The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Putting hands on official? (Video added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94316-putting-hands-official-video-added.html)

paulsonj72 Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:46pm

Putting hands on official? (Video added)

Is it an automatic dq if a player puts hsi(or her) hands on an official. Late in the 1st half of the Illinois 2A boys title game a player did so and was subsequently dq'ed. However that was his 2nd T as he had just received a T for the same play so he could have been dq'ed for that. If not for the 1st T is that an automatic DQ(or ejection as called on the TV broadcast)

Adam Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:48pm

Not necessarily automatic, but very likely.

paulsonj72 Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 883959)
Not necessarily automatic, but very likely.

As stated kid was dq'ed(or ejected) because putting his hands on the official was his 2nd T and thus that was automatic.

JRutledge Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05pm

It is pretty automatic. I saw the play too and it was a good call. I can see this play being used as an example in future videos in our state.

Peace

paulsonj72 Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 883963)
It is pretty automatic. I saw the play too and it was a good call. I can see this play being used as an example in future videos in our state.

Peace

I actually didn't see the play live. I was watching another game online but heard the audio and all the hub hub so I changed screens and saw the whole thing on replay. I asked because I was curious as I have never seen that at the high school level and also since he was gone anyway due to the 2nd T.

rekent Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:15pm

APG, Jet - anyone able to post this one for those of us who didn't see it?

JRutledge Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 883964)
I actually didn't see the play live. I was watching another game online but heard the audio and all the hub hub so I changed screens and saw the whole thing on replay. I asked because I was curious as I have never seen that at the high school level and also since he was gone anyway due to the 2nd T.

I saw the play.

If I can get copy of the play, I will post it. But I certainly feel it was warranted and would have been warranted if it was the first T.

Peace

Adam Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 883961)
As stated kid was dq'ed(or ejected) because putting his hands on the official was his 2nd T and thus that was automatic.

I'm just saying it may not be automatic flagrant, but it's close. I haven't seen the play, so I dont know what you mean by "putting hands on the official."

paulsonj72 Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 883967)
I'm just saying it may not be automatic flagrant, but it's close. I haven't seen the play, so I dont know what you mean by "putting hands on the official."

He gave the official a shove(not a big one but still a shove) while proteszting his 1st T. He was then given the 2nd T for the shove and was DQ'ed(ejected) for 2 T's

APG Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:37pm

South Holland (Seton Academy) vs Harrisburg?

If that's the game, I might be able to get a clip of the play later.

paulsonj72 Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 883970)
South Holland (Seton Academy) vs Harrisburg?

If that's the game, I might be able to get a clip of the play later.

That is the game. Happened with 2:05 to go in the 2nd quarter

deecee Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 883968)
He gave the official a shove(not a big one but still a shove)

He's done in my game.

APG Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:20am

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/dsMAUlT5v-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

deecee Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:41am

Adios son, enjoy the game from the bench.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 10, 2013 01:09am

Either way on this one he was done, it was his 2nd T.

Touching an official may or may not be a flagrant T, however. If it is hostile, FF. If it is chummy (puts their arm across your shoulder to ask a question), probably nothing.

paulsonj72 Sun Mar 10, 2013 01:41am

Statement from the IHSA on tonights 2A title game

IHSA Statement on Class 2A Boys Basketball State Championship Game > IHSA

AremRed Sun Mar 10, 2013 01:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 883994)
Statement from the IHSA on tonights 2A title game

IHSA Statement on Class 2A Boys Basketball State Championship Game > IHSA

That statement makes me wonder if there were more unsporting acts than just the one in the video. Does anyone know what else happened?

paulsonj72 Sun Mar 10, 2013 02:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 883995)
That statement makes me wonder if there were more unsporting acts than just the one in the video. Does anyone know what else happened?

Yes. After the game and during the award ceremony Seton Academy walked off before getting the 2nd place trophy and did not come back to receive the trophy. Aslo the Seton coach supposedly took off his silver medal and tossed it to an assistant coach.(not sure why there. There could be a legit reason there) They also apparently left the arena almost right after the awards ceremony and he also supposedly had some words with some fans behind the bench right after the final buzzer. HArrisburg had a few fans rush the floor when there was still some time left on the clock.(not many and it was like .8 seconds) but the IHSa takes a dim view of this and the game itself was very chippy and physical with words going back and forth. There was a technical earlier in the game on a Harrisburg player before the incident with the Seton player.

JRutledge Sun Mar 10, 2013 02:03am

I have a rather good source there was a lot going on in the arena. I heard there were some words from the stands and other places that were inappropriate.

Peace

paulsonj72 Sun Mar 10, 2013 02:07am

My source is a media source. I defer to those who have more info. Here is where I got a good amount of my info as well as this one from Peoria.

IHSA Class 2A boys basketball state final: Seton leaves upset after upset loss to Harrisburg during which Mark Weeks was ejected - chicagotribune.com

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/sportsc...early-and-late

AremRed Sun Mar 10, 2013 02:30am

The second page of this article editorializes quite a bit, and has some harsh words concerning the officials.

paulsonj72 Sun Mar 10, 2013 02:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 884003)
The second page of this article editorializes quite a bit, and has some harsh words concerning the officials.

It was a column and I couldn't just get the 1st page.

Rich Sun Mar 10, 2013 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 884003)

I've heard this argument before. Rural officials working city school games. As someone who works games involving both city and rural schools, there's no denying that the games are different beasts to call.

That said, the 2 technical fouls called in the video above seemed to be right on the money and showed an official who reacted properly to a situation.

grunewar Sun Mar 10, 2013 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 883972)
He's done in my game.

