Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 05:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote, Unquote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Good start would be not to reply to your own posts.
But, I invented the self reply. Well, I guess that I'll give your suggestion a try. But it's not fair, I invented it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 06:21am.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 06:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I decided to move this stuff over to its own thread. I'm leaving it in the basketball forum, though, instead of moving it to the General or Feedback forums. It seems specific to this section.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 08:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Good start would be not to reply to your own posts and not to have 3 posts in a row.
Good way to "pad" your post count!
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I am still a relative newbie, both in officiating and on this forum.

I would like to stick up for BillyMac, who made me feel welcome when I came to this forum four years ago.

Maybe I have a higher tolerance for bad jokes, maybe because I understand that life can throw us a few curves and sometimes we need to be silly, but he is definitely not offensive or off-putting to me.

Let's be a little forgiving and generous I say.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
But when I log on and see a few tidbits of off the topic material from other Forum members, maybe funny, or an inside joke, or something else along those same lines, then I feel that I have the right to join in.
Actually, that not what happens.

The majority of the time, your off topic remark, joke, "funny" pic, etc. is the FIRST such post in a topic. Many times it completely derails the topic of discussion or ends the discussion. That's the real issue I have with such posts.

For years, I've complained about jokes and off topic crap that derails good discussion. I started the notorious "Moderators" thread in September 2008. A couple of people didn't speak to me much after that and basically I stopped visiting the site. Even now, I don't visit more than once or twice a week, perhaps a little more during the season. I'm sure that makes some people happy. But for me, the fact that the OT posts derail good discussions is why I don't visit like I used to.

Billy Mac, I'm sure you're a good guy and a great official but your off topic posts annoy the hell out of me. I probably miss out on some good stuff you post but I can sort through the other stuff to find it. No offense meant to you, that's just how I see it.

Just my 2 cents.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 11:30pm.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I started the notorious "Moderators" thread in September 2008. A couple of people didn't speak to me much after that and basically I stopped visiting the site. Even now, I don't visit more than once or twice a week, perhaps a little more during the season. I'm sure that makes some people happy. But for me, the fact that the OT posts derail good discussions is why I don't visit like I used to.
While we've certainly had our differences and I'm sure I have annoyed you a time or two, I've always respected your input and opinion here. The site could certainly use more participation form officials like you! Come back soon!!!
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 06:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tidbits ...

Quote:
The majority of the time, your off topic remark, joke, "funny" pic, etc. is the FIRST such post in a topic.
Point taken, but I was talking about the Forum in general, how off topic jokes, tidbits, comments, etc., seemed to be accepted. If the Forum wants to go 100% serious, and the moderators followup on that policy, then I will still post, I can be 100% serious, but life's too short ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 06:31am.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The majority of the time, your off topic remark, joke, "funny" pic, etc. is the FIRST such post in a topic. Many times it completely derails the topic of discussion or ends the discussion. That's the real issue I have with such posts.
Agreed, with all of the post. And, he's been given many hinths / chances over the years but still reverts to his prvious behavior.

That said, I'm sure all of us have personality / posting issues that annoy others.

I stand by my "posting rules" post made many years ago here (althogh I forget the specifics):

1) No more than 1 post per thread per person every x hours
2) Auto close a thread after x posts (if it hasn't been resolved by then it wont be)
etc.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For years, I've complained about jokes and off topic crap that derails good discussion. I started the notorious "Moderators" thread in September 2008. A couple of people didn't speak to me much after that and basically I stopped visiting the site. Even now, I don't visit more than once or twice a week, perhaps a little more during the season. I'm sure that makes some people happy. But for me, the fact that the OT posts derail good discussions is why I don't visit like I used to.

Billy Mac, I'm sure you're a good guy and a great official but your off topic posts annoy the hell out of me. I probably miss out on some good stuff you post but I can sort through the other stuff to find it. No offense meant to you, that's just how I see it.

Just my 2 cents.
This is the byproduct that bothers me the most. I have missed BktBallRef's opinions and insight. I still carry copies of his Myths writeup in my bag to hand out to people on occasion - it is outstanding. The selfishness of one person. who a few posts back wrote paragraph upon paragraph about himself to make excuses for his annoying behavior - falls on deaf ears for me. This post by BktBallRef is the fallout from the nonsense that is allowed here.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

In prior years, we'd preach to our newbies that there are excellent resources out there above and beyond the books provided to them. We caution them to choose carefully, but historically encouraged them to visit this site for solid answers.

We aren't doing that any more as the feedback from the class is less than complimentary. Some examples are....

Useless after 5-7 posts on a particular subject
If I wanted a warm-up act at the Funny Bone, I'd go to the Funny Bone
My teen-aged daughters act better than this
Moderators employ the old "do as I say, not as I do" method
If I wanted to go to a pissing match, I'd find a campfire......

...amongst others....

Sad to see this going the way of McGruff's and the FED forums.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 08:57am
Archaic Power Monger

I'll add a few thoughts here:

We always seem to be working to find the right balance. Some perceive us as too lax, others as too heavy handed. Sounds pretty similar to working a game, doesn't it?

There are a lot of OT posts that get removed as it is but clearly it is not enough.

We really are trying as a group of moderators to keep things running smoothly here. We are constantly discussing this forum and how to best keep it running.

Thank you for sharing your feelings. I certainly don't like reading that we have long time members leaving and reluctant to return.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 09:02am
Huck Finn

I have to agree with many of the comments I've seen. Topics used to be more about officiating. "In my little corner of..." wasn't funny to me the first time and it was pretty annoying the 3,000th time.

Having said all of that, I can appreciate it when someone takes all the punches that life has to offer and fights back. I pray that you continue on the path to emotional and physical health. I would suggest you leverage the internet and find other forums that fit some of your specific needs. That way this forum will be a part of your day along with other forums.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 09:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
...amongst others....

Sad to see this going the way of McGruff's and the FED forums.

Let us not be overly dramatic. This place is nothing like those places. This place actually has moderators. And we can dispute over a decision or two that the moderators make, but they are active. Those places you could not figure out half the time who was watching and the kinds of disputes were not anywhere near what is going on here now.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 09:05am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'll add a few thoughts here:

We always seem to be working to find the right balance. Some perceive us as too lax, others as too heavy handed. Sounds pretty similar to working a game, doesn't it?
I would say that I see it as selective. Some things don't seem to apply to everyone across the board. I have also seen - before your time as a Mod - when certain members are coincidentally (not really) allowed to have the last word and the thread is locked.

To me none of this is a big issue though.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

It all boils down to what are the priorities of this forum? This is the best place I've found to gain more knowledge about officiating basketball. While I might not agree with some of the more opinionated posters, they always make me think about situations and points of view I wouldn't naturally think about. It always helps me to be a better official. I don't post much because I often have nothing to add that would benefit anyone else and I loathe "+1" responses because I am pretty sure no one else cares if I agree with what someone else says or not. But when you have longtime and well respected members like Bob Jenkins, JRutledge, and BktBallRef, among several others complaining about someone who very rarely adds anything thought provoking to officiating discussions, then you, as moderators, have to decide what's more important for this forum. Keep this place the best place for those of us who really want to get better and learn and challenge ourselves.
Closed Thread