The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Continuous Motion (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95916-continuous-motion-video.html)

JetMetFan Sat Aug 24, 2013 08:05am

Continuous Motion (video)

One clip, two plays.

Thoughts?

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IZ7RLO1_qkQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Sat Aug 24, 2013 08:22am

I am giving the basket for both. The second play I guess it is when you actually call the foul. And you could make a case that second play is a game interrupter.

Peace

BLydic Sat Aug 24, 2013 08:25am

Obviously incorrect on the first play. I'm really having a hard time seeing the contact on the second play.

Thoughts? My first was "showcase" and my second was "time and score".

just another ref Sat Aug 24, 2013 09:19am

First play he traveled before the release.

Second play I don't see a foul.

OKREF Sat Aug 24, 2013 09:37am

I'm counting both baskets.

STFD Sat Aug 24, 2013 09:55am

Thanks for posting the clips

I'm counting both baskets although, like others have said I don't have a foul on the second. On the first play, I don't think the official should wait so long before waving it off. If he's not going to count it, do so immediately. Don't wait for the ball to bounce around the rim and go in. Just my opinion.

APG Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10am

Count the basket in both plays

Mark Padgett Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10am

I'm in the club of those who didn't see a foul on the second play. When working games at this level, we have to remember that "continuation" can't be called like it is in the NBA (where it begins in the parking lot).

Freddy Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16am

Help me with this.
Play #1 seems more a matter of "act of shooting", i.e. whether or not the player began "the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball" than a matter of "continuous motion."
Is it not correct that continuous motion is reserved for when a foul occurs which prohibits the release of the ball but the continuous motion the player whose act of shooting had begun must be considered so that the proper two FT's be awarded though the ball never got "in flight" due to the foul that occurred while in the act of shooting?
One reason I'm tending to think in this way is that Rule 10 PENALTIES, though specifying conditions where "act of shooting" determine whether one or two FT's are awarded, "continuous motion" is never mentioned as a consideration in any case.
I'm trying to keep "continuous motion" and "act of shooting" as each defined by Rule 4 seperate, though obviously related.
Seems to me that "continuous motion" is becoming sorta an umbrella term describing any foul committed while a player is in the "act of shooting", and I'm struggling with whether that is a good thing.
Any help for my understanding?

APG Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 903282)
I'm in the club of those who didn't see a foul on the second play. When working games at this level, we have to remember that "continuation" can't be called like it is in the NBA (where it begins in the parking lot).

Seeing as the rules are pretty much the same at all levels of play, there's no reason why you shouldn't be calling it similar.

The fact of the matter is at the high school level, there are too many officials waving off too many plays that should be in the act, and justify it by saying "this isn't the NBA" or some variation of that statement.

Raymond Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 903271)
First play he traveled before the release.

Second play I don't see a foul.

Even if he traveled it's still would be a shooting foul. Wave off the basket and indicate 2 shots.

Either way you don't stand there watching the ball bounce around the rim before waving the shot off.

JRutledge Sat Aug 24, 2013 01:00pm

Travel really? SMDH!!!!

Peace

JugglingReferee Sat Aug 24, 2013 01:17pm

Both are shooting fouls.

JetMetFan Sat Aug 24, 2013 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 903284)
Help me with this.
Play #1 seems more a matter of "act of shooting", i.e. whether or not the player began "the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball" than a matter of "continuous motion."
Is it not correct that continuous motion is reserved for when a foul occurs which prohibits the release of the ball but the continuous motion the player whose act of shooting had begun must be considered so that the proper two FT's be awarded though the ball never got "in flight" due to the foul that occurred while in the act of shooting?
One reason I'm tending to think in this way is that Rule 10 PENALTIES, though specifying conditions where "act of shooting" determine whether one or two FT's are awarded, "continuous motion" is never mentioned as a consideration in any case.
I'm trying to keep "continuous motion" and "act of shooting" as each defined by Rule 4 seperate, though obviously related.
Seems to me that "continuous motion" is becoming sorta an umbrella term describing any foul committed while a player is in the "act of shooting", and I'm struggling with whether that is a good thing.
Any help for my understanding?

NFHS 4-11-1

Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.

JetMetFan Sat Aug 24, 2013 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 903308)
Travel really? SMDH!!!!

Peace

The only thing that shocks me about your response is it took so long :) I had the same reaction to the post as you.

JAR, I have the dribble ending when A1 put both hands on the ball which would make him legal. Where do you have the dribble ending?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 903266)
Thoughts? My first was "showcase" and my second was "time and score".

My first thought on play #2 was "Don't go fishing in another man's pond." C had a better look at that play and let it go, so given it wasn't a felony offense...let it go.