Agreed. Good call!

JetMetFan Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 884016)
I've heard this argument before. Rural officials working city school games. As someone who works games involving both city and rural schools, there's no denying that the games are different beasts to call.

That said, the 2 technical fouls called in the video above seemed to be right on the money and showed an official who reacted properly to a situation.

The entire game is at this link: 2013 IHSA Boys Basketball 2A Championship - South Holland (Seton Academy) vs Harrisburg (Event): Illinois: PlayOn! Sports

My guess is the guy who wrote the column went overboard with how the game was handled but we can all watch for ourselves. I definitely don't like the fact he not only mentioned the officials' names but the towns in which they live.

maven Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884024)
I definitely don't like the fact he not only mentioned the officials' names but the towns in which they live.

In my state, he would face disciplinary action (withdrawn credentials, denial of future credentials) for such behavior.

srp6977 Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:27pm

Preface-I'm an official from the Peoria area and had no rooting interest in the game other than a fan of basketball.

I was at this game and about 40 feet from where the T's were called. #4 that got booted probably should have been T'd earlier in the game. With a ringside seat I could see him trash talking from the tip-off.

I am going to say this while biting my tongue because as we all know you hate to judge another official and I very rarely do, but these guys let the game get to the point they had these technicals. They had no control over this game out of the shoot. Thus it escalated into what it did.

You had kids whacking each other, talking trash and acting like fools with nothing happening from the officials. Kids off ball were beating the hell out of each other and nothing. Somebody would get killed on one end of the floor in a giant crash with nothing and then a touch foul at the other end. It was odd to watch. I counted 6 crashes at the basket with bodies everywhere and nothing.

In their defense there was one official who tried to clean it up, but he was not enough. The other two unfortunately laid an egg. It was hard to watch. I felt bad for them to make it to the pinnacle in a championship game and then have a train wreck.

Someone mentioned the fans. I was very near the Harrisburg fans and they were brutal. If it would have been in a high school gym several of them would have been ejected. Some of the stuff they were saying was embarrassing to say the least.

With all that said as usual the losing team still easily could have won if they had just hit their free throws. If they shoot 70% from the line they win anyway.

It wasn't a great way for the fans, players, coaches or the officials to end their season.

JetMetFan Sun Mar 10, 2013 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 883968)
He gave the official a shove(not a big one but still a shove) while proteszting his 1st T. He was then given the 2nd T for the shove and was DQ'ed(ejected) for 2 T's

So...watching the whole scene develop I don't believe White #4 shoved the official to protest the first T. I believe White #4 made contact with the official because he was trying to show him what Blue #11 did after the foul was called. Not the wisest move for sure but that's my view.

Take a look at Blue #11 on the sideline view right after he's called for the foul. He gives White #4 a little shove in the back. That's what led to White #4's first T for saying something to Blue #11. When the T is called White #4 looks to the official and tries to show him what Blue #11 did...again, not the best move on his part.

When I first watched the play the thing that jumped out at me was there wasn't really any anger on White #4's face as he approached/made contact with the official. I know, we're not psychologists out there but that didn't make sense to me if he was truly angry about the call.

srp6977 Sun Mar 10, 2013 02:16pm

JetMetFan-
You are correct on all counts. But several times leading up to this point in the game #4 white was trash talking and was angrily gesturing and talking to the officials. They didn't take care of it early, so it escalated into what it did.

paulsonj72 Sun Mar 10, 2013 03:21pm

Regarding the Comments in this story

For an interesting(to say the least) perspective from some people read the comments from the Chicago Tribune Story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1172517.story

pfan1981 Sun Mar 10, 2013 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 884016)
I've heard this argument before. Rural officials working city school games. As someone who works games involving both city and rural schools, there's no denying that the games are different beasts to call

Isn't basketball basketball? The NFHS rule book is not different depending on the game. Not looking to stir things up. A charge is a charge and a travel is a travel, etc. I understand the pace, offense, and defense may be different, but as the official, you enforce the same rule book. Watching the game, some Ts should have been given out earlier to get things under control.

BillyMac Sun Mar 10, 2013 04:43pm

Hot Town, Summer InThe City ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 884046)
Isn't basketball basketball?

Basketball has always been a city game, played by city kids, at first Jewish kids, then Irish kids, and now, by many African American kids, without easy access to baseball fields, football fields, or hockey rinks, but with easy access to parks with lots, and lots, of basketball courts.

The suburban games, and rural games, are basketball, but they're a very different type of basketball. Not better. Not worse. Just different. I'm fortunate that I can officiate all different kinds of basketball here in my little corner of Connecticut, city, suburban, and rural, and I enjoy officiating all three types. I would probably have a problem if I only officiated city games and then had to do a game in a rural community. Contact that kids can play through in the city, they can't play through in the country. City games seem to move at a faster pace. The coaching is different. The players are different. The parents, and other fans, are different. And each group has a different expectation about how the game will officiated. It's the same game, but it's different, and very hard to explain, without being condescending to a particular group, or thought of as a racist, or a country-phile, or a city-phile.

JetMetFan Sun Mar 10, 2013 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by srp6977 (Post 884037)
JetMetFan-
You are correct on all counts. But several times leading up to this point in the game #4 white was trash talking and was angrily gesturing and talking to the officials. They didn't take care of it early, so it escalated into what it did.

I just watched the game again and focused on White #4. Unless he was doing a heck of a lot of stuff off camera, I don't see any gesturing at officials and only one instance of trash talking: he was the other guy involved when Blue #55 got his T. BTW, Blue #55 should have had a couple calls against him while playing defense in the post in the first four minutes of the game.

