The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:15pm
NFHS Official

Game Winner

State Tournament last night. Quarterfinals. Team A up by one. 3.7 seconds left. A has inbounds throw in at half court. A1 runs into the back court, catches pass and shoots a lay up into wrong goal. Team A looses by 1 point. Couldn't believe it.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

How does one "loose"?

Did the ball go all the way through the basket before the buzzer, or did the shot just leave the shooter's hand before the buzzer?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
State Tournament last night. Quarterfinals. Team A up by one. 3.7 seconds left. A has inbounds throw in at half court. A1 runs into the back court, catches pass and shoots a lay up into wrong goal. Team A looses by 1 point. Couldn't believe it.
Holy crap.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:57pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Did the ball go all the way through the basket before the buzzer, or did the shot just leave the shooter's hand before the buzzer?
I know it was released, prior to the horn, don't know if it was all the way through. If this makes a difference please explain.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I know it was released, prior to the horn, don't know if it was all the way through. If this makes a difference please explain.
Since it wasn't a try, the ball is dead as soon as the period ends. So, it comes down to the timing of the period ending and the ball passing through the basket.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:05pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since it wasn't a try, the ball is dead as soon as the period ends. So, it comes down to the timing of the period ending and the ball passing through the basket.
Ok. That makes sense. I knew it wasn't a try.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if there is video anywhere.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:14pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I wonder if there is video anywhere.
Don't know. Oklahoma Boys 3A Quarterfinal. Hugo vs Millwood.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

until I see video, I refuse to beleive this happened. That is just too crazy.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:45pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
until I see video, I refuse to beleive this happened. