The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Putting hands on official? (Video added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94316-putting-hands-official-video-added.html)

Jesse James Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:41pm

"Harrisburg admits that an inappropriate comment was made by one of its players, but that it was not of a racial nature......"

I don't know if Harrisburg is telling the truth or lying.

But I find it funny it's not recognized as a denial.

JRutledge Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 890508)
"Harrisburg admits that an inappropriate comment was made by one of its players, but that it was not of a racial nature......"

I don't know if Harrisburg is telling the truth or lying.

But I find it funny it's not recognized as a denial.

I will just say, an official heard the comments. The official told the coach why he gave a penalty. And the coach told IHSA people what he was told by the official. And if you read this thread rather early, one of the officials was going around telling people what the calling official said why he gave a T. And yes, they are not denying specific, just trying to say, "Well they were bad too." Not good enough if you ask me.

Peace

Jesse James Thu Apr 11, 2013 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890510)
I will just say, an official heard the comments. The official told the coach why he gave a penalty. And the coach told IHSA people what he was told by the official. And if you read this thread rather early, one of the officials was going around telling people what the calling official said why he gave a T. And yes, they are not denying specific, just trying to say, "Well they were bad too." Not good enough if you ask me.

Peace

So, are you saying both Harrisburg and the IHSA are lying in the IHSA press release?

Or did the official change his story about what was said?

Or was the official and Harrisburg's coach not close enough to the action to substantiate the claims?:D

JRutledge Thu Apr 11, 2013 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 890511)
So, are you saying both Harrisburg and the IHSA are lying in the IHSA press release?

Or did the official change his story about what was said?

Or was the official and Harrisburg's coach not close enough to the action to substantiate the claims?:D

I am not really sure what they are denying. There were more than one accusation of inappropriate conduct and comment. Are they talking about the play where there Seton player was ejected? Are they talking about when the Harrisburg player was given a T? Or were they talking about other incidents? I am talking about a very specific incident and have probably read a little more about this and talked to people more than what was addressed in this specific article. This is not the only article on the topic. And IMO, the Harrisburg people are not addressing, nor would I expect them to address all accusations about their conduct.

All I know is there was a conversation with the Harrisburg coach and the official as to what was said by a player. And when pressed about it by an evaluator, he stated the T was given for another reason. And I can assume that both parties were talked to independently and asked what was said at the time.

Peace

JetMetFan Thu Apr 11, 2013 04:06pm

Here's part of a Hickman statement to the Tribune on March 12:

Quote:

"To indicate that the referees ignored or failed to act in any way would be entirely inaccurate," (Hickman) said. "The objective of our investigation is to now determine and verify exactly what occurred on the court during the course of the game."
So a few days afterwards he was sure the officials handled things properly but a month later he changes his tune? A lot of people must have had a lot of stories to tell over the past four weeks.

zebraman Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:13pm

The contest officials have been reprimanded for failure to enforce the bench conduct rule during the championship game.

So many officials fail to address the coaching box or coach behavior for the excuses that have been listed so many times here. It's just as important to ref the sidelines as it is to ref on the court. It takes more courage though.

JRutledge Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 890537)
The contest officials have been reprimanded for failure to enforce the bench conduct rule during the championship game.

So many officials fail to address the coaching box or coach behavior for the excuses that have been listed so many times here. It's just as important to ref the sidelines as it is to ref on the court. It takes more courage though.

I honestly think that was said to not get that specific about what was really the issue. Yes they gave a coaching box warning, but that coach should have been T'd and I was surprise watching live that is not what happened. His antics were over the top much of the first half.

Peace

zebraman Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890538)
I honestly think that was said to not get that specific about what was really the issue. Yes they gave a coaching box warning, but that coach should have been T'd and I was surprise watching live that is not what happened. His antics were over the top much of the first half.

Peace

That is exactly my point. As officials, we continue to fail to take care of business.

Jesse James Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890513)
I am not really sure what they are denying.

