The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

joe forte camp

anyone have any good advice about Joe Forte camp?

Looking to make the roster and would like some tips.

I have strong mechanics, great official look, know the rules, run hard, see the angles, move to improve, and communication with fellow officials! I am 27 and call high level varsity basketball in NC. just looking for tips on his camp. Thanks
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:14pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Plan on going next year as well. Rarely does anyone get picked up on the first go-around...

Good luck
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy42785 View Post

I have strong mechanics, great official look, know the rules, run hard, see the angles, move to improve, and communication with fellow officials! I am 27 and call high level varsity basketball in NC. just looking for tips on his camp. Thanks
Can I go to you're camp?
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I maybe haven't been around here long enough to get away with saying this, but I will say it anyway. Maybe your mechanics aren't quite as strong as you think they are. Maybe you don't know the rules quite as much as you can. Maybe you could see the angles a little bit better than you do. Maybe your communication with your partners isn't as good as it could be. If you go to a camp as a 27 year old HS varsity official who acts like you can't be taught anything, it might not go over well. I know this isn't a teaching camp, but you need to be able to receive feedback and not think you are the perfect official. Having never met you, maybe you are the perfect official and don't need to be taught anything.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Heck far...sounds like Joe should be coming to see you, not the other way around.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Oh great, guys. Just go ahead and shoot him down.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes this forum becomes a wise a$$ reply forum.
Kid was just saying that he's not green, You smart a$$es if you dont have any constructive things to say, keep your pie holes shut.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 07:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Sometimes this forum becomes a wise a$$ reply forum.
Kid was just saying that he's not green, You smart a$$es if you dont have any constructive things to say, keep your pie holes shut.
Then just ask "what does Joe Forte expect and like?" without all the self-promotion.

And you didn't have anything constructive to say so why are you posting? He doesn't need you coming to his rescue.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Don't listen to them...

The fact that your on this forum asking questions and looking to attend camp shows your hungry to learn more, develop your strengths and become a better official. Having confidence isn't going to hurt you out there, in fact, its crucial for success.

I'm sorry that you reached out to this "experienced, mature, veteran" group of officials and all most of them could do is shoot you down.

Good luck to you.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 08:14am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by evictor24 View Post
The fact that your on this forum asking questions and looking to attend camp shows your hungry to learn more, develop your strengths and become a better official. Having confidence isn't going to hurt you out there, in fact, its crucial for success.

I'm sorry that you reached out to this "experienced, mature, veteran" group of officials and all most of them could do is shoot you down.

Good luck to you.
"There's a fine line between confidence and cockiness."
The young lad seemed merely confident, to me, not cocky. Heck, I could say the same thing about myself, but usually just let others say it for me.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I was once you.....

I remember when I was your age and attending Fred Barakat's camps ( IMO the best in the country). I thought I had all of those things. But what Ididn't have was the following ( and I will relate this to your area). I hadn't worked the Carolinas Conference final / hadn't been to the DII Regional /.

What is going to happen when you call what you think is a foul in front of Eades or Ayres ????

There are about one million examples of things you haven't done or don't know about yet (and you will) that also make up the equation as to whether you ready to work or not in the BS.

For whatever it is worth and this is debatable, if you look like a Joe Forte guy/
NBA ref, how will it play when you try to get in other leagues that don't have such an "NBA Philosophy".....

BNR - your thoughts would be appreciated. I know down there you see the difference between MEAC / BS mentality .......
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 02:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
...BNR - your thoughts would be appreciated. I know down there you see the difference between MEAC / BS mentality .......
Most definitely is a difference. The 2 supervisors are almost diametrically opposed as to what they look for in hiring a new official on staff. Of course some officials are so good they can transcend the different tastes.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I remember when I was your age and attending Fred Barakat's camps ( IMO the best in the country). I thought I had all of those things. But what Ididn't have was the following ( and I will relate this to your area). I hadn't worked the Carolinas Conference final / hadn't been to the DII Regional /.

What is going to happen when you call what you think is a foul in front of Eades or Ayres ????

There are about one million examples of things you haven't done or don't know about yet (and you will) that also make up the equation as to whether you ready to work or not in the BS.

For whatever it is worth and this is debatable, if you look like a Joe Forte guy/
NBA ref, how will it play when you try to get in other leagues that don't have such an "NBA Philosophy".....

BNR - your thoughts would be appreciated. I know down there you see the difference between MEAC / BS mentality .......
I'm assuming BS means Big South? Do they actually use that acronym?
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
Oh great, guys. Just go ahead and shoot him down.
I wasn't trying to shoot him down. I was just telling him the same things that I have to tell myself from time to time. I find it helps to try to remember that I am not nearly as good as I think I am, nor am I as bad as I think I am when I screw up.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 03:28pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
"just let others say it"
This.