The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 04:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS June 6, 2013 Release ...

2013-14 BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES

1-19 New The use of electronic devices is permitted during the game.

3-4-2a A single visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is permitted on the team jersey, not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches with no dimension more than 2 1/4 inches. The manufacturer's logo may be located no more than 5 inches below the shoulder seam on the front of the jersey, or 2 inches from the neckline on the back of the jersey; or in either side insert.

3-5-3 Arm and leg compression sleeves shall: .

10-1-3 A team shall not:
a. Use a megaphone or any electronic communication device at courtside, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players on the court.
b. Use electronic audio and /or video devices to review a decision of the contest officials.

10-4-5 Note The head coach may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out or has broken out to prevent the situation from escalating.

Signal Chart Added a mechanic of a defensive tip (brushing one hand over the other above the head) to indicate the official has ruled the ball entered the backcourt as a result of contact with a defensive player.

COMMENTS ON THE 2013-14 RULES CHANGE

USE OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES (1-19 NEW and 10-1-3): The previous rule was difficult to monitor and enforce by the contest officials. This rule allows the coach to take advantage of electronic tools available for use in coaching and gathering statistics. While in use, the coach must be in compliance with the guidelines that specify that electronic devices may not be used to communicate with the players on the playing floor nor can the devise be used to dispute an official's call.

ADDITIONAL OF A SINGLE MANUFACTURER'S LOGO TO THE JERSEY (3-4-2a): This change would bring basketball in compliance with other NFHS sports that allow the use of a single manufacturer's logo on the jersey of the playing uniform.

LEG COMPRESSION SLEEVE REQUIREMENTS (3-5-3): The specifications for leg compression sleeves were added because of the frequent use of these sleeves for non-medical reasons. The specifications match those of arm compression sleeve. They must be white, beige, or a single solid school color. The sleeve must be the same color for each team member and have only a single manufacturer's logo that does not exceed 2 1/4 square inches. The sleeve must be worn for medical reasons only.

HEAD COACH ENTERING THE PLAYING COURT (10-4-5 NOTE): While the head coach and his/her assistants have an obligation to ensure bench personnel comply with Rule 10-4-5, if a situation develops where a fight either has or may break out, the head coach by his/her presence can be instrumental in preventing the situation from escalating and assisting the game officials in controlling the situation. This change will remove the requirement of the head coach being beckoned onto the floor by the officials in this situation which will result in a more expedient resolution of the situation and restoration of order. The change will also allow the officials a greater opportunity to assess appropriate penalties by being able to observe the situation because of the increased assistance the head coach(es) will provide by their presence.

TIP SIGNAL: This signal increases the official's ability to communicate with the players, coaches and fans on critical plays. Immediately communicating whether or not the defense tipped the ball allows the offensive team to immediately know whether or not they can recover the ball without penalty. Having no signal actually gives the defense an unfair advantage as they do not need to know which team caused the ball to enter the backcourt, they can recover the ball without penalty regardless.

2013-14 BASKETBALL EDITORIAL CHANGES

1-13-2 The coaching box shall be outlined outside the side of the court on which the scorer's and timer's table and team benches are located. The area shall be bounded by a line drawn 14 feet from the end line towards the mid-court. At this point a line drawn from the sideline toward the team bench becomes the end of the coaching box going towards the end line. From this line go another 14 feet towards the mid-court, then a line drawn towards the bench becomes the end of the coaching box closest to mid-court. The coaching box is 14 feet long placed in the middle of the regulation 42 feet long half court. These lines shall be located off the court and be 2 inches wide.

3-5-1 Note Each state association may, in keeping with applicable laws, authorize exceptions to NFHS playing rules to provide reasonable accommodations to individual participants with disabilities and/or special needs, as well as those individuals with unique and extenuating circumstances. The accommodations should not fundamentally alter the sport heighten risk to the athlete/others or place opponents at a disadvantage.

2013 Points of Emphasis

Granting Time-Out – Coaches and officials are reminded of the proper procedures in requesting and granting time-out. Coaches are encouraged to give both a visual signal and verbal request when a requesting time-out. Officials need to know the status of the ball and whether it is in player control. Having a full view of the player in control who is requesting the time-out is critical to determining if you may grant a time-out. It’s vital to know the situation of the game, the proper sequence of calling a time-out, then using proper signals to notify the scorer.

Guidelines to Enforce Illegal Contact - When contact occurs that affects the rhythm, speed, quickness and balance of the player, illegal contact has occurred. When illegal contact occurs, fouls must be called. Officials must not refrain from calling these type of actions that create an advantage for the opponent. Illegal contact must be called regardless of time and score.

Intentional Foul - An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act. It is contact that:
- Neutralizes an opponent’s obvious advantageous position.
- Contact on an opponent who is clearly not in the play.
- May be excessive contact.
- Contact that is not necessarily premeditated or based solely on the severity of the act.
This type of foul may be strategic to stop the clock or create a situation that may be tactically done for the team taking action. This foul may be innocent in severity, but without any playing of the ball, it becomes an intentional act such as a player wrapping their arms around an opponent. The act may be excessive in its intensity and force of the action. These actions are all intentional fouls and are to be called as such.

