The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Izzo & others on shot clock/adding more offense...

Thoughts?

Tom Izzo on the 35-second clock: “I would like to see a change” | CollegeBasketballTalk
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be in favor of NCAAM going to a 30 sec clock but it's not that big a deal to me personally.

What I found interesting is the sentiment among the NCAA coaches that their game is more physical than the NBA.

The Bilas thread on this subject had differing opinions but seems like many of the coaches agree with him.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I'd be in favor of NCAAM going to a 30 sec clock but it's not that big a deal to me personally.

What I found interesting is the sentiment among the NCAA coaches that their game is more physical than the NBA.

The Bilas thread on this subject had differing opinions but seems like many of the coaches agree with him.
The funny thing is, the college coaches have far more control over how this is called than the NBA coaches do. If they were serious about getting it called tighter, the coaches from Michigan and Michigan State would have significant say in making it happen.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The funny thing is, the college coaches have far more control over how this is called than the NBA coaches do. If they were serious about getting it called tighter, the coaches from Michigan and Michigan State would have significant say in making it happen.
True indeed.

For all the talk of wanting more freedom of movement, a guy like Pitino is going to be bitchin when one of his starters has to sit with 3 early fouls on the perimeter.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

The one that stuck out for me was Beilein saying he teaches the contact. I know we say it and we definitely can tell it happens but that's really telling.

I had a GV (yes, girls' varsity) game this season where I hear the coach tell his kids during a time out, "You've got to get into them! Bump the cutters when they go through the lane!" Coming out of that time out the first girl on the other team to pass through the lane gets chucked...hard. And yes, the whistle blew.

Quote:
True indeed.

For all the talk of wanting more freedom of movement, a guy like Pitino is going to be bitchin when one of his starters has to sit with 3 early fouls on the perimeter.
It's like the "hot stove" touch on the dribbler for NCAAW. It's in the book. We see it every preseason in our officiating video. Of course if we actually call it, the coaches get ticked off.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 06:10am.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 07:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I know during the tournament I saw a lot of contact allowed on dribblers on the perimeter.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

The Rules Committee can make all the changes it wants to the Rules of the Game...NOTHING will happen until the enforcement of the rules by the game officials changes (they HAVE to start calling the game differently).

The game officials won't call it differently until there is uniform accountability across the country (right now each assignor sets the "standard" in their league).

Uniform accountability will NOT occur until there is one person/entity overseeing officiating nationwide. Currently, John Adams, NCAA Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officiating, can only control who/how the NCAA tournament if officiated. When he, or someone else in his position, has control of regular season assignments, THEN the game will be officiated differently.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 10:48am
Do not give a damn!!

I think the game is over coached. You can change the shot clock or call more fouls, that is not going to change that a coach will not allow his team to get out and run or shoot at will. I saw Michigan play all year and they had very little problem scoring a lot of points because they were coached to run on most rebounds and steals. That is not how the game is played much anymore and calling fouls is only going to send people to the foul line. It is not going to help anyone score more. Even the shot clock is not going to change much if players are not prepared to take good shots.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 01:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Imo, changing the shot clock will not make NCAA basketball "better" or more fun to watch. I hardly watch NCAA ball anymore because it really is not that much different from NBA ball, which I can't stand.

If I want to watch 350 high pick-and-roll plays, I will watch an NBA game.

If I want to watch one guy try to go one-on-5 for 20 seconds and then jack up an off-balance 3, I will watch an NBA game.

NCAA games used to be interesting because different teams brought different styles of offense to the game. Now everyone does the same thing, and that's all the same as the NBA. It's boring.

Why was Syracuse able to cause so many problems with their 2-3 zone? Because none of these teams run an "offense" - they just want to have an isolation play and let that guy try to "create" a scoring opportunity.

It has nothing to do with the shot clock. It has nothing to do with the officiating. It is coaches who want to run what the NBA coaches run.

Again, just my opinion.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

NCAA looks nothing like the NBA in style, sets run or the type of defenses are played. You cannot run a 2-3 in the NBA the way you do in college.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
NCAA looks nothing like the NBA in style, sets run or the type of defenses are played. You cannot run a 2-3 in the NBA the way you do in college.

Peace
Actually, they are very similar in a lot of the things they do...
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Actually, they are very similar in a lot of the things they do...
It is the same sport, but not in how the game is coached. There is much more ball movement and player movement in NCAA basketball. That has been the case as long as I can remember. Many teams do not even use the pick and roll in college at all.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 03:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
It is the same sport, but not in how the game is coached. There is much more ball movement and player movement in NCAA basketball. That has been the case as long as I can remember. Many teams do not even use the pick and roll in college at all.

Peace
That may be true as"long as you can remember", but stop looking at 15 years ago and think only of the games in the last two years or so...in fact, think of just the Final Four this year. Think of how many times Michigan pulled one of their posts out to set a high screen for the point guard against the 2-3 zone.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the game is over coached. You can change the shot clock or call more fouls, that is not going to change that a coach will not allow his team to get out and run or shoot at will. I saw Michigan play all year and they had very little problem scoring a lot of points because they were coached to run on most rebounds and steals. That is not how the game is played much anymore and calling fouls is only going to send people to the foul line. It is not going to help anyone score more. Even the shot clock is not going to change much if players are not prepared to take good shots.

Peace
If more fouls were called, the game would open up for the offense and scoring would go up. You wouldn't shoot any more FT's after the initial adjustment because the teams/players would adjust how they play defense. They want to stay on the floor and will stop fouling. It is a fallacy that calling a tighter game (if everyone does it) makes the games a FT contest. It actually can make the game a great game.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 04:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That may be true as"long as you can remember", but stop looking at 15 years ago and think only of the games in the last two years or so...in fact, think of just the Final Four this year. Think of how many times Michigan pulled one of their posts out to set a high screen for the point guard against the 2-3 zone.
Well I have been watching college basketball a lot longer than 15 years. Not sure you know how old I am, but I am not in my 20s.

Also Michigan in the semifinal scored 61 points and would have scored 70 or more if you just consider FTs missed.

And they really scored points in the Championship game with the score 82-76.

Peace