The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Great comeback....can't compete with that.....
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Billy,

Is the black belt alive and kicking during summer leagues or did you give the belt a rest in the off season....
Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 07:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sock It To Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Is the black belt alive and kicking during summer leagues or did you give the belt a rest in the off season....
As I stated earlier in the thread, my biggest summer concern is whether to wear white socks, black socks, or socks that don't show. There are no international, national, state, or local guidelines regarding this issue.

I do actually have a "belt" update, but I'll save it for an appropriate thread, i.e., "When in Rome ...".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 14, 2015 at 11:26am.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 08:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I do actually have a "belt" update, but I'll save it for an appropriate thread, i.e., "When in Rome ...".
You're such a tease.....
Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 03:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Turnabout Is Fair Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
You're such a tease.....
I'm just doing what all the girls did to me back in high school.

(Plus, nobody on the Forum wants to hear about black belts as utilized here in my little corner of Connecticut. Instead, lets talk about how officials sound their whistles before they enter the vicinity of the court, to prevent charging technicals for pregame dunking, in Texas; or how officials wait around to observe the post game handshakes, without the benefit of being able to charge technical fouls, in Massachusetts. Those are, most certainly, much more interesting "When in Rome ..." topics for discussion.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting picture choice.....I happen to know the guy that owns CFM San Diego......

I gave up on the pocket protectors, but am occasionally known to still use a slide rule from time to time....
Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost Extinct ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
... but am occasionally known to still use a slide rule from time to time....
Along with Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., we're probably the only three Forum members that still know how to use one, or, for that matter, actually know what a slide rule is.

Now I have to go out and yell at the neighborhood kids, again, to get off my front lawn.

Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 06:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I don't work a lot of summer games, but when I do, we are allowed to wear black shorts. Which always brings me to my biggest summer fashion concern: with black shorts, does one wear black socks, white socks, crew socks, or ankle socks? I don't want to be embarrassed by a fashion faux pas.
Try these.

Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 12:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Along with Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., we're probably the only three Forum members that still know how to use one, or, for that matter, actually know what a slide rule is.
Make that four. BTW - I had a HS science teacher who had a slide rule tie clip. Not kidding.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Make that four. BTW - I had a HS science teacher who had a slide rule tie clip. Not kidding.
I still have one of those tie clips Mark, and it's actually fully functional. My dad picked up several at an ASHRAE convention at one time and gave me one - think I was in the 8th grade at the time.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mad Men Chemistry Version ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I still have one of those tie clips Mark, and it's actually fully functional.
My high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Dalton, had one of those slide rule tie clips. With his black, horn-rimmed glasses, short sleeved white shirt, and narrow ties, I'm quite sure that he was quite the ladies man in the smoke-filled faculty lounge.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 14, 2015 at 02:01pm.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 02:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
As I stated earlier in the thread, my biggest summer concern is whether to wear white socks, black socks, or socks that don't show. There are no international, national, state, or local guidelines regarding this issue.

Billy:

I have always (with apologies to J. Dallas Shirley) worn white socks with black shorts and shoes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 02:42pm
Administrator

Quote:
My high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Dalton, had one of those slide rule tie clips. With his black, horn-rimmed glasses, short sleeved white shirt, and narrow ties, I'm quite sure that he was quite the ladies man in the smoke-filled faculty lounge.

Billy:

I want one of those tie clips, then this retired structural engineer could go to that great drafting board filled room in the sky.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 03:04pm
Administrator

Quote:

Now I have to go out and yell at the neighborhood kids, again, to get off my front lawn.

to be serious for a moment. Mathematics is a language just as valid as English, Italian, Latin, or FORTRAN. Therefore, There is absolutely no reason for calculators to be used in any mathematics course in H.S.

And to show you how much a calculator is nothing more than a crutch that does nothing to advance the learning of the language of mathematics: Mark, Jr., and Andy (our younger and smarter son because he does not officiate basketball nor umpire baseball and fast pitch softball) graduated from H.S. in 2008 and 2011.

While they were in H.S. the State of Ohio required graduates to pass exams in four different subject areas. Obviously, Mark and Andy passed all four exams the first time they took them with very high scores (high enough to receive special cords to wear when they graduated), they are a chip off the "old mans' block".

The mathematics exam was designed so that one could not pass the exam without the use of a calculator. Neither Mark nor Andy used a calculator: Andy passed with a score over 95%.

And wait for it: Mark was one of only two students in Ohio that year to get a perfect score in the mathematics exam. When Start H.S. was notified by the Ohio Dept. of Education of his perfect score, the school administration told the State that Mark and had not used a calculator during the exam. The Dept. of Educ. did not believe that anyone could pass the exam let alone get a perfect score without using a calculator. The Principal pulled Mark out of class to speak with the State to confirm that he did not use a calculator.

I went through H.S. with a calculator (I graduated H.S. in 1969 and the first HP calculator did not come on the market until 1973) and when I entered engineering school I was worthy enough to own a slide rule (a Post Versalog). I did not own my first calculator (a Texas Instrument) until 1975. We put a man on the Moon using slide rulers and computers did not have no where the computing power of today's smart phones.

Therefore, to paraphrase Mel Brooks: Calculators!! We don't need no stinking calculators!!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 05:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

The mathematics exam was designed so that one could not pass the exam without the use of a calculator. Neither Mark nor Andy used a calculator: Andy passed with a score over 95%.

This is certainly admirable, but what were they trying to prove? I'm told you can start a fire with two sticks, but it's easier with a match.

Lonesome Dove