The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball rule questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94496-basketball-rule-questions.html)

APG Tue Mar 26, 2013 06:05am

Good lord, this thread is a cluster****.

Potato...I just want to point out that the answers you're going to be getting here mostly pertain to NFHS (National Federation of High School....aka high school) rules. That means that you will get an interpretation on say traveling that would make a play you see in an NBA game illegal, but perfectly legal in an NBA game (which will be the biggest confusion you'll see between the rule sets).

I will answer your NBA questions as there will be more than enough people that will be adequately be able to answer your questions using NFHS and/or NCAA rules. I saw one question talking about 5 second back to basket. You're confusing a closely guarded count with the NBA only 5 second back to basket violation.

Under NBA rules, an offensive player may not dribble with the ball below the free throw line extended with his back or side to his basket for longer than 5 seconds. It matters not how close or not the defense is. The 5 second count ends when the player ends his dribble, the player faces the basket, the player goes above the free throw line extended, or the defense deflects the ball away.

BillyMac Tue Mar 26, 2013 06:24am

Waiter, Separate Threads Please ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 886826)
You can try it, but you're not likely to get satisfactory answers to all of your questions.

Agree. Only one question per thread, please.

stiffler3492 Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 886527)
What is a half step?

Peace

Going from a natural to a sharp!

JRutledge Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 886903)
Going from a natural to a sharp!

And I still do not know what that means.

Where is the definition of this half step in the rulebook or casebook?

This is why you do not use the term "steps" as there is no rules reference for that classification. It is all about the pivot foot and when it is established and what you can do with the pivot foot.

Peace

MD Longhorn Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 886907)
And I still do not know what that means.

Go buy a music book.

Adam Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 886917)
Go buy a music book.

No need, we can always go to the Wikipedia on the interwebs.

bob jenkins Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 886858)

+1.

And, if you don't jsut accept the answers and start "arguing" them (e.g. you ask "how many steps", you get an answer of "it's not steps it's the movement of the pivot foot" and then you ask again "but what about a half a step"), it's going to be even worse.

The NCAA book is available on-line.

It will answer most of the questions you ask.

icallfouls Tue Mar 26, 2013 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 886858)

P

Just close the thread, so it can start over. Not sure about anyone else but its giving me a headache. No direction, just wandering all over the place (1 and 1/2 steps at a time :) )

Raymond Tue Mar 26, 2013 02:30pm

Having seen that first post I haven't bothered to read any of the responses.

Adam Tue Mar 26, 2013 02:31pm

This has spun out of control, in my opinion. I might go through and pull out some individual questions and create new threads; but don't hold your breath.