At any rate, White #4 had two common fouls against him. Both were in the 2nd and he never reacted to the official. After the 2nd foul (a hand check), Blue #11 gave him a shove and the two may have had words. One thing I will say about that play is the calling official should have blown his whistle a few seconds earlier when White #4 had a locked arm against Blue #11's torso. If he gets that, the second hand check - and possibly Blue #11's reaction - don't happen.

I'm not trying to be the kid's attorney but the video doesn't support saying he was "trash talking and...angrily gesturing and talking to the officials." Obviously I wasn't there so maybe stuff happened off camera but he sure didn't do anything out of the ordinary in front of the bright lights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 884044)
For an interesting(to say the least) perspective from some people read the comments from the Chicago Tribune Story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1172517.story

"...making contact with the official's head with his own head." :confused:

Did he do it from the grassy knoll, too?

Rich Sun Mar 10, 2013 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 884046)
Isn't basketball basketball? The NFHS rule book is not different depending on the game. Not looking to stir things up. A charge is a charge and a travel is a travel, etc. I understand the pace, offense, and defense may be different, but as the official, you enforce the same rule book. Watching the game, some Ts should have been given out earlier to get things under control.

You work all your games in rural conferences and then try to work a big game in a big city and then we'll talk.

Billy's post upthread is spot on. It's a different style of play and how contact is called is one of the big factors. Another factor is how vigilant you have to be when it comes to things like trash talking and unsportsmanlike behaviors. Play routinely above the rim is another factor.

legend Sun Mar 10, 2013 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 884050)
Basketball has always been a city game, played by city kids, at first Jewish kids, then Irish kids, and now, by many African American kids, without easy access to baseball fields, football fields, or hockey rinks, but with easy access to parks with lots, and lots, of basketball courts.

The suburban games, and rural games, are basketball, but they're a very different type of basketball. Not better. Not worse. Just different. I'm fortunate that I can officiate all different kinds of basketball here in my little corner of Connecticut, city, suburban, and rural, and I enjoy officiating all three types. I would probably have a problem if I only officiated city games and then had to do a game in a rural community. Contact that kids can play through in the city, they can't play through in the country. City games seem to move at a faster pace. The coaching is different. The players are different. The parents, and other fans, are different. And each group has a different expectation about how the game will officiated. It's the same game, but it's different, and very hard to explain, without being condescending to a particular group, or thought of as a racist, or a country-phile, or a city-phile.

Great post...my guess is that one would just have to work both city and rural leagues to truly understand the differences in both. I vividly remember the first city league game I worked and (my guess is that) I seemed completely overwhelmed the first few minuets getting adjusted to the speed and athleticism the city kids had. You just simply can't officiate the two types of games the same. You see some of the plays that the city kids do and they are things that no rural kid that I've ever seen would be able to accomplish.

Adam Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:24pm

Typically, it seems to me the difference is more about the size of the school than the geographic location of the school. I work a lot of big school city ball, small school city ball, and rural ball (some rural schools are actually closer to me than some city schools within the local city limits), and school size is the biggest difference. Bigger schools have bigger talent pools from which to draw players, so the players are faster, stronger, taller, and play higher.

The key is to be flexible enough to recognize when contact presents an advantage and when it doesn't.

twocentsworth Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:35pm

just watched the first half....this crew wasn't ready for this game. Several plays/actions took place and the crew didn't know what to do/how to handle.....

regardless, players/coaches CAN'T let their emotions cause them to react as poorly as players/coaches did on both sides.....

fullor30 Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47pm

Billy Mac's post is spot on.....

That said, having a city school play a downstate rural school, I would have liked to seen a mix of officials that fit Billy's description who would have been able to adapt to any style game, it didn't appear to be the case here.

Second T was warranted, easy one. First one on kid, I dunno. I have know idea what he said, if he had been warned previously, but from tape only I would've passed, especially noting that #11 pushed him ever so slightly in back. To step in and tell him/them to knock it off seemed like the better course. Again from tape only, it didn't seem like much.

Earlier in game there was a situation with Seton coach where official should have gotten away from him after a warning regarding coach's box, Seton coach is then talking to official and is at most two feet out of box and official is pointing him to get back, you have to see it, it just doesn't look good.

Having watched most of game, it was ugly and a tough game to officiate.

JRutledge Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 884050)

I think this was actually the best post I have ever read from you. Seriously!!!

Peace

JetMetFan Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 884083)
just watched the first half....this crew wasn't ready for this game. Several plays/actions took place and the crew didn't know what to do/how to handle.....

I agree. I think some of the contact - especially the no-calls on block-charge situations - caught them off guard. Once those happened they were in trouble.

Another thing that struck me: the body language of the crew during some of the situations. Example: the look on the official's face when he called the T on Blue #55. Also, the look on the officials' faces when they addressed the coaches. Again, I wasn't there and I have no idea what was said but one thing discussed in other threads is trying to keep emotion out of things when making calls.

I'm planning to post some plays from the 1st half when I get home from work later this morning. As always, I'm not doing it to ride the officials. We've all been there at some point. It's more to show how a couple of calls here and there can change things for the better...both for the game and for us.

BillyMac Mon Mar 11, 2013 06:35am

Of Course, They Would Have Had To Pay For My Plane Ticket ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 884084)
I would have liked to seen a mix of officials that fit Billy's description who would have been able to adapt to any style game.