Peace

Maybe this will clarify it.

http://http://thesouthern.com/news/local/state-and-regional/harrisburg-continues-to-deny-seton-academy-racism-claims/article_a234bafa-9243-11e2-925f-001a4bcf887a.html

JRutledge Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18am

I am not looking for clarification. They did not address a specific situation where there player was accused of using a very specific term and that is all I am focusing on. And that comment was not specifically addressed in any article.

Peace

Jesse James Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27am

Your words---"Funny, no denying the fact his kid used a racial slur and allowed to stay in the game. And the coach was told by one of the officials they heard such racial comment and was penalized as such."

Which can only refer to one incident, since that was the only one "penalized as such" against Harrisburg the entire game.

And that incident involved one of the kids quoted in the article, who flatly denies it.

Of course you're not looking for clarification. You said Harrisburg isn't denying a specific incident, when they most certainly are.

JRutledge Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 890594)
Your words---"Funny, no denying the fact his kid used a racial slur and allowed to stay in the game. And the coach was told by one of the officials they heard such racial comment and was penalized as such."

Which can only refer to one incident, since that was the only one "penalized as such" against Harrisburg the entire game.

And that incident involved one of the kids quoted in the article, who flatly denies it.

Of course you're not looking for clarification. You said Harrisburg isn't denying a specific incident, when they most certainly are.

I know a little bit more about the situation than was reported. And I have yet to hear them address that specific situation. Now if you are not aware there were several accusations thrown around. Sorry that your knowledge of this is only confined to what you read. I have spoken to people that were involved and there were other accusations. I am not hearing Harrisburg deny those claims and honestly I do not know which claim they are addressing. If you want to know the truth, there were two different situations where a racial slur was accused of being used that were measurable by an event. One took place during the T the Harrisburg player was given in the first half and the other was during the time Seton player was given two Ts and ejected. They were very vague in who they were referring to and what they claimed their kid did not say. But this is high school so I do not expect them to say which kid they are denying because that could result in a specific response from the Seton side. So you deny it all took place and then no one can counter your specific claim or comment. And that has nothing to do with what was told to why one of the players was given a T and what the official told his partners and the evaluator at halftime.

Peace

JetMetFan Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890605)
One took place during the T the Harrisburg player was given in the first half and the other was during the time Seton player was given two Ts and ejected.

So #55 Blue and #11 Blue (the son of the HC). You can't see anything on the broadcast angles, at least what was shown to the public. Doubtful either would admit to anything. They said on the broadcast #55 has a football scholarship to Southern Illinois so he's not talking and I'm guessing the HC's son will keep quiet too.

From experience my guess is any of the video from the end line camera angles - which would be the best to see what was/wasn't said - is already gone so we'll be left with "he said, he said."

JRutledge Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:43pm

I do not think we would know what was said for ourselves unless the players were miked.

Peace

blindzebra Fri Apr 12, 2013 01:43pm

I just watched the first half...wow.

I saw 3 officials that were:

A) Not fit enough to work this game.

B) Not prepared for what was clearly going to be a challenging game.

C) Mechanically so quick to run in and then run to the table that they continuously failed to officiate dead ball situations.

D) That allowed the Harrisburg coach to dictate the first half. He was constantly out of the box yelling and it appeared his complaining worked because there were whistles right after several times.

E) There was no consistency in calls. There is a quick 3 seconds call on one end and a kid camps the whole frontcourt possession on the other end. Bodies are hitting the floor one trip with no call and the next we see a touch foul 30 feet from the basket.

F) #11 for Harrisburg is that player a good pregame would have stopped. He is that kid that you know was gonna be your headache. He talks trash, he initiates contact and he cheap shots after the play.

I hate bad mouthing fellow officials but this game was a disaster.

And the double T was a result of poor mechanics. Trail does not stay with the players but immediately turns to report. I am not sure how lead misses the push in the back that happens right in front of him. Possibly because of instead of watching he was doing what he did all game, running into the players instead of OBSERVING them. Lastly why all the emotion giving the T. He is moving in big whack on the first one, now he is right there next to the kid, causing the second one.

Kelvin green Sat Apr 13, 2013 02:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra (Post 890647)
I just watched the first half...wow.

