The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 05:14am
AremRed

Michigan v. Kansas

There was a held ball travelling called at some point (can't recall the time) 8:25 of the 2nd half, where a Michigan player had the ball in the paint and went up for a shot. The L called a held ball travelling at the same time the C was signalling a tip (or loose ball). Looked like the L was straight-lined. Did anyone see this?

And, 5 seconds left in overtime -- does Kansas 15 travel before he kicks the ball out?

Last edited by AremRed; Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 06:02am. Reason: It was travelling!
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
There was a held ball called at some point (can't recall the time), where a Michigan player had the ball in the paint and went up for a shot. The L called a held ball at the same time the C was signalling a tip (or loose ball). Looked like the L was straight-lined. Did anyone see this?
I hope someone did, otherwise I can't get it
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 05:51am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I hope someone did, otherwise I can't get it
Unfortunately the box score play-by-play does not list plays like this. I'm sure someone will remember!

Edit: Wait, the NCAA box score has an entry: Turnover, Mitch McGary (travelling), 8:25 2nd half

Edit2: That is the play I am talking about. Travelling, not a held ball.

Last edited by AremRed; Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 06:03am.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Late in the overtime, the talking heads were making a big deal about stopping play to check the time when neither team had a time out left. I can why the officials want to check and not be criticized later. Having said that, Michigan got the ball with 45.0 seconds left in the game. A shot clock violation occurred, do you really need to check the monitor? In the NBA, the officials would have told the operator to put 10.0 seconds on the clock, it would have taken 2 seconds to do so.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Late in the overtime, the talking heads were making a big deal about stopping play to check the time when neither team had a time out left. I can why the officials want to check and not be criticized later. Having said that, Michigan got the ball with 45.0 seconds left in the game. A shot clock violation occurred, do you really need to check the monitor? In the NBA, the officials would have told the operator to put 10.0 seconds on the clock, it would have taken 2 seconds to do so.
The NBA rule regarding timing and the shot clock is different then college. NBA doesn't allow a team to use waste more than 24 seconds if they commit a shot clock violation...even if when the whistle is blown, more than 24 have elapsed. You'll see officials correct this throughout a game if applicable. Then again, if NCAA would spring the money for PTS, no need for this.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
The shot must be released before the clock expires, but it's not a violation until the ball doesn't hit the rim. So, the actual time elapsed could be more than 35 seconds. Here, 35.6 seconds, apparently.

Now, if the shot wasn't off in time, then you'd be right - just reset the clock.