The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Do college conferences

charge dues?

I know my high school association does and I have no idea what that actually pays for, but it's a modest 2 game fee so if it's helping in some way I don't know, then I'm all for it.

No need to name any specific conference, but maybe examples of how much/if any conferences charge for dues, and if anyone has an idea what they pay for I would be appreciative.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

It's my understanding that the NCAA does not allow conferences to require officials to pay fees to be assigned. Although, you could easily say that conferences requiring officials to go to camp and pay a camp fee is considered paying an assigning fee and I believe this is pretty common.

For any official to work the NCAA tournament they have to join the NCAA section of Arbiter which I believe is $100, you could consider that an assigning fee.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Budget ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Dues? I know my high school association does and I have no idea what that actually pays for ...
Don't you have an annual audit, and a budget committee. We get a copy of our budget every year, and we know where every penny comes from, and where every penny goes. Every penny. Seriously.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Don't you have an annual audit, and a budget committee. We get a copy of our budget every year, and we know where every penny comes from, and where every penny goes. Every penny. Seriously.
Probably. Honestly, for the high school association I just never bothered to care that much, since it was a modest fee.

But I will make it a point to check up on this for this upcoming season.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
charge dues?

I know my high school association does and I have no idea what that actually pays for, but it's a modest 2 game fee so if it's helping in some way I don't know, then I'm all for it.

No need to name any specific conference, but maybe examples of how much/if any conferences charge for dues, and if anyone has an idea what they pay for I would be appreciative.
One that I have worked for charged a yearly fee. It was $40...so no big deal, but, they did charge.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 08:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Do you have to pay a belt fee?
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 08:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Every college conference I belong to requires some sort of registration or booking fee.
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
It's my understanding that the NCAA does not allow conferences to require officials to pay fees to be assigned.
The conferences I work for definitely charge a fee, though the higher levels of basketball that I work charge the lowest dues. Go figure.

Somebody mentioned the $100 fee you have to pay to arbiter for D1. I have to register there as well primarily because I'm required to take and pass the test, though I believe that it's a requirement to be registered through arbiter to work D2 ball as well, though I could be wrong on that point.

In my neck of the woods there are no league fees charged for high school, though there is a yearly fee to KSHSAA ($65?).
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 09:02am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
The conferences I work for definitely charge a fee, though the higher levels of basketball that I work charge the lowest dues. Go figure.

Somebody mentioned the $100 fee you have to pay to arbiter for D1. I have to register there as well primarily because I'm required to take and pass the test, though I believe that it's a requirement to be registered through arbiter to work D2 ball as well, though I could be wrong on that point.

In my neck of the woods there are no league fees charged for high school, though there is a yearly fee to KSHSAA ($65?).
The $100 gets you: rules and case books, access to plays throughout the year, memos, and I think it goes towards the background check that's required.

In the conferences I work there's a fee of basically camp and dues.
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 09:59am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not have to pay any fee to work any game when I am clearly on staff. The Arbiter fee is mostly optional as it is access to the informational site, not the assigning part of Arbiter.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

The local juco college assignor here charges $50 dues and his camp is $235 each year.
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 05:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm In Enough Trouble Already ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Do you have to pay a belt fee?
Shut up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 04:47pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
It's my understanding that the NCAA does not allow conferences to require officials to pay fees to be assigned.
The conferences do not charge fees to be assigned, but usually every conference or group of officials under a given coordinator has an association that they pay dues to. It goes for good things, like helping out officials in that group in need, sending flowers for funerals, etc. It's not much—usually $100 a year or so.

Quote:
Although, you could easily say that conferences requiring officials to go to camp and pay a camp fee is considered paying an assigning fee and I believe this is pretty common.
Pretty much. It's not a “requirement” per se, but who is going to buck the system? It's pretty much unspoken that if you are receiving assignments and are not asked to instruct at the camp, you should be attending.

Quote:
For any official to work the NCAA tournament they have to join the NCAA section of Arbiter which I believe is $100, you could consider that an assigning fee.
You could consider it that except that (1) it doesn't guarantee you an assignment and (2) it is not promoted as only being for those that expect or would like to be considered for an NCAA tournament assignment.

You have to had 25 D1 games before you are eligible for the tourney, so there are plenty of officials who are under that number—I'd estimate probably half of them! To my knowledge, most coordinators expect anyone on their staff to join—and they get a list of those who have and have not. Plus, that's how you take the test and all coordinators expect that as well.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 05:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The conferences do not charge fees to be assigned, but usually every conference or group of officials under a given coordinator has an association that they pay dues to. It goes for good things, like helping out officials in that group in need, sending flowers for funerals, etc. It's not much—usually $100 a year or so...
Every college conference I belong to requires me to send in a "registration" fee with my contract. In my conferences that have them, the "association" fee is totally separate and the coordinators play no part whatsoever in collecting that fee.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have sent in registation for 1 DI / 1 D2 / 1 D3 and a juco....four leagues and a total of $385.........

OUCH !!!!!