The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA-W rules survey

Recently saw the NCAA-W new rule survey for coaches, officials and admin's.

There were several others, but here are a few I found interesting and my answer. Based on threads here, I am sure there will not be universal agreement on the correct changes/answers.
Disclaimer, all my experience is at HS and JC, so my answers are from that prospective, but I think the topics are good discussion for all levels.

Would you be in favor of permitting one assistant coach to enter the playing court without penalty when a fight or possible fight breaks out? Yes, in my limited experience/observation, that would help more than hurt.

Would you be in favor of adopting a five-second closely guarded violation on the dribbler when she is continuously guarded by the same defender for five seconds in the front court only? Yes, I like the current NFHS rule.

Would you be in favor of permitting coaches to be able to call a timeout ONLY during a dead ball (after a whistle blows or as soon as a ball goes through the net after a score)? No, I thought a lot about this one, but I am not yet ready to support this change.

If there were a 10-second back court violation, would you be in favor of using the shot clock to count the 10 seconds in addition to the official’s count? No, but I could be convinced otherwise. I am also unsure what “in addition to” means. Despite the “accuracy” of using an actual clock I am having trouble visualizing how I could have good vision of the players, the division line, and the shot clock. 99% of the time a 10 second violation is possible, there is considerable pressure in the BC. I don’t want to have to move my eyes off the action to the clock at the other end of the court.

Would you be in favor of putting the ball in play on the sideline for all fouls? No, not sure where this question comes from. Is there a problem with the current diagram?

Would you be in favor of the defensive team receiving the ball after a held ball instead of using the alternating-possession arrow? No, I think a held ball is a 50-50 issue, not a turnover. Until you reinstate the actual jump ball, AP is the best solution.

Discuss.......
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
Recently saw the NCAA-W new rule survey for coaches, officials and admin's.

Would you be in favor of permitting coaches to be able to call a timeout ONLY during a dead ball (after a whistle blows or as soon as a ball goes through the net after a score)? No, I thought a lot about this one, but I am not yet ready to support this change.
A resounding YES. This basically returns partially to the way it was.

Quote:
If there were a 10-second back court violation, would you be in favor of using the shot clock to count the 10 seconds in addition to the official’s count? No, but I could be convinced otherwise. I am also unsure what “in addition to” means. Despite the “accuracy” of using an actual clock I am having trouble visualizing how I could have good vision of the players, the division line, and the shot clock. 99% of the time a 10 second violation is possible, there is considerable pressure in the BC. I don’t want to have to move my eyes off the action to the clock at the other end of the court.
No one said that it has to be the trail that is checking the shot clock in this situation. It could even be the lead. For the most part, they should be able to tell of the ball is clearly in the backcourt for most situations. The C could easily do it too and has a fair look at the location of the ball.

Quote:
Would you be in favor of the defensive team receiving the ball after a held ball instead of using the alternating-possession arrow? No, I think a held ball is a 50-50 issue, not a turnover. Until you reinstate the actual jump ball, AP is the best solution.
Not a chance. NCAA-M tried this several years ago and it was a mess. The big issue was determining exactly who was on defense, if anyone. In some cases it is obvious but on a rebound, it just introduces too much ambiguity. Another case that was problematic was a steal or near steal then a tie-up. Which team was really on defense? Too many goofy situations were encountered so they quickly went back to the arrow.

Philosophically, a held ball, despite what some people claim, is NOT good defense. Good defense would take the ball completely. Leave it the way it is or go back to a jump ball.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:26am.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

An tone could automatically sound at the 10-second mark of the shot clock. Surprised NBA doesn't do this already.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An issue with this was brought up by an NCAAW interpreter in my area. On throw-ins the shot clock starts when the ball is legally touched by or touches a player inbounds (NCAA 2-11-5). Under the ten-second rule for NCAAM, the count begins when a player is in control in his backcourt (NCAA 9-10). So...if the throw-in touches B1 first and then the ball rolls around on the court the shot clock runs but there's no ten-second count since there's no player control by the offense. This scenario renders the idea of using the shot clock to accurately count the 10 seconds useless.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Apr 05, 2013, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, have got to disagree with you on this one ... if only because it eliminates the coaches screaming "TIME OUT" from the sideline while two player tussle for control of the ball.
Old Fri Apr 05, 2013, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
An issue with this was brought up by an NCAAW interpreter in my area. On throw-ins the shot clock starts when the ball is legally touched by or touches a player inbounds (NCAA 2-11-5). Under the ten-second rule for NCAAM, the count begins when a player is in control in his backcourt (NCAA 9-10). So...if the throw-in touches B1 first and then the ball rolls around on the court the shot clock runs but there's no ten-second count since there's no player control by the offense. This scenario renders the idea of using the shot clock to accurately count the 10 seconds useless.
This could work and it wouldn't be hard to get the rules aligned to do so. You could also change the rule to say the 10 count starts at the same time as the shot clock....either both when it is touched in bounds (since there is TC during a throwin) or both when it is controlled inbounds.
Old Fri Apr 05, 2013, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
Sorry, have got to disagree with you on this one ... if only because it eliminates the coaches screaming "TIME OUT" from the sideline while two player tussle for control of the ball.
Let'em scream. Just make sure that one team is clearly in possession before granting a time out. There was a play at our state tournament where this advice should have been put to use.

As I am sure you know, just because they scream for a TO does not mean it is automatic. One of the discussions this year at one of my college meetings was that officials are too quick to grant TO's in these situations. The first priority is to determine possession, if there is simultaneous possession, check to see if players nearest the play are requesting and then see if coach is requesting.

It seems like a pretty good guideline.