The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 10:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

WCF Game 2 FF1

Can you post the FF that happened with about 30 seconds to go in the 4th Quarter. I am hearing that Tony Allen acted a little.

Peace
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 11:08pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Can you post the FF that happened with about 30 seconds to go in the 4th Quarter. I am hearing that Tony Allen acted a little.
Yes he held his head even though he didn't hit it, but it was a FF1 anyway.
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 11:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the record I did not see the play. Just heard about it from a couple of places.

Also a little birdie told me it was correct. I just want to see it for myself.

Peace
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 11:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just saw the play. It would have been an IF in HS and a FF at the other levels. The acting was a bit much, but the call was made before that I am sure.

Peace
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 09:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Definite IF/FF1 in HS and NCAA. I don't know the NBA standards:

Old Wed May 22, 2013, 09:56am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I just saw the play. It would have been an IF in HS and a FF at the other levels. The acting was a bit much, but the call was made before that I am sure.
Agreed....Allen rolling around holding his head reminds me of a soccer player grabbing his leg as he flops to the turf for no apparent reason. Just get up and take your free throws....sheesh.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

A quick question based on NFHS rules. I can see the Intentional Foul call here, but I don't see it as extremely obvious -- my initial thought was this is borderline. So my question ... does the fall factor into the equation when making this decision?

And if not, what is the primary reason you would call this an IF in a HS game? The advantageous position of the shooter? Contact not playing the ball? Excessive contact? Just curious.

I see a bit of a hold on the arm after the initial contact, which is why I would probably call it intentional. But in real time, it looked like there was some attempt made to play the ball, and I thought that Ginobali got back into the play enough so that it was not neutralizing an obvious advantageous position by the offense, which is one of the possible reasons for an intentional foul.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:07am
Do not give a damn!!

I would call an IF for excessive contact. His behavior afterwards would not go into the equation. He was clearly pulled down from behind and fell hard to the floor. This would be a rather easy call for me. I cannot see myself thinking twice in this situation.

Peace
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

BTW, Steve Javie said it was the correct call. For those that do not know Javie works for ESPN now and is a former NBA Official.

Peace
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
A quick question based on NFHS rules. I can see the Intentional Foul call here, but I don't see it as extremely obvious -- my initial thought was this is borderline. So my question ... does the fall factor into the equation when making this decision?

And if not, what is the primary reason you would call this an IF in a HS game? The advantageous position of the shooter? Contact not playing the ball? Excessive contact? Just curious.

I see a bit of a hold on the arm after the initial contact, which is why I would probably call it intentional. But in real time, it looked like there was some attempt made to play the ball, and I thought that Ginobali got back into the play enough so that it was not neutralizing an obvious advantageous position by the offense, which is one of the possible reasons for an intentional foul.
That is the only reason this goes IF/FF1. He made a play on the ball and was in a position to make a play on the ball. He didn't just grab a guy in an advantageous position. But, he missed the ball and got the arm...which is still an common foul. Unfortunately, he continued to hold on knowing he didn't have the ball and pulled the player down. That is where it went IF/FF1.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed May 22, 2013 at 01:09pm.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is the only reason this goes IF/FF1. He made a play on the ball and was in a position to make a play on the ball. He didn't just grab a guy in an advantageous position. But, he missed the ball and got the arm...which is still an common foul. Unfortunately, he continue to hold on knowing he didn't have the ball and pulled the player down. That is where it went IF/FF1.
+1

Does the NBA's new flopping rule/fine come into play here for Allen's antics after the play? It does not appear he hit his head on anything, but I also don't think there is a question that he fell pretty hard. Despite not hitting his head, I can see the play causing him to be a little woozy, but cannot see any reason for him to be writhing on the ground. In OT, I think he was the Memphis player that was not even running up the court anymore and came up about ten feet short on a wide open three. So maybe it's possible he sustained some sort of head injury on the play (maybe something happened in OT that I missed though).
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
+1

Does the NBA's new flopping rule/fine come into play here for Allen's antics after the play?
No. He was clearly and obviously fouled. He didn't flop or exaggerate the foul.

I don't know where or if he did hit his head but after that amount of contact, I don't really care (as far as the flopping rules/fines go).

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed May 22, 2013 at 06:54pm.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 01:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
Does the NBA's new flopping rule/fine come into play here for Allen's antics after the play?
Flopping is exaggerating contact in order to draw a foul where there is none. Did that happen on this play?

Quote:
In OT, I think he was the Memphis player that was not even running up the court anymore and came up about ten feet short on a wide open three. So maybe it's possible he sustained some sort of head injury on the play (maybe something happened in OT that I missed though).
Certainly possible, but it looked to me like he got tired and lost his legs.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
And if not, what is the primary reason you would call this an IF in a HS game? The advantageous position of the shooter? Contact not playing the ball? Excessive contact? Just curious..
Excessive contact. It's not the initial contact that's bad -- it's the grab and pull down.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No. He was clearly and obviously fouled. He didn't flop or exaggerated the foul.

I don't know where or if he did hit his head but after that amount of contact, I don't really care (as far as the flopping rules/fines go).
I agree that I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt on this play, even though it seemed a bit theatrical.