2013-15 Basketball Manual Points of Emphasis

Dead Ball Officiating – See the whole play. See the actions of all players. Don’t react too quickly that you do not see the second action or antics of a player that is inciting an opponent to react. Be aware of the whole situation so to penalize the correct player.

Proper Mechanics and Signals - The use of proper mechanics and signals are imperative to the success of the contest and the officiating team. Proper mechanics and signals will assist in communication to your partners and will aid in the effectiveness of all officials’ calls. Officials need to continue to study, emphasize and practice proper mechanics and signals with your partners and reviewing these items in a thorough pre-game conference. This will assist the crew of officials in their game preparation and performing their duties as a cohesive unit. Officials are reminded to use non-verbal cues to communicate with your partners and assist them in their efforts. Use only proper NFHS approved mechanics and signals, enforce the rules of the level being played and call the game accordingly.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 04:59am.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 06:14am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks Billy. Gets me back into the mind set and wanting to get back on the court.......

Leg sleeves.....how much longer until they get to the socks????
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
How much longer until they get to the socks????
Bite your tongue.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks Billy. Gets me back into the mind set and wanting to get back on the court.......

They already did that like in 97 or 98, trying to regulate logos and size of the logos. They got rid of that the very next year. I do not see that happening again.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ignore The Eight Hundred Pound T-Word In The Room ...

Quote:
How much longer until they get to the socks????
Very long socks, any color, or two different colors, that go up past the bottom of the shorts? Very long white, beige, or a single solid school color, leg compression sleeves, same color for each team member, that start under the socks and go up past the bottom of the shorts?

Last edited by Adam; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 01:18pm. Reason: Seriously
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You mean like this in the NCAA Rule Book?

NCAA 3-8-1
A single manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal logo, label or trademark meeting the size restrictions of 3-8.2 is permitted once on the game jersey, once on the game pants and once on all other items of apparel excluding the undershirt.

Yes, that includes socks and yes I've heard of it being enforced (i.e., players being told to roll their socks down so both manufacturers' logos aren't showing). And yes, it's not a well-liked rule.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sock It To Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
... players being told to roll their socks down so both manufacturers' logos aren't showing.
Wouldn't they have to only roll one sock down?

Last edited by Adam; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 01:15pm. Reason: slow down, Billy
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Head In The Sand ...

Why not just allow tights, but put them under color, and logo, restrictions like other commonly worn player equipment?

Last edited by Adam; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 01:14pm. Reason: slow down, Billy
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Talkin to yourself ??????

BM - You can't start a thread and then have 80% of the posts.......
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How Else Will I Get Enough Posts To Become An Esteemed Forum Member ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
BM - You can't start a thread and then have 80% of the posts.
Blame grunewar. He got me started.

Quote:
Leg sleeves, how much longer until they get to the socks?
Sorry guys. I've had my catharsis. I'm alright now. I'm sorry that I had to put all of you through that.

OK folks. Show's over. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 01:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's A Free Country ...

As I used to try to tell my parents, all the time. For some reason, it never worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
BM - You can't start a thread and then have 80% of the posts.
Who says?

Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2013-14 BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES

TIP SIGNAL: This signal increases the official's ability to communicate with the players, coaches and fans on critical plays. Immediately communicating whether or not the defense tipped the ball allows the offensive team to immediately know whether or not they can recover the ball without penalty. Having no signal actually gives the defense an unfair advantage as they do not need to know which team caused the ball to enter the backcourt, they can recover the ball without penalty regardless.
That is fundamentally stupid. The offense doesn't deserve the extra help because they are the ones that lost control of the ball...probably through a bad pass. We're supposed to judge the legality of the players' actions, not help them in their actions.

Are we to give the tip when the ball is heading OOB so one team or the other can know they don't have to save the ball?

Are we also going to yell out when the ball handler is getting close to a boundary line so they don't step OOB???

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 01:39pm.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is fundamentally stupid. The offense doesn't deserved the extra help because they are the ones that lost control of the ball...probably through a bad pass.

Are we to give the tip when the ball is heading OOB so one team or the other know they don't have to save the ball?

Are we also going to yell out when the ball handler is getting close to a boundary line so they don't OOB???
I think the signal is really for your partner, not anyone else. Any signal that gives information IMO is not really a bad thing. It is like the kicked signal we used for years and then the NF finally recognized we had to tell people why we called a violation.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Time That I Glad That I Use IAABO Mechanics ...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the signal is really for your partner, not anyone else.
Not according to the NFHS: "This signal increases the official's ability to communicate with the players, coaches and fans on critical plays".

Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 06:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not according to the NFHS: "This signal increases the official's ability to communicate with the players, coaches and fans on critical plays".
I know what they said, but that is not the real benefit of the signal and not the reason officials used the signal in the first place. Officials were using this signal long before the NF approved it.

Peace