the NBA.
Royce White allegedly played YMCA ball between stints at Minnesota and Iowa State. Although he's not making the NBA cuz he ain't good enough...
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Really like the idea about finding your own partner. This guy I worked with, I worked with him my first year, I think we are within one year of each other. I blocked him because he only had criticism (probably deserved) but couldn't see that he did it inappropriately and he was definitely not the picture perfect example of a great referee. He really hasn't improved since then and I have tried to give him a chance and let it go, but he doesn't help me improve my game or keep control of the hoodlums.
I think BigT has some good advice if your'e working rec ball, but I would add that there are going to be some games, and leagues, where it won't matter how good a game you call or how professional you act. Turds are turds.

Don't base your assessment of your own performance on how the crybabies treat you.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 03:22pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Really like the idea about finding your own partner. This guy I worked with, I worked with him my first year, I think we are within one year of each other. I blocked him because he only had criticism (probably deserved) but couldn't see that he did it inappropriately and he was definitely not the picture perfect example of a great referee. .
I agree about trying to have influence over who your partner is...during the regular season, I give my assignor a list of partners that I would like to work with to help my development and he is very accomodating...like the old saying goes high tide raises all boats
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 04:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anchors Aweigh ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
The old saying goes high tide raises all boats ...
Until the anchor drags the boat underwater. We've all worked with such "anchors".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)