Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tights On Officials ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Players can if they wear long pants like the officials. Officials can't wear long sleeve undershirts, should we disallow it on the players? I wear my wedding ring, should we allow players to do so?
All good points. I probably worded my post poorly. I was simply trying to point out that many officials wear tights for the same reason that many players would like to wear tights, to keep the muscles warm to maybe to lessen the chance of an injury.

We can wear long sleeve undershirts, but I doubt that we would move up our association's ladder wearing such an odd uniform. I've seen officials wearing long sleeve undershirts in recreation, or travel games, especially in some of the cold gymnasiums that we sometimes have to work in. Also, when I was married, I used to take my wedding ring off when I officiated. As an official, I'm not playing, but there are many occasions where a player, or my partner, is tossing a ball to me, and I don't need any jammed fingers, or swollen fingers with the wedding band acting as a tourniquet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 04:15pm.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yeah, That's The Way It Would Go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Not for nothing, Nevada...but how do you know "for sure" that those are tights?
He doesn't, so he would simply ask her to lift up the bottom of her shorts, or ask her to pull down the top of her shorts, so that he can take a real close up look to see if they are really tights, or just sleeves. Maybe he'll take photos for proof? After Delle Donne's boyfriend, or father, or brother, or all three, come out of the stands to beat the crap out of Nevadaref, all of us can take up a collection to help Nevadaref post bail for his sexual voyeurism charge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 05:20pm.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Not to theadjack, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I second the motion. All in favor?

(Many officials wear them. Why can't players?)

I wore them religiously my first two years. Had a lot of calf/quad muscle problems. Switched to mid-thigh compression shorts, and haven't had any problems since. I think I was getting too hot.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 05:20pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
He doesn't, so he would simply ask her to lift up the bottom of her shorts, or ask her to pull down the top of her shorts, so that he can take a real close up look to see if they are really tights, or just sleeves. Maybe he'll take photos for proof? After Delle Donne's boyfriend, or father, or brother, or all three, come out of the stands to beat the crap out of Nevadaref, all of us can take up a collection to help Nevadaref post bail for his sexual voyeurism charge.
I just noticed that you posted something similar in another thread in response to the questions I ask. Uh, nobody say to ask to see anything private. It they are sleeves, seeing the top of them is not a horrible thing like you make it out to be. If they are tights, take them off.

I do feel the same as others: I wouldn't be sad at all if we didn't have to look for this stuff. However, since we do (and my military career makes me somewhat of a rule follower) I look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
I wore them religiously my first two years. Had a lot of calf/quad muscle problems. Switched to mid-thigh compression shorts, and haven't had any problems since. I think I was getting too hot.
I wore calf sleeves...sometimes. They are great, but about the same amount as tights.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

What he said.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 05:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pants On Fire ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Nobody say to ask to see anything private. If they are sleeves, seeing the top of them is not a horrible thing like you make it out to be.
It's called hyperbole, a word that I learned in Mr. Chieffo's eight grade English class.

I'm not asking to see anything more than I can see without the player, boy, or girl, moving any part of the shorts up, or down. If I think that they are tights, I'm simply asking, "Are those tights?". If the player says, "No, they're just sleeves.", then I'm believing him, or her. Once the coach tells us, in our pregame, that the players are legally equipped, then that's where it ends for me. It's now a done deal. Play on. However, when in Rome, check your local listings

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 06:16am.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump ??? How High ???

Quote:
I do feel the same as others: I wouldn't be sad at all if we didn't have to look for this stuff. However, since we do (and my military career makes me somewhat of a rule follower) I look for it.
Thank you for putting yourself in harm's way in service to our country.

No military background for me, but I'm as much of a rule follower as anybody, which is why I would like the NFHS to allow tights, maybe with some color restrictions, which would not only make my job easier, but would allow me, as a rule follower, to sleep at night.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 06:13am.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 05:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rose Colored Glasses ...

Quote:
I just noticed that you posted something similar in another thread in response to the questions I ask.
Maybe it was this (below), and, like you, a lot of Forum members disagreed with me.

I'm not asking players to remove tape from their earlobes to check for earrings.

And, I'm not asking players to hitch up their shorts to check for tights.

Maybe I'm naive, or too trusting, but if a player, and his coach, tell me that they're legally equipped, then that's enough for me. I don't like accusing people of being liars, unless I have a pretty darn good reason to so so.

Again, when in Rome, check your local listings.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 06:51am.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

If they are wearing tape on their ears, I always ask.

It is normally pretty obvious what they are trying to do. If you let them wear jewelry whether it is under tape or not it is a disregard for safety rules...

Now depending on the jurisdiction, there are two different standards of liability. Allowing jewelry like this may or may not be grossly negligent but it probably meets ordinary negligence... I don't plan on finding out...

Now for the disclaimer

this is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Thought That That Would Cover Everything ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.
... not even with the express written consent of Major League Baseball?