The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How do you continue? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96216-how-do-you-continue.html)

JetMetFan Fri Oct 04, 2013 07:04pm

How do you continue?

NCAA code (M or W): Team A’s head coach receives his/her second direct technical or his/her third direct/indirect technical and is ejected. Team A does not have any assistant coaches. The game...?

HawkeyeCubP Thu Oct 10, 2013 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 906791)
NCAA code (M or W): Team A’s head coach receives his/her second direct technical or his/her third direct/indirect technical and is ejected. Team A does not have any assistant coaches. The game...?

Wow. I actually don't know (NCAA-W), and can't find anything. Someone smarter than me, go.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 10, 2013 02:02pm

I think this was a case play / interp a few years ago, and a coach is NOT required.

jeschmit Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:07pm

If you read Rule 1-1-1, it says that a game consists of two teams with five players each. It doesn't say anything about a coach being present there...

Sharpshooternes Fri Oct 11, 2013 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 907230)
If you read Rule 1-1-1, it says that a game consists of two teams with five players each. It doesn't say anything about a coach being present there...

What is the ruling with HS?

bob jenkins Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 907253)

The NF doesn't care, but your state might.

PG_Ref Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39am

Quote:

The places where I have officiated HS games have required an adult on the bench at all times. You have to check locally.

j51969 Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:50am

I would love to meet the HS or College coach who doesn't have any assistants. Usually there is atleast a solid half dozen; even in the cow towns here in IL.:)

APG Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:51am

In a high school game, I would suspend the contest and let the state figure out what they want to do.

JRutledge Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 907261)
I would love to meet the HS or College coach who doesn't have any assistants. Usually there is atleast a solid half dozen; even in the cow towns here in IL.:)

You would be surprised. It is not totally unusual to see HS teams, especially the lower levels to have only one adult. I have ejected a coach and no one was left. At the college level, never seen that. But even some of the small colleges might have only one assistant coach.

Peace

jdmara Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:56am

Quote:

In Iowa, the contest is terminated at the point where there is not an authorized (I believe that's the appropriate term) coach on the bench.

Unfortunately, when I was in the early days of officiating I got frustrated with a coach during a baseball game and ejected him. He was the only coach so the game was done at that point. Young and naive, those were the days.

-Josh

RookieDude Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 907264)
I have ejected a coach and no one was left.

Peace

...did you continue the game?

JRutledge Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 907266)
...did you continue the game?

Actually I did because it was not clear at the time if we should. Now I would never do that again. Actually there was an "adult" that claimed to be associated with the school, but this has been clarfied since. Now if this happens the game is over. It must be someone that is a school employee on the bench before the game, and that was unclear at that time if the woman was with the school that took over.

Peace

Adam Fri Oct 11, 2013 01:16pm

In high school, I'm not aware of any state that doesn't require a coach on the bench. It's not in the NFHS rules, but check with the state association. The requirements for who can act as a coach may differ by state as well.

Stat-Man Fri Oct 11, 2013 03:31pm

Quote:

In Michigan, a team without an assistant coach or school representative has to forfeit the game.

Best bet is to check with your state to see what the proper procedure is.