View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Did my first games tonight since June. Wreck ball it was. Had three in a row with a bunch of washout high school players. I int and T the first game, nothing the second then a double tech, and then 2 techs on the same player To make for in the third game. A1 was going to the basket from the 3 point line on a fast break with two defenders with him, he loses the ball probably fouled but my partner no calls it and gives it back to B. Player is not happy and swears (this league is automatic T for swearing). I heard clear down at the other end of the court. My P didn't know that it was an automatic foul and let it slide.

So I rang him up from where I was. Player didn't like it as he had to sit for 5. A couple more times down the court A1 still complaining from the bench and I tell him "You're about 2 seconds from getting tossed. I truly didn't want to toss him but he then proceeds to call me a clown and Whack!! see ya. Both teams are whining the whole time about pretty much everything. I didn't want to start handing out T's like candy so we pushed through it. I tried to get my partner to tighten up midway through the first half but he said, Oh it's not that bad.

League rules state that an ejected player has to leave which he did. Well 25 minutes later when I head out to my car, he's out there wanting to give me a piece of his mind about how I told them to calm down but then I go ahead and make emotional calls to get back at the players or some such nonsense. Also said, "You had better not come back cause you'll regret it.

If your gonna continue to complain and demean me or the crew, I am going to send you packing. Both of those T's are as easy as they come.

Anyway,
Lesson learned-block this partner as he has always been this way and never enforces the rules.

Question- what do you do in these situations where the players continue to complain, there are no coaches, and you don't want to completely destroy the flow of the game? (Besides don't do Wreck ball, of course )
I'm of the opinion that you just whack em and stack em until the rest of em get a clue that you aren't gonna put up with their crap, game flow be damned.

And the first time someone waits around to confront me in the parking lot, I'm pulling out my cell phone and calling the cops.

I hadn't worked rec league for a long time until last season when I needed the extra cash flow. I was told that they hadn't seen anyone call as many Ts as I did in awhile. This particular adult league was sponsored by the local Boys and Girls CLub, and every T generated a $5 fine which went straight to them, so it was for a good cause.