The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:11am
Ok is the new good

3 person for dummies

Like my xmas lights I use 3 person about 1 week per year and today is one of those weeks.

Looking for a brief breakdown of 3 person rotations HS mechanics:

1) On a shooting foul

2) Non shooting foul

What is the rotation of the L, T C?

Where does the calling official go reporting?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

not sure of nfhs because I work iaabo and ncaa men's. in either situation calling official goes opposite table. the official being replaced takes his spot. also, not to be picky, these are switches, a rotation is live ball movement. good luck and have fun.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

In SoCal reporting official went tableside. In NY reporting official stayed opposite table.

No switch if foul called in the backcourt in transition. But in NY versus SoCal one difference was in the backcourt in SoCal is it was acceptable to bounce the ball across the paint on endline throw ins while in NY T and L are always both on the inbounding side.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 09:16am
Do not give a damn!!

There really is no short cut to 3 person. You have to review the mechanics and know the terminology. If you do not know the terminology IMO and the basics, no one is going to be able to correct you very easily. You have to be a student of the game like knowing what the difference between a rotation and a switch. We can tell you where to go after a foul call, but if you do not know when to make a call in your primary or outside of your primary or what to do in a double whistle, it is going to be useless to tell you anything. And even with the NF or local standards, there are a lot of exceptions and situations that you just need to see or experience to know what is acceptable. The best example is as the lead calling a play coming to the lane when to know when to have a whistle and when not to have a whistle. And depending on where you live, there might be some different philosophies when that should take place.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 12:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Like my xmas lights.
Move to Connecticut. You'll only have to use three person mechanics if you make it to the quarterfinals of the state tournament. No need for Christmas lights in March, but be sure to enjoy some green beer on Saint Patrick's Day with your two partners.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 01:20pm.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
not to be picky, these are switches, a rotation is live ball movement.
It's not picky at all. If he - or anyone else - is going to learn, correct terminology comes with the territory.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS:

Calling official reports and stays tableside, T for FTs, C or T depending where the ball is put in play for non-shooting.

The official who was tableside T or C switches with the calling official.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

I was at a camp this weekend and got my first exposure to 3-person. The thought I liked best on the switching was the calling official on a foul is "blown away" to opposite table.

The other thing I took from it is to always keep a triangle, if there's an open spot on the floor that shouldn't be there, find it and cover it.

It worked well, we were all 2nd or 3rd year officials and caught on to it quickly.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
I was at a camp this weekend and got my first exposure to 3-person. The thought I liked best on the switching was the calling official on a foul is "blown away" to opposite table.

The other thing I took from it is to always keep a triangle, if there's an open spot on the floor that shouldn't be there, find it and cover it.

It worked well, we were all 2nd or 3rd year officials and caught on to it quickly.
Wait, let me guess...now none of you wants to do 2-person ever again?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jul 06, 2013, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to swerv17
As some have stated in previous posts, the switches depend on your state or association. IAABO states are the same as Men's NCAA and go opposite the table. NFHS states are the same as Women's NCAA and go table side. There may be some exceptions. Learn the "home" starting positions for each. T should be at the 28' mark, C is at the foul Line Extended, and the L is either wide or at close down/pinch the paint depending on where the ball is. If you get to see yourself on video, always make sure the 3 of you are in these home positions. You may have to adjust 1 or 2 steps depending on where the action is and to maintain an open look. L should always mirror the ball, but should not be watching the ball. Learn to see the ball out of the top of your eyes as the L and still officiate your PCA. T must stay connected in the front court. The T and L should work as a team with post play. T referees the feet and L referees the defense. C must be ready for curl plays. Think "go away, stay away." If you are the L and the play goes away from you, let the C have that play. As L, look for a reason to rotate. I use the 3 immediates as when NOT to rotate in the L:

1. Immediate drive
2. Immediate shot
3. Immediate pass

If any of these happen, do not rotate, as you can put the crew in a bad position, and won't be able to officiate the play properly.

If the ball crosses the basket line, move to pinch the paint. If the ball settles, than rotate, but make sure to referee where you came from. As L, you are still responsible for anything in that area. As C, do not be in a hurry to rotate to the T. If L rotates over, and as C you have an open look, stay with that look until the play dissolves. 2 C's are ok, but you never want to T's.

In transition, the C should be even with or slightly ahead of the pack of players and is responsible for side line to side line and tip of circle to tip of circle. If there is pressure in the back court, position yourself at the 28' and assist with coverage. Don't bail out too early. Remain and read. The T should be 2-3 steps behind the player/players and should maintain an open look. If the ball handler is not being pressured, look ahead and be able to see as many of the other players as possible. L should get to the end line to receive the play. If there is pressure in the back court, L should be no deeper than foul line extended in the front court. As the play comes into the front court, move to the end line to receive the play. Again, mirror the ball. If the ball is coming up the middle of the court, go right to close down position. I know there is a lot here to absorb, but I hope this helps. Get a hold of a mechanics manual and watch as many 3 person games as you can. The more you work it, the more comfortable you will become with it.

Keep learning and geting better. Give back what you have learned and experienced to someone else. We'll all be better officials for it.

"Rules competency breeds calmness and confidence in chaos."-Vince Iandoli

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Last edited by swerv17; Thu Jul 25, 2013 at 10:27am. Reason: Typo
Old Wed Jul 10, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Great post Swerv17, as a second year official, this will help me in my up coming camps. Thanks for taking the time.