The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   UConn Women Technical (Video Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94598-uconn-women-technical-video-added.html)

JRutledge Sun Mar 31, 2013 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 888004)
I've never seen a tourney game start the second half with free throws. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of it, let alone seen it. I probably forgot about a couple, but I doubt I forgot about "a ton."

As for the block, the defender clearly took out the shooter with her body as she was getting the ball. Clean up top does not mean you get to flatten the shooter in the process.

I have had that happen to me a couple of times. One I called the other was a partner. But that has been over 10 years ago, so it is rare for sure.

Clean up top means you get to the ball cleanly first. That did not happen on this play. There should always be expected contact on a blocked shot when the players are different in size and strength.

Peace

APG Sun Mar 31, 2013 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 887997)
Good point.. I usually see officials look to give Techs when a coach is on the way to the locker room. And one usually sees a ton of NCAA tourney games starting the 2nd half with free throws. I like the block, big blocks small player shot let it ride too many stoppages and game interruptions anyway.

What official is looking to give out technicals period? The fact of the matter is a coach is not usually going this ape **** period...much less at the end of the half.

#olderthanilook Sun Mar 31, 2013 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 888006)
I like big blocks too but that defender went through to the shooter to get to the ball. That was a foul.

I watched the block play in slow motion at least 6 or 7 times immediately after the play. Clean up top - hand met ball, then the contact with the body. Guard sprinting to bucket on dribble drive meet help side defense.

Block occurred first unaided by body contact. Foul for body contact on airborne shooter before returning to the floor. Push or block. Either one works.

chapmaja Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:42pm

Wow

The officials really messed up on this one. First, the missed call on the shot was terrible. Then to not call a T on Geno when he was at half court with his assistant having to pull him back was inexcusable. I don't know what the officials were looking at after the play.

The other question I have is how close was the other UConn assistant to getting a T after Geno's T. I can't read lips, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't telling the ref "great call" when she starts chewing the ref out.

SWMOzebra Mon Apr 01, 2013 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 887901)
And two officials had a shot to call this and passed.

Even a late whistle from the T would have been preferrable to the no-call. In the replay looking at the contact from the baseline, you can see the T and he's got a pretty good angle on this play.

JetMetFan Mon Apr 01, 2013 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 888354)
Even a late whistle from the T would have been preferrable to the no-call. In the replay looking at the contact from the baseline, you can see the T and he's got a pretty good angle on this play.

A call from the T was going to be tough on this one. If the contact was more towards the middle of the lane I'd agree with you but with the play taking place clearly in the C's primary the T probably felt that was too much of a reach.