Hey. I was available. It was an open date for me on Arbiter. My bag was packed. Nobody called me.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 11, 2013 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884087)
I think this was actually the best post I have ever read from you. Seriously!!!

Peace

Me too.

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Mar 11, 2013 09:46am

Despite most state associations' working hard on improving sportsmanship, it seems like it isn't getting any better. A couple of things I have heard about inthe past couple of days:

1) the issues on this thread
2) In Minnesota, a coach being escorted out of the game by police. And this happened during a 5th grade tournament.

We need to change culture if we ever want this to get better. As officials, I think we need to accept our share of the blame.

Do we "T" up players we see finger wagging?

Do we let coaches howl at us for an entire game, often outside of the coaching box?

Do we not want to call the early handcheck because "it is a cheap foul"

I will guarantee you that if we as officials started enforcing sportsmanship to the letter of the law much of this negative behavior would cease. A couple of ejections coupled with a couple of suspension should send the message that this type of behavior is not acceptable.

Piggybacking on Billy's comments about where you work, I work exclusively rural games. If you put me in the middle of an inner city game, I would be like a fish out of water.

srp6977 Mon Mar 11, 2013 09:46am

Quote:

I'm not trying to be the kid's attorney but the video doesn't support saying he was "trash talking and...angrily gesturing and talking to the officials." Obviously I wasn't there so maybe stuff happened off camera but he sure didn't do anything out of the ordinary in front of the bright lights.
The camera doesn't do it justice. I was there mid-court 6 rows up. The kid had a gesture and comment for everything. I saw the f-word fly multiple times from him before he got his first T.

BillyMac nailed it on the head in his earlier post. Couldn't have said it better.

26 Year Gap Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 884150)
Despite most state associations' working hard on improving sportsmanship, it seems like it isn't getting any better. A couple of things I have heard about inthe past couple of days:

1) the issues on this thread
2) In Minnesota, a coach being escorted out of the game by police. And this happened during a 5th grade tournament.

We need to change culture if we ever want this to get better. As officials, I think we need to accept our share of the blame.

Do we "T" up players we see finger wagging?

Do we let coaches howl at us for an entire game, often outside of the coaching box?

Do we not want to call the early handcheck because "it is a cheap foul"

I will guarantee you that if we as officials started enforcing sportsmanship to the letter of the law much of this negative behavior would cease. A couple of ejections coupled with a couple of suspension should send the message that this type of behavior is not acceptable.

Piggybacking on Billy's comments about where you work, I work exclusively rural games. If you put me in the middle of an inner city game, I would be like a fish out of water.

Just worked a few USSSA games this weekend. A quick "knock it off" to players "jostling" for position didn't work. A double fist right after the verbal "warning" did work. I also approached a coach about a player "playing to the crowd" after a made 3. (Also told the kid to knock it off) No more problems after that. In my opinion, the double foul call is a great tool that too often is left unused in the tool box.

BubbaRef Mon Mar 11, 2013 02:25pm

My officiating partner actually talked with one of the officials (lets call him Ralph) that did the game because they worked the Finals in Baseball a few years ago together. His take on the game was it was a black/white, rural/city thing from when the ball went up.

The Harrisburg kid that got a T said F'n N----- to the Setan Academy kid. So that warranted that T. Harrisburg coach, after being told what was said, said " I guess that warrants a T" and that was it. Sorry but if I am the coach I take him out and let him ride the pine until the end of the game. Doesnt matter who you are or what type of game it is. IMO

Now for the Setan Academy kid that got kicked out, Ralph, who was the calling official, told my partner there was a little bit of a push from the Setan Academy kid, but since he put both hands on him he said it left him no choice but to give him the second T and eject him.

If you guys thought that Saturday nights game was rough, you should have seen Harrisburg's game Friday night. That, in my opinion was much worse as far as roughness.

JRutledge Mon Mar 11, 2013 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaRef (Post 884224)
My officiating partner actually talked with one of the officials (lets call him Ralph) that did the game because they worked the Finals in Baseball a few years ago together. His take on the game was it was a black/white, rural/city thing from when the ball went up.

The Harrisburg kid that got a T said F'n N----- to the Setan Academy kid. So that warranted that T. Harrisburg coach, after being told what was said, said " I guess that warrants a T" and that was it. Sorry but if I am the coach I take him out and let him ride the pine until the end of the game. Doesnt matter who you are or what type of game it is. IMO

Now for the Setan Academy kid that got kicked out, Ralph, who was the calling official, told my partner there was a little bit of a push from the Setan Academy kid, but since he put both hands on him he said it left him no choice but to give him the second T and eject him.

If you guys thought that Saturday nights game was rough, you should have seen Harrisburg's game Friday night. That, in my opinion was much worse as far as roughness.

I will say this. If that is remotely true, I would have ejected that kid on the spot.

One more reason that crew was not ready for that kind of game. I hope just for their sake that is not true.

Peace

#olderthanilook Mon Mar 11, 2013 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrutledge (Post 884226)
i will say this. If that is remotely true, i would have ejected that kid on the spot.

One more reason that crew was not ready for that kind of game. I hope just for their sake that is not true.

Peace

+1000

scrounge Mon Mar 11, 2013 02:45pm

Quote:

Ok, I get that putting both hands left him no choice to call the second T. But what did he do to get the first?

BubbaRef Mon Mar 11, 2013 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 884229)
Ok, I get that putting both hands left him no choice to call the second T. But what did he do to get the first?

My partner didnt ask him about the first T so I cant say. I would assume for something said to the Harrisburg kid, but not sure.

