The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 07:08pm
Administrator

And you thought you had it tough?

While the title is supposed to be humorous, the subject of this article is not: Soccer Referee Killed And Quartered By Fans In Brazil After Fatally Stabbing Player: POLICE

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 07:15pm
This IS My Social Life

I'll Take Note of That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
]Soccer Referee Killed And Quartered By Fans In Brazil After Fatally Stabbing Player: POLICE
So what's the take-away here?
Let game management handle the players you've just ejected and the fans won't decapitate you and quarter your body?
Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

The take away here is don't officiate soccer in Brazil
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg View Post
the take away here is don't officiate soccer in brazil
+1
Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I step further.....

How about nowhere in South America.....
Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 10:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The take away here is don't officiate soccer in Brazil
Eh, I think the referee would have been ok if he didn't fatally stab a player.
Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Does he get the full game fee or will it be prorated for time officiated?
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 12:32am
AremRed

I have read several of the reports and they all seem to have conflicting information. I found a summary of a Portuguese news station's article translated and summarized by a Portuguese speaker/reader. Here is the comment:

"Some of that report was wrong. Anyways, here's a link to an R7 news report about the incident. For those who don't speak Portuguese, I'll try and summarize what the reporters were saying:

The city of Pio XII is a small rural town (about 25k population) over 100km from the state capital of São Luiz (I lived there for over a year). Maranhão is one of the poorest states in all of Brasil, BTW. The state of Maranhão doesn't have a team in either the A or B level leagues...I think the city of São Luiz has one or two teams in the D league, though.

Anways, this was not an official game at any level, it was a local game, by locally created teams from the city, officiated by a regular person, not actually trained or hired as a [referee]. The referee was a 19 year old kid. During the match he called a fault and expelled a player (Josenir dos Santos Abreu, 30 years old) for being violent. When the player went to leave the field, he went to the referee and kicked him.

Now here is where the written report and the video diverge. The written report states that the referee had the knife with him, where the video report states that he left the game (which was put on hold during the time) and went to his house which was close to the field. They say that he then returned with the knife and attacked the player, stabbing him twice. The player died on the way to the hospital.

The people watching the game then attacked the referee, pinning him to the ground, then beating the hell out of him. It was during this time that the two main suspects (who are still on the run) killed the referee and decapitated him. They then put his head on a fence post.

The local cops have stopped the search for the two suspects since they have exhausted the search in the local area. They are now waiting to hear from the police throughout the state.

(Translator's comments)
Please don't think that this is what football is like in Brasil, this is the first time I've ever heard of anything remotely like this. This game was a type of local pick-up match. The players are not professional...hell, not even in the minor-minor-minor sub leagues....these are just people creating teams on the their own and playing matches on a make-shift pitch next to a freeway.

This has nothing to do with, or reflects on, the World Cup. If it does, then by that logic, any violence that comes from a basketball pick-up game in Miami means that the Finals played by the Heat would have people getting shot on the court."
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Eh, I think the referee would have been ok if he didn't fatally stab a player.
Probably not the best game management technique
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 06:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I saw this article a few days ago and thought about posting it, but then, I couldn't decide where or why.

A 19 yr old lost his life over a game. Very, very sad what goes on in our world anymore at times......and, it doesn't matter where.
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Probably not the best game management technique
Beats the stop sign.
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I saw this article a few days ago and thought about posting it, but then, I couldn't decide where or why.
Exactly. Great 5000th post.

Quote:
A 19 yr old lost his life over a game. Very, very sad what goes on in our world anymore at times......and, it doesn't matter where.
Two people lost their lives. And certainly no reason for anyone to crack jokes, on a basketball officiating discussion board or anywhere else.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Exactly. Great 5000th post.

Two people lost their lives. And certainly no reason for anyone to crack jokes, on a basketball officiating discussion board or anywhere else.
Woah, I thought this was an onion-style piece. I didn't realize it was an actual story.
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 02:00pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
...this was not an official game at any level, it was a local game, by locally created teams from the city, officiated by a regular person, not actually trained or hired as a [referee].
There it is. While this is certainly an extreme outcome, there's something to be said for proper training.
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There it is. While this is certainly an extreme outcome, there's something to be said for proper training.
Even more than that, there's something to be said for game management that can actually control a situation and call police when necessary. There should never have been a fight between the ref and the player after the game. It seems to me, even a properly trained official can find himself in a situation like this (Utah comes to mind) if there isn't game management willing and able to protect the officials.