I saw 3 officials that were:

A) Not fit enough to work this game.

B) Not prepared for what was clearly going to be a challenging game.

C) Mechanically so quick to run in and then run to the table that they continuously failed to officiate dead ball situations.

D) That allowed the Harrisburg coach to dictate the first half. He was constantly out of the box yelling and it appeared his complaining worked because there were whistles right after several times.

E) There was no consistency in calls. There is a quick 3 seconds call on one end and a kid camps the whole frontcourt possession on the other end. Bodies are hitting the floor one trip with no call and the next we see a touch foul 30 feet from the basket.

F) #11 for Harrisburg is that player a good pregame would have stopped. He is that kid that you know was gonna be your headache. He talks trash, he initiates contact and he cheap shots after the play.

I hate bad mouthing fellow officials but this game was a disaster.

And the double T was a result of poor mechanics. Trail does not stay with the players but immediately turns to report. I am not sure how lead misses the push in the back that happens right in front of him. Possibly because of instead of watching he was doing what he did all game, running into the players instead of OBSERVING them. Lastly why all the emotion giving the T. He is moving in big whack on the first one, now he is right there next to the kid, causing the second one.

well said. I watched the game and your points are right on with one addition there were way too many fouls ruled non shooting

Brad Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12am

http://f.cl.ly/items/3Q3A362M283X470...nd-youtube.png

This is such crap ... 33 seconds of a clip posted for educational review could not possibly fall more clearly under "fair use".

Might need to host some of these clips directly on our server so that this kind of thing does not happen ... absurd!

JRutledge Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22am

I totally agree Brad. I do think we will see on State Clinician video on some level in the future.

Peace

rekent Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 890810)
This is such crap ... 33 seconds of a clip posted for educational review could not possibly fall more clearly under "fair use" ... absurd!

You sir, are absolutely correct!
17 USC §107 sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:
  1. "The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes, [fully non-profit and for the education and betterment of officials, and thus the entire nation]
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work, [subjective]
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole, [a tiny amount - assuming a 1 hour video, ~0.92% of the whole]
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work." [no impact whatsoever on value of the work or market]
Perhaps they did not like the negative press...

JetMetFan Sun Apr 14, 2013 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 890810)
http://f.cl.ly/items/3Q3A362M283X470...nd-youtube.png

This is such crap ... 33 seconds of a clip posted for educational review could not possibly fall more clearly under "fair use".

Might need to host some of these clips directly on our server so that this kind of thing does not happen ... absurd!

Brad, what were you trying to post? I may have the play already since I downloaded the raw in March.

Brad Sun Apr 14, 2013 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 890829)
Brad, what were you trying to post? I may have the play already since I downloaded the raw in March.

I was just posting that screenshot — I saw the video, as it was posted other places ... Was just commenting that I think it is absurd that the Illinois High School Association filed a copyright claim with YouTube over this ... and that YouTube took it down.

A 33 second clip from a game completely falls under the "Fair Use" clause of copyright law. It's simply petty that they have these things taken down imo.

JetMetFan Sun Apr 14, 2013 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 890877)
I was just posting that screenshot — I saw the video, as it was posted other places ... Was just commenting that I think it is absurd that the Illinois High School Association filed a copyright claim with YouTube over this ... and that YouTube took it down.

A 33 second clip from a game completely falls under the "Fair Use" clause of copyright law. It's simply petty that they have these things taken down imo.

Ah. Okay. It seems really odd the IHSA would do that since the entire game is still up on the link that I posted earlier in this thread.

JRutledge Sun Apr 14, 2013 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 890887)
Ah. Okay. It seems really odd the IHSA would do that since the entire game is still up on the link that I posted earlier in this thread.

I think that clip make more headlines. Someone probably had not told them about other clips.

Peace

APG Sun Apr 14, 2013 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 890877)

Filed a counter notice and technically the video is restored...but CBS filed some claims on some clips from the tourney...I've gotten most of those taken care of though and will hopefully have everything back in a couple of weeks.