Thread: "Hot Step"
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

This is what I was trying to mention to you earlier potato. You need to specify what rule set you're trying to get clarification on. The ruling will be different under NCAA/NFHS/FIBA rules than the NBA...which is why you shouldn't look at NBA example of plays unless you want clarification under their rules because there will be plays legal in the NBA that aren't under a different rule set.

Jump/Pro/Hop (not hot) step under NCAA and NFHS rules (and I assume FIBA but I won't say for sure):

If a player ends their dribble/catches the ball with both feet in the air, they may land on both feet. In this case they may pivot with either foot.

If a player ends their dribble/catches the ball with both feet in the air, they may land on one foot, jump off that foot, and may land on both feet. In this case, they MAY NOT pivot.

If a player ends their dribble/catches the ball with a foot on the floor, they may jump off that foot and land on both feet simultaneously. In this case, they MAY NOT pivot.

NBA:

If a player gathers the ball (ends their dribble or catches the ball) with both feet in the air, they may land on both feet and may pivot with either foot.

If a player gathers the ball with a foot on the floor, they may jump off that foot and land on both feet. In this case, they may pivot with either foot.

If a player gathers the ball with with a foot on the floor, they may step with the other foot, jump off that foot, and land on both feet simultaneously. In this case, they MAY NOT pivot.

Finally, you seriously need to stop using steps unless you're asking about traveling under NBA rules. They are the only rule set that uses steps in determining the pivot foot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.