The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball rule questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94496-basketball-rule-questions.html)

just another ref Sun Mar 24, 2013 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 886461)
I don't think you can ever take 2 steps without dribbling, can you?

no

APG Sun Mar 24, 2013 02:31pm

Quote:

Catch the ball in the air...left foot hits...then right foot...jump off that foot for a layup.

JRutledge Sun Mar 24, 2013 02:34pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 886488)
Catch the ball in the air...left foot hits...then right foot...jump off that foot for a layup.

It would also depend on what you consider "steps." I would consider any step to be even if it was with the non-pivot foot. And since "steps" are not defined in NCAA or NF Rules, that is going to be subjective what people mean by steps. ;)

Peace

APG Sun Mar 24, 2013 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 886490)
It would also depend on what you consider "steps." I would consider any step to be even if it was with the non-pivot foot. And since "steps" are not defined in NCAA or NF Rules, that is going to be subjective what people mean by steps. ;)

Peace

Indeed...the sequence I described above would be considered two steps in the NBA..but then again, that's part of their criteria in establishing a pivot foot in their rules.

just another ref Sun Mar 24, 2013 02:55pm

In everyday terms, basketball notwithstanding, when you think of two steps, you picture this. A person is standing still with both feet on the floor. He lifts one foot, moves it forward, then returns it to the floor. He then lifts the other foot, moves it forward, and returns it to the floor.

You cannot legally do this holding a basketball. Period. (not talking about NBA)

But watch the tournament for a few minutes, see a move to the basket, particularly a spin move, and this is dramatically contradicted.

Over and over.

Mark Padgett Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 886386)
3.Is there a limit how high you can dribble the ball?

Yes, the gym ceiling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 886386)
1.How much bumping is allowed by the offense?

14.27%. It's different in metric.

JRutledge Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 886505)
In everyday terms, basketball notwithstanding, when you think of two steps, you picture this. A person is standing still with both feet on the floor. He lifts one foot, moves it forward, then returns it to the floor. He then lifts the other foot, moves it forward, and returns it to the floor.

You cannot legally do this holding a basketball. Period. (not talking about NBA)

But watch the tournament for a few minutes, see a move to the basket, particularly a spin move, and this is dramatically contradicted.

Over and over.

People use "steps" all the time in their description of traveling in many situations. So it is possible that people are imagining it one way and someone is imagining it in another way. That is why I hate to even use that terminology like I would not use "over the back." It gives the wrong impression of what actually the rule describes.

Peace

just another ref Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 886520)
....it is possible that people are imagining it one way and someone is imagining it in another way.

Hence the description. No need to imagine. If the above description is what you mean by two steps, the answer is no, it's not legal.

Yet it happens a lot without a call.

OKREF Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 886488)

That's not 2 steps. That is 1 and a half.

JRutledge Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 886523)
Hence the description. No need to imagine. If the above description is what you mean by two steps, the answer is no, it's not legal.

Yet it happens a lot without a call.

OK, and what are you going to do about it?

As I have said before a lot of travels are called improperly and a lot of them are not called. It is the nature of the beast.

Peace

JRutledge Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 886524)

What is a half step?

Peace

just another ref Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 886526)
OK, and what are you going to do about it?

I'm going to continue to call it in my games despite the fact that it is (improperly by rule) not called at higher levels.

just another ref Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:34pm

There's one now. 15:26 second half Indiana Temple

APG Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 886524)

There is no definition of steps in NFHS/NCAA rules. I'd venture a guess and say most laypersons would consider my scenario to be 2 steps. And in the NBA, where steps are used to determine the pivot foot, my scenario would be considered two steps.

OKREF Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 886527)
What is a half step?

Peace

Left ft on ground, step with right(1 step), lift left ft, shoot or pass before it hits, (1/2 step).