The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:32pm
NFHS Official

UNLV/Cal Video Please.

1:06 left in 1st half. Drive to basket. Looks like FF1 to me. Yep that's what they called. Good call in my opinion.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:38pm
Official & Member

That was the fourth time today I've seen a stoppage for review of contact. I don't recall all the video review last year. Is this a year-long initiative or is something Adams has mandated for the tourney this year?
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:48pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
That was the fourth time today I've seen a stoppage for review of contact. I don't recall all the video review last year. Is this a year-long initiative or is something Adams has mandated for the tourney this year?
Don't know. They have been going to video a lot. Called this a common foul at first. Then upgraded after looking at video. Maybe they have been instructed to go look if it is even close.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:56pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Don't know. They have been going to video a lot. Called this a common foul at first. Then upgraded after looking at video. Maybe they have been instructed to go look if it is even close.
Maybe so, but it is definitely a momentum/flow killer. After the last one in this game, I thought "this is getting ridiculous".
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
This is because these officials want to be selected for future rounds of this tournament. Adams can't really control what happens in each conference during the regular season. The officials want to make sure they "mind their P's and Q's".....
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Cal / UNLV

Throw-in with 8 seconds left. Sure looked like the Cal player that received the inbounds pass traveled.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The replay review in the first half was due to a coach's request to review the play so it had nothing to do with any "emphasis" on the rule during the tournament.

I agree with the FF1 in the 2nd half b/c first contact was to the face and then he also grabbed A1's arm. It wasn't intentional or malicious but it fit a FF1 call.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Throw-in with 8 seconds left. Sure looked like the Cal player that received the inbounds pass traveled.
The video shown wasn't the travel I thought I saw. Now I'm not sure if the time was 8 seconds or was sometime around there.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Rich, I thought the same thing on the possible travel. It looked like the player travelled before he dribbled and then he may have been fouled but it was not called. I would like to see a replay on that. edit - I just watched the video APG provided and the travel we are talking about is not the one on the video. The one we are talking about occurs after the one on the video with 8 seconds left and by the time a foul happens there is 1 second.

Same game...
I have a college rules question. I believe the college rule on free throws is that players in the lane except the shooter may move after the shooter releases the ball on the last free throw and that players outside the lane and the shooter must wait until the ball hits the rim. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then did anyone else notice that at the end of the game, Cal was up 3 and fouling UNLV on purpose. The last 2 times UNLV was shooting on the players last free throw, one of the UNLV players from outside the 3 point line came charging down the lane on the release. Both times the free throw was made and neither time was this violation called.

Last edited by hoopguy; Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 11:34am.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 11:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
...Same game...
I have a college rules question. I believe the college rule on free throws is that players in the lane except the shooter may move after the shooter releases the ball on the last free throw and that players outside the lane and the shooter must wait until the ball hits the rim. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then did anyone else notice that at the end of the game, Cal was up 3 and fouling UNLV on purpose. The last 2 times UNLV was shooting on the players last free throw, one of the UNLV players from outside the 3 point line came charging down the lane on the release. Both times the free throw was made and neither time was this violation called.
Restrictions for the shooter and players not along the free-throw lane lines is the same as NFHS.

These violations were famously called last year during the tournament.