The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 06:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
NBA Keeps Flopping Rules But Expands Replay......

Thoughts? Slow the game down noticeably? A good thing? Too much second guessing?

NBA not making changes to toothless flopping fines; replay use expanded | ProBasketballTalk
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

NBA official press release

Figured I'd save us all a mouse click...

====================

NBA Board of Governors approves five rules changes

Official release
Posted Jul 19, 2013 12:52 AM

LAS VEGAS -- The NBA Board of Governors approved five rules changes for the upcoming 2013-14 season, the league announced Thursday.

Instant replay may now be used:

• When reviewing a block/charge play to determine whether the defender was inside or outside the restricted area, officials will now be permitted to reverse a charge call, or uphold a blocking call, when the defender was outside the restricted area but was not set when the offensive player began his upward shooting motion.

• To determine whether an off-ball foul occurred before or after a player has started his shooting motion on a successful shot attempt, or before or after the ball was released on a throw-in.

• During the review of any instant replay situation to permit the officials to assess the appropriate penalties of any unsportsmanlike and unnecessary acts (e.g. flagrant fouls) that are observed during the instant replay reviews.

Additional rules modifications:

• On clear path to the basket fouls, it will no longer be considered a clear path foul if at any point before the foul is committed, the defender who commits the foul is positioned ahead of the offensive player in the frontcourt.

• A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless he is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jul 20, 2013, 10:36pm
Working Mom Referee

well in view of the recent nba playoffs; it was clear that the flopping rule was judiciously and consistently applied--what for the number of penalty fines metted out it was clear that an emphasis was made on flopping; wonder if this will translate down to the nfhs level?
usually about once or twice per season I'll have a 'big' feign getting charged on by point guard who is spinning to start his attack fast break---the pg will spin dribble and barely glance the big and the big will tumble like a stack of cards--then look askance at me--''asking for the charge"...I treat this as a "play on" situation--when it's obvious to all players--even his own teammates that he has flopped.
Old Sat Jul 20, 2013, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

How would the NBA penalty (which is a fine system which ramps up to possible suspension(s)) translate to the NFHS level? If one really wanted to, you could assess a technical foul for faking being fouled, but that T is only used for Ray Charles type of situations...more often than not, it's either no-called or called a block (which is a discussion that's been had here before).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jul 20, 2013, 11:39pm
Working Mom Referee

"ray charles" ? ! ? not sure of what that means in terms of relevance here--unless that is "referee trade jargon" for flopping?
help me out here?
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
"ray charles" ? ! ? not sure of what that means in terms of relevance here--unless that is "referee trade jargon" for flopping?
help me out here?
So obvious that even a blind person could see it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No call usually works at the high school level, and the coaches virtually always understand.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
How would the NBA penalty (which is a fine system which ramps up to possible suspension(s)) translate to the NFHS level? If one really wanted to, you could assess a technical foul for faking being fouled, but that T is only used for Ray Charles type of situations...more often than not, it's either no-called or called a block (which is a discussion that's been had here before).
Plus the NBA issues many of the fines / suspensions aftger looking at the video, and from a central office. Both of which would be difficult to implement in a HS environment.

The "trickle down" might be that kids start to see less of it, or see that it's being penalized, and stop trying it as much at the HS level.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 11:33am
Working Mom Referee

Quote:
well in view of the recent nba playoffs; it was clear that the flopping rule was judiciously and consistently applied--what for the number of penalty fines metted out it was clear that an emphasis was made on flopping; wonder if this will translate down to the nfhs level?
usually about once or twice per season I'll have a 'big' feign getting charged on by point guard who is spinning to start his attack fast break---the pg will spin dribble and barely glance the big and the big will tumble like a stack of cards--then look askance at me--''asking for the charge"...I treat this as a "play on" situation--when it's obvious to all players--even his own teammates that he has flopped.
*moreso, even his own coach could be herd yelling from the bench "get your butt up and hustle down on defense"--so eryone knows the 'big' flopped--it's so humorous to see a 5ft 5in 100 lb pg "pummel over" a 6ft 3i 200 lb post player going 6 mph--and th big falling backwards and wildly contorting his body on the hardwood floor as if he was rear-ended by a semi truk..lol
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 01:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Forum, Wrong Sport ...

Quote:
See a 5ft 5in 100 lb pg "pummel over" a 6ft 3i 200 lb post player going 6 mph, and the big falling backwards and wildly contorting his body on the hardwood floor as if he was rear-ended by a semi truck.
Hey Travelling Man: This is a basketball forum. Please post situations like this (above) on the soccer forum where they belong.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 09:57pm
Working Mom Referee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey Travelling Man: This is a basketball forum. Please post situations like this (above) on the soccer forum where they belong.
*FYI @ Billymacs: follow the thread context--this was about reffing hoop--cited a specific situation that was relevant to the thread. But, all that being said, I'm thru commenting on this particular thread.thanks
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Flopping ...

Quote:
This was about reffing hoop.
I'm well aware of that. I was just commenting on the prevalence of flopping in soccer compared to basketball. Soccer players have made flopping more of an art than of a science.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
*FYI @ Billymacs: follow the thread context--this was about reffing hoop--cited a specific situation that was relevant to the thread. But, all that being said, I'm thru commenting on this particular thread.thanks
You're new here, so I'll break it to you gently. Billy is not to be taken seriously. Taking him seriously can be hazardous to your mental health.

Oh, and on a serious note; welcome to the forum. I hope it's as helpful to you as it is to me.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 05:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The "trickle down" might be that kids start to see less of it, or see that it's being penalized, and stop trying it as much at the HS level.
We continue to see the "senior circuits" influence the junior leagues (under shirts (Ewing), arm sleeves (AI), head bands (Wallace maybe), and now we're on to leg sleeves). Let's hope this is one "trickle down" for the better.......
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 05:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Can Make That Post In Three Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Billy is not to be taken seriously. Taking him seriously can be hazardous to your mental health.
Shut up. Seriously.