BubbaRef Mon Mar 11, 2013 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884226)
I will say this. If that is remotely true, I would have ejected that kid on the spot.

Peace

That is what "Ralph" told my partner.

JRutledge Mon Mar 11, 2013 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaRef (Post 884231)
That is what "Ralph" told my partner.

I believe you. I have no reason not to believe you. Just stating if that is true that says a lot about how they were not prepared for that game. You have to know that in a game with teams where one is all one color and the other team for the most part is all another color that this could be a problem when trash talking goes on during the game. I have been officiating a long time and I have never heard a player say anything like that to a player of another color at all, but I have been aware it was an accusation in a game. Nip that crap in the bud. I do it often in my games and in situations like this.

scrounge Mon Mar 11, 2013 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884233)
I believe you. I have no reason not to believe you. Just stating if that is true that says a lot about how they were not prepared for that game. You have to know that in a game with teams where one is all one color and the other team for the most part is all another color that this could be a problem when trash talking goes on during the game. I have been officiating a long time and I have never heard a player say anything like that to a player of another color at all, but I have been aware it was an accusation in a game. Nip that crap in the bud. I do it often in my games and in situations like this.

Yep. I just can't fathom how a player could drop an n-bomb and stay in the game. Yea, I know it's easy to say later not being in the heat of the moment, but there's virtually nothing verbal that could be worse or more predictably lead to repercussions or retaliation. And if true, it just feeds every single stereotype about downstate teams and officials and just gives ammo to those who want to play the race card. They might play it unjustifiably 99 times, but that 1 time where it just might be true gets them off the hook. Sad situation all around.

Adam Mon Mar 11, 2013 03:32pm

I tossed a kid from a football game for that this year. Both players were black, and he was clearly trying to pick a fight with "what's up n----". Like Jeff, I've never seen a white kid use it, though. Right or wrong, there would be a faster hook in this case.

Makes me wonder if Ralph wasn't in a bit over his head.

JRutledge Mon Mar 11, 2013 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 884234)
Yep. I just can't fathom how a player could drop an n-bomb and stay in the game. Yea, I know it's easy to say later not being in the heat of the moment, but there's virtually nothing verbal that could be worse or more predictably lead to repercussions or retaliation. And if true, it just feeds every single stereotype about downstate teams and officials and just gives ammo to those who want to play the race card. They might play it unjustifiably 99 times, but that 1 time where it just might be true gets them off the hook. Sad situation all around.

I can tell you I work in areas or conferences where it is not unusual to have teams with completely different racial backgrounds on both teams like you saw in this championship game. I was sitting with two assignors at a banquet last night (I work for both). When I said to them and others, "I do not know too many assignors that would not assign at least one Black official on that game." You know what one of them said, "I certainly would not do that..."

We talk all the time about working places where you live and if you live in a town should you work a game with a local team? People make more assumptions about the racial composition of individuals than they do by where you live. I have worked recently at least one playoff game with a team in the town where I live and no one has said anything to me about my residence. But when I was working my first Sectional game with a Catholic school (not all white BTW) and an all-Black Community, I heard comments from both set of fans, one side assuming I was not from Chicago, the other assuming I was from Chicago and I was working with two Caucasian officials. Funny part for the 3 of us working that Sectional we all were used to that kind of game and dynamic on the game and one of my partners was a Chicago cop. But people assumed a lot based on the crew's racial mix and believe it or not, I got more crap from the Black community and coach than my partners did (which is typical but that is another conversation for another day). And I can tell you I came from rural, small town Illinois and that was a culture shock for me at first when I moved to the Chicago area. So if I had to adjust and learn that these games can be an extra challenge, you telling me officials that likely never sees that kind of game during the year all of a sudden is prepared for all the crap that could be said or done?

I have said this before, there needs to be more diversity (not necessarily racial diversity) in the officials that work those games and this situation highlights that fact. There are officials in many parts of the state that would have done fine and probably would have put out some of those fires or at least ejected the damn kid for making such a statement.

Peace

Adam Mon Mar 11, 2013 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884237)
I can tell you I work in areas or conferences where it is not unusual to have teams with completely different racial backgrounds on both teams like you saw in this championship game. I was sitting with two assignors at a banquet last night (I work for both). When I said to them and others, "I do not know too many assignors that would not assign at least one Black official on that game." You know what one of them said, "I certainly would not do that..."

We talk all the time about working places where you live and if you live in a town should you work a game with a local team? People make more assumptions about the racial composition of individuals than they do by where you live. I have worked recently at least one playoff game with a team in the town where I live and no one has said anything to me about my residence. But when I was working my first Sectional game with a Catholic school (not all white BTW) and an all-Black Community, I heard comments from both set of fans, one side assuming I was not from Chicago, the other assuming I was from Chicago and I was working with two Caucasian officials. Funny part for the 3 of us working that Sectional we all were used to that kind of game and dynamic on the game and one of my partners was a Chicago cop. But people assumed a lot based on the crew's racial mix and believe it or not, I got more crap from the Black community and coach than my partners did (which is typical but that is another conversation for another day). And I can tell you I came from rural, small town Illinois and that was a culture shock for me at first when I moved to the Chicago area. So if I had to adjust and learn that these games can be an extra challenge, you telling me officials that likely never sees that kind of game during the year all of a sudden is prepared for all the crap that could be said or done?

I have said this before, there needs to be more diversity (not necessarily racial diversity) in the officials that work those games and this situation highlights that fact. There are officials in many parts of the state that would have done fine and probably would have put out some of those fires or at least ejected the damn kid for making such a statement.

