The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

T or no T

Again courtesty of the Desert Valley Basketball Officials Association (so Brad, that means about 15-20 seconds of dead time )

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

Looks like he had a word with her to knock it off. I'm fine with that approach. If it's the cherry on top of a lot of bad behavior that might be enough to whack but I'd have to be there to know for sure.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:11pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Definitely earned at least a yellow card!
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

New Lead did right in making her get the ball. Now, on the kick, if she is someone who has been an headache previously I would T as soon as she put foot to ball.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

That girl has an ATTITUDE. Set the ball down...retrieve it by rolling it with her foot making the official pick it up....slowly walk in front of him and the FT shooter just to finish her point of disgust wit the call.

Wow.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:30pm
Official & Member

Definitely a brief discussion as she saunters by...good move to have her retrieve it initially. As a singular act, I don't see it rising to a T-worthy level.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

867-5309 ...

I would definitely be keeping an eye of #32 for the rest of the game. Anything marginal, will be called. Anything. She's one of those knuckleheads that we keep talking about here on the Forum. Being a sexist pig, I usually think of knuckleheads as being male, but, in reality, they do present themselves as different genders.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 06, 2013 at 04:11pm.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Whack.

I will be shocked if anyone who responds to this thread takes the position that this behavior by a player is acceptable.

The only reason that it continues to occur is that officials fail to penalize it.
We are our own worst enemy sometimes.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada, when are you calling the T? When she puts the ball down or when she pushes it to you with her foot?
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would definitely be keeping an eye of #32 for the rest of the game. Anything marginal, will be called. Anything.
That's not the appropriate or professional manner to handle this.
Never allow your judgment on decisions to be influenced by anything. That compromises the integrity of the game.
Recommending that anything marginal from this player in the future will be a foul is an unfair way to officiate. Just take care of business and penalize the unsporting act when it occurs and then continue officiating the remainder of the contest in your normal manner.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Nevada, when are you calling the T? When she puts the ball down or when she pushes it to you with her foot?
Since both actions are unacceptable and against the rules, it really doesn't matter, but I feel that if there hasn't been a whistle before she kicks the ball, then one is certainly needed at that time. Everyone in the gym sees that and it slights the officiating crew and is an affront to the game overall.

Personally, it would come down to which position I had on the court. If I am next to this player, then my whistle sounds when she puts the ball down and walks away. If my partner is over there and chooses to instruct her to retrieve the ball, then I'm staying out of it until she elects to kick it. At that point I'm charging a T from anywhere on the court.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

If this was the first act, wouldn't a game delay warning work? I'm sure the official didn't tell #32 to go back to the ball and kick it over to me. If this is in addition to other knucklehead conduct then spank her with a technical.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:30pm
Esteemed Participant

In this situation she should have been T'd as soon as she placed the ball on the floor. It is obvious that the new L is asking her for the ball as she does that, so go ahead and ring her up.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefAHallic View Post
If this was the first act, wouldn't a game delay warning work? I'm sure the official didn't tell #32 to go back to the ball and kick it over to me. If this is in addition to other knucklehead conduct then spank her with a technical.
Under NFHS rules, there are only four situations under which you can issue a delay of game warning. This is not one of them.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 06, 2013, 05:12pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
...slowly walk in front of him and the FT shooter just to finish her point of disgust wit the call.
It doesn't seem like she is doing that intentionally, she is heading to her bench the shortest route possible.

Also, I want to know what kind of girl's JV uses a shot clock??