The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Byu-unlv

(Standard disclaimer, yellow ball, not orange ball guy myself.)

So last night BYU scores to go down three with about 30 seconds left. The UNLV player attempting to inbound starts to move the ball forward and the defender pressuring the inbound throw comes across and hits the ball for a technical foul. The crew then goes to the monitor before shooting the free throws.
First question, if going to the monitor wasn't unrelated what would it have been for? This isn't reviewable in any way is it?

Second question, the referee on the endline was standing about 3 steps deep. Had this been close (it wasn't) how would you know from that position if the defender had gotten the ball on the inbounds or out of bounds side of the plane?
________
Ceramic Bongs

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:38pm.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 04:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
(Standard disclaimer, yellow ball, not orange ball guy myself.)

So last night BYU scores to go down three with about 30 seconds left. The UNLV player attempting to inbound starts to move the ball forward and the defender pressuring the inbound throw comes across and hits the ball for a technical foul. The crew then goes to the monitor before shooting the free throws.
First question, if going to the monitor wasn't unrelated what would it have been for? This isn't reviewable in any way is it?
They can go to the monitor if they are looking to make sure the 3 point shot did not have a foot on the line or the time is properly set or any number of things. It appears the people on TV did not know what was taking place and probably why you did not know what was taking place.

Quote:
Second question, the referee on the endline was standing about 3 steps deep. Had this been close (it wasn't) how would you know from that position if the defender had gotten the ball on the inbounds or out of bounds side of the plane?
Only three steps. How much closer did you want him to be?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 04:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

#2: being farther from the EL decreases one's ability to call this accurately. Sometimes vets officiate using their experience rather than positioning.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the gaem. I did not think they looked at the monitor. The crew met briefly and then the calling official went to the table. It looked like he was explaining the class of technical etc.... I did not see them looking at the monitor.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
#2: being farther from the EL decreases one's ability to call this accurately. Sometimes vets officiate using their experience rather than positioning.
I'm sorry, but I don't follow what you mean. Your first sentence reflected what I thought. (I.e., I'd hate to call a close foul ball from a similar angle.) The second one I don't get at all.
________
F_UCKmeF_UCK live

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:39pm.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They can go to the monitor if they are looking to make sure the 3 point shot did not have a foot on the line or the time is properly set or any number of things. It appears the people on TV did not know what was taking place and probably why you did not know what was taking place.
I actually thought it might have related to time but it was pretty quick if that was the case (just once).

Quote:
Only three steps. How much closer did you want him to be?

Peace
If this was the only call you had to make, the right position would be on the exact corner of the court. (You can't be run into but you can exactly judge plane violations.) It's not the only thing, but I was surprised by his depth.
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:39pm.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 06:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I actually thought it might have related to time but it was pretty quick if that was the case (just once).
It is really hard to judge why they were at the table without more information.

Quote:
If this was the only call you had to make, the right position would be on the exact corner of the court. (You can't be run into but you can exactly judge plane violations.) It's not the only thing, but I was surprised by his depth.
You would be incorrect, because we always teach the lead official to be off the court. And if you are in the position you suggest, then you miss the angle on many plays that go to the basket. And you do not need to see the line by standing on the line. I think you are trying to take a softball philosophy to another sport that does not work (I work Baseball BTW).

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You would be incorrect, because we always teach the lead official to be off the court. And if you are in the position you suggest, then you miss the angle on many plays that go to the basket. And you do not need to see the line by standing on the line. I think you are trying to take a softball philosophy to another sport that does not work (I work Baseball BTW).
This was not the LEAD, it was the TRAIL official following a made goal by the opponent. There are no drives to the basket that require a different angle in this situation.

Youngump is correct, and the NCAA has even sent out a recent memo stating that the TRAIL officials is to remain on the end line during the throw-in and not be several steps onto the court anticipating the new direction of play.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

It must be a Women's Memo.

I just looked at all the memos, nothing about where officials stand or do not stand. Oh well.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Nope, it was on the men's side!

Quote:
I just looked at all the memos, nothing about where officials stand or do not stand. Oh well.
Please stop with the childish and attempted belittling comments towards me. They only serve to blow up in your face. Thanks to this last one, everyone who reads this forum can clearly see that you are in error.
It would also be really nice, if you could be man enough to admit that you are wrong JUST ONCE!
I don't know why you continue to act this way, but you need to get over it. It's really sad.

==============================================
https://www.eofficials.com/controlpa...x?ContentID=3#

2008-09 Officiating Bulletins

2008-09 Bulletin #2
2008-09 Bulletin #1

*Note that the above links only work if one is logged in to the eofficials site.
===============================================
MEMORANDUM

December 12, 2008

TO: NCAA Divisions I, II and III Coordinators of Men’s Basketball Officials.
National Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officiating.
SUBJECT: Bulletin No. 1 and December 9, 2008, Teleconference Follow-Up.
NCAA MEMORANDUM
December 12, 2008
Page No. 2
10. After made baskets, the new trail official must “stay behind” to referee the throw in and then trail the dribbler up the floor until he can take a normal position as the trail (or now possibly center) official in the front court. It is unacceptable mechanic to referee the throw in after a made basket from a position on the playing court in front of the thrower-in.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 01:46am.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
10. After made baskets, the new trail official must “stay behind” to referee the throw in and then trail the dribbler up the floor until he can take a normal position as the trail (or now possibly center) official in the front court. It is unacceptable mechanic to referee the throw in after a made basket from a position on the playing court in front of the thrower-in.
And then it should have added, Tim Higgins that means you.