Peace

I tend to agree.

Now I need that second Dos Equis.

BubbaRef Mon Mar 11, 2013 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884233)

Not a problem. Just wanted to pass on info I got from a guy that worked the game. I told my partner that I would have tossed the Harrisburg kid for saying it. 1 T for the F word and the 2nd T for the N word. I agree, nip it in the bud early and take care of it.

Rich Mon Mar 11, 2013 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaRef (Post 884241)
Not a problem. Just wanted to pass on info I got from a guy that worked the game. I told my partner that I would have tossed the Harrisburg kid for saying it. 1 T for the F word and the 2nd T for the N word. I agree, nip it in the bud early and take care of it.

It would just be a flagrant technical from me. But I wouldn't hesitate for even a second.

Rich Mon Mar 11, 2013 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 884239)
I tend to agree.

Now I need that second Dos Equis.

Isn't that just a Cuatro Equis?

JRutledge Mon Mar 11, 2013 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaRef (Post 884241)

I would have been more concerned with the use of a racial slur. That is just about as automatic as it can get. And it would have been done with one Flagrant Technical Foul.

Peace

Adam Mon Mar 11, 2013 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 884243)
Isn't that just a Cuatro Equis?

Yeah, but I can't afford the premium stuff.

BillyMac Mon Mar 11, 2013 05:50pm

The N Word ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884244)
I would have been more concerned with the use of a racial slur. That is just about as automatic as it can get. And it would have been done with one Flagrant Technical Foul.

Riddle me this? What if two African American teammates use the n word between themselves, not in anger, but as some type of cultural urban greeting, not whispered, not yelled, but loud enough so that an official, a few players, a few fans, and a coach can hear it?

It wasn't during the game, but the n word was used by Kemba Walker as he was being interviewed, surrounded by his teammates, after Connecticut won their most recent national championship. We all heard it. It's not too far of a stretch to think that we could hear something similar during our high school games.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ARUhURiHThE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

johnny d Mon Mar 11, 2013 06:05pm

Context matters. In the case you bring up BillMac, not being used in deragatory manner or as racial slur, so I wouldnt touch in that situation.

JRutledge Mon Mar 11, 2013 07:37pm

I will tell you the difference. Go to the Southside of Chicago as a white person, Hispanic or someone clearly not apart of that group and see how many *** whoopins you have to avoid. Let me do the same thing and no one would bat an eye. It is really that simple.

Now I am not saying I like the usage fo the word and do not use it in mixed company, let alone inside people I like (I was raised by someone that did not like the word in any context). I often tell players not to use that word around me and I do not care if they are saying it to each other. But they will not use that word in my presence. Usually that sends a message and I do not hear it much. Also that is very rare and most players know that is not acceptable in many circles. They likely do not say that in a classroom. I use it as a teaching moment.

Peace

JetMetFan Mon Mar 11, 2013 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 884262)
Riddle me this? What if two African American teammates use the n word between themselves, not in anger, but as some type of cultural urban greeting, not whispered, not yelled, but loud enough so that an official, a few players, a few fans, and a coach can hear it?

It wasn't during the game, but the n word was used by Kemba Walker as he was being interviewed, surrounded by his teammates, after Connecticut won their most recent national championship. We all heard it. It's not too far of a stretch to think that we could hear something similar during our high school games.

That's a tough one but as JRut mentioned in his most recent post we just establish ground rules. I guess the main difference is he and I go into games knowing it might be used so it's not a major shock. We're both the same in that neither of us likes the word that much so making the kids aware of it - or more aware - is key. Usually a hard stare or a, "Young men, not today" clears up the problems if they're saying it - but not yelling it - to one another.

I've mentioned in other posts we have a "no profanity" policy in the NYC Public Schools (another debate for another time) so when we give a quick mention about sportsmanship in the pre-game meeting we'll remind players in schools where it may be an issue "that includes the N-word." I can say I've yet to have a problem.

Raymond Tue Mar 12, 2013 08:37am

I like the announcers in this video:

Renaldo Balkman banned for chokingteammate | SI Tracking Blog ? Tracking MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, and NCAA On Twitter

tjones1 Wed Mar 13, 2013 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884024)
The entire game is at this link: 2013 IHSA Boys Basketball 2A Championship - South Holland (Seton Academy) vs Harrisburg (Event): Illinois: PlayOn! Sports

My guess is the guy who wrote the column went overboard with how the game was handled but we can all watch for ourselves. I definitely don't like the fact he not only mentioned the officials' names but the towns in which they live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 884030)
In my state, he would face disciplinary action (withdrawn credentials, denial of future credentials) for such behavior.

While I don't like it, it is public knowledge as their pictures and towns are listed in the programs for sale at the arena (which I'm sure media get a [free?] copy).

Quote:

If that's what was said... this is an ejection, period.

For what it's worth I was at the game.

paulsonj72 Wed Mar 13, 2013 07:51pm

Becoming even bigger

This story has now gotten national attention.

Y! SPORTS

JRutledge Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:13pm

I hope you are not surprised.

JetMetFan Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 884648)
While I don't like it, it is public knowledge as their pictures and towns are listed in the programs for sale at the arena (which I'm sure media get a [free?] copy).

That's not a good idea, either. I would hope that's a practice the IHSA would reconsider since there's really nothing positive that come come of it.

Rich Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884690)
That's not a good idea, either. I would hope that's a practice the IHSA would reconsider since there's really nothing positive that come come of it.

Why shouldn't the officials get recognized for their accomplishments the same way as the players and coaches do?

JetMetFan Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 884693)
Why shouldn't the officials get recognized for their accomplishments the same way as the players and coaches do?

Because situations such as this may happen. We can acknowledge each other within our own associations.

Rich Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884695)
Because situations such as this may happen. We can acknowledge each other within our own associations.

I'll take that chance, thank you. I've had my name and photo in various programs over the course of my career and have never had my life threatened and it doesn't concern me that someday it may happen, either.

deecee Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29pm

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with this as we are a big part of the game.

Adam Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34pm

While I don't mind publicizing names and even pictures; addresses and phone numbers? Really?

JRutledge Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44pm

Quote:

The state made the assignment, why would they not acknowledge who worked the tournament? Associations already acknowledge the assignment. Something should come from the state as the records of who worked and when is on the website.

Also I have worked a State Final in football with a school from the same town I was located. Never heard anything about it and I tell that story is how insignificant it can be. It is not a secret where we are from.

Peace

JetMetFan Thu Mar 14, 2013 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 884714)
While I don't mind publicizing names and even pictures; addresses and phone numbers? Really?

Bingo. Also who, exactly, is going to be celebrating our accomplishments? The fans? The schools? I think not. Our family, friends and colleagues know we're on the game. That's more than enough. If you say our names on a TV broadcast, so be it.

Just an FYI, from a college standpoint the ECAC prohibits PA announcers from saying our names during the pre-game intros. My assignor got into arguments with some schools this season because they weren't complying.

APG Thu Mar 14, 2013 01:57am

I gotta go with Rich...I'll take that chance.

Raymond Thu Mar 14, 2013 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 884720)
I gotta go with Rich...I'll take that chance.

Then how come you don't use your name here?

Just a curiosity question.

tjones1 Thu Mar 14, 2013 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 884714)

Addresses and numbers aren't in the program; however, if you have x and y it's not too hard to figure out z.

icallfouls Thu Mar 14, 2013 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 884800)
Addresses and numbers aren't in the program; however, if you have x and y it's not too hard to figure out z.

All you have to do is look in the box score for IHSAA, their names are listed there. Took me all of 2 minutes to find that info (Daniel Smith (R), Richard Tolle, Todd Brooke). The same can be said of a lot of the games we all work.

In some state the names and towns in which an official resides is listed on their website.

I am no expert, but doesn't the freedom of information act also make it possible to get this info? We are working for a state association who receives its money from the public. I think any resourceful person could acquire the info.

JetMetFan Thu Mar 14, 2013 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 884807)
All you have to do is look in the box score for IHSAA, their names are listed there. Took me all of 2 minutes to find that info (Daniel Smith (R), Richard Tolle, Todd Brooke). The same can be said of a lot of the games we all work.

In some state the names and towns in which an official resides is listed on their website.

I am no expert, but doesn't the freedom of information act also make it possible to get this info? We are working for a state association who receives its money from the public. I think any resourceful person could acquire the info.

Sure but is a high school sports reporter really going to go through that trouble to find the hometown information for the officiating crew on a basketball game? I doubt it, especially since they'd face (in IL) a wait of up to five business days.

icallfouls Thu Mar 14, 2013 04:26pm

Not that it matters but for the one or two people who said these guys were in over their heads, these guys were at the final 4 last year as well. It seems like the state didn't think so.

This crew was selected over some IHSAA officials on this forum.

icallfouls Thu Mar 14, 2013 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884812)
Sure but is a high school sports reporter really going to go through that trouble to find the hometown information for the officiating crew on a basketball game? I doubt it, especially since they'd face (in IL) a wait of up to five business days.

It is public information or can easily be obtained. Everyone screams about transparency, unless they are the ones being talked about. Officials want the acknowledgement when they are selected to work a tournament, but then if things don't go well, they don't want anyone to talk about it. You get the good with the bad.

The state seems to have bigger issues with the conduct of the schools (players and coaches) than with the officiating.

rockyroad Thu Mar 14, 2013 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 884817)
Not that it matters but for the one or two people who said these guys were in over their heads, these guys were at the final 4 last year as well. It seems like the state didn't think so.

After watching the video, I don't think they were in over their heads. I think they decided to "let the kids play" and then were shocked when it got out of hand and they had to try to reel them all back in. Jmo. Of course.

Adam Thu Mar 14, 2013 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 884807)

FOIA requests can get a lot of information, but likely not addresses and phone numbers. Unless I can submit a FOIA request and get the governor's secretary's home address. Besides, officials are all (at this level) private contractors rather than employees. I don't think FOIA applies anyway, but I could be wrong.

johnny d Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53pm

Quote:

I dont pretend to know all the people on this forum, not even all those from IL, but this is not necessarily so. This was a 2A championship game. In IL, we get to let the state know if we want to be considered for the 1a and 2a playoffs, the 3a and 4a playoffs, or both. Most of the people that I know from the Chicago area tell the IHSA that they are not interested in working 1a and 2a playoffs because they overlap with the playoffs for the bigger schools and they would rather do those.

JRutledge Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33am

Quote:

We are from Illinois not Indiana. :D

Your above statement is not really true either. Since you referenced people on this site and I am one of them, I would not be assigned that level because I hardly ever do that level. I am lucky if I work 5 games with schools that small and if I do, it was because they were playing a bigger school in classification. And because we list the type of games we work throughout the year, I would not count a Seton game in most cases as a 1A-2A game. I believe we have to work at least 10 games at that level to be eligible for post season. I also have worked multiple Sectionals which also are the very same weekend of the this State Finals. If I am ever fortunate to work a State Final in basketball, at this time it would not be at the 1A-2A level.

As Johnny said, most officials in this area would not be available for similar reasons as I am not normally available. I used to work smaller school playoffs but stopped getting those games as it appear to be clear where I was best served in the state's eyes and location of where I live.

Peace

BillyMac Fri Mar 15, 2013 07:04am

I Know, I'm A Bad Boy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884867)
We are from Illinois not Indiana.

Northeastern Illinois?

Rich Fri Mar 15, 2013 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 884867)
We are from Illinois not Indiana. :D

Your above statement is not really true either. Since you referenced people on this site and I am one of them, I would not be assigned that level because I hardly ever do that level. I am lucky if I work 5 games with schools that small and if I do, it was because they were playing a bigger school in classification. And because we list the type of games we work throughout the year, I would not count a Seton game in most cases as a 1A-2A game. I believe we have to work at least 10 games at that level to be eligible for post season. I also have worked multiple Sectionals which also are the very same weekend of the this State Finals. If I am ever fortunate to work a State Final in basketball, at this time it would not be at the 1A-2A level.

As Johnny said, most officials in this area would not be available for similar reasons as I am not normally available. I used to work smaller school playoffs but stopped getting those games as it appear to be clear where I was best served in the state's eyes and location of where I live.

Peace

I worked in Illinois as an official with reciprocity for at least 5 years and I never once worked a 1A or 2A game.

JRutledge Fri Mar 15, 2013 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 884894)
I worked in Illinois as an official with reciprocity for at least 5 years and I never once worked a 1A or 2A game.

If you worked for Bob B that would have been the case for sure. About the only one that I can think of at the time you could have worked in the Big Northern Conference and at the time worked smaller schools, but now many of those schools are 3A schools and I would be lucky to work 2 of those games at all during the season. I would work a handful of those games and still not come up to the subscribed number the IHSA looks for.

I did in the last few years work with some friends near my home town, but we are talking well outside of Chicago and mostly an off day game to work any very small schools. I also work college so any other open dates those fill up my schedule. ;)

Peace

eyezen Wed Apr 10, 2013 08:27pm

Follow Up

Coaches involved receive probation and post-season bans...

Link

fullor30 Wed Apr 10, 2013 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 890414)
Coaches involved receive probation and post-season bans...

Link

He should get a five year ban for that tie......Good God

dsqrddgd909 Thu Apr 11, 2013 07:28am

Sounds like the superintendent needs some sort of discipline as well:
"I think everything Randy did was taken care of by the official, and it was normal basketball coaching behavior,” said Harrisburg superintendent Dennis Smith. “This is a make-up call for what Seton Academy did. The IHSA had to do something after releasing that initial statement so quickly.

“Seton Academy’s behavior was despicable, and I am offended that our kids, coaches and school have been maligned because of it.”

SE Minnestoa Re Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:19am

I'm sure that when the state association reads the supt's comments that they will be having a little chat.

JetMetFan Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:24am

Here's another article with a little more information.

'Ugly and embarrassing': IHSA levys sanctions against Harrisburg and Seton Academy | Boys Prep Basketball | News Democrat

Obviously there was a heck of a lot that went on which we couldn't see on the broadcast. As far as the officials go, we all discussed it earlier in the thread: Be prepared. The crew for this game looked as though it was struggling from the start.

JRutledge Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 890447)
Sounds like the superintendent needs some sort of discipline as well:
"I think everything Randy did was taken care of by the official, and it was normal basketball coaching behavior,” said Harrisburg superintendent Dennis Smith. “This is a make-up call for what Seton Academy did. The IHSA had to do something after releasing that initial statement so quickly.

“Seton Academy’s behavior was despicable, and I am offended that our kids, coaches and school have been maligned because of it.”

Funny, no denying the fact his kid used a racial slur and allowed to stay in the game. And the coach was told by one of the officials they heard such racial comment and was penalized as such. That also does not take into account the behavior by fans that took place and were heard by Marty Hickman or people around Marty Hickman and the comments yelled onto the court. So there was a little more to this than any comments in any article.

Peace

Jesse James Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890492)
Funny, no denying the fact his kid used a racial slur and allowed to stay in the game. And the coach was told by one of the officials they heard such racial comment and was penalized as such. That also does not take into account the behavior by fans that took place and were heard by Marty Hickman or people around Marty Hickman and the comments yelled onto the court. So there was a little more to this than any comments in any article.

Peace

Uhmm, there's plenty of denying. Harrisburg's denying. The IHSA's words, "after discussions with those on and closest to the action, we were unable to substantiate those claims"

So which is it?

JRutledge Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 890495)
Uhmm, there's plenty of denying. Harrisburg's denying. The IHSA's words, "after discussions with those on and closest to the action, we were unable to substantiate those claims"

So which is it?

They are not publicly denying the specifics, which to some have knowledge of what was done or said. Actually no one in the paper has reported some actual comments that were made during the game (and at halftime) and what the officials told their superiors as to why they gave a T. I do not think Harrisburg wants to go there. They even did not say what the Seton players did while complaining they were penalized. It is pretty obvious that many things were stated behind the scenes to protect those that could have been named specifically.

And the funny part about all this, the Harrisburg coach got off easy. He was put on probation, not suspended. The Seton Coach was suspended during the post season for 2 years. And unless I missed something that was not negotiable.

Peace

JetMetFan Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890492)
And the coach was told by one of the officials they heard such racial comment and was penalized as such.

That explains a lot. I wouldn't think the officials would face a "reprimand" for just mishandling the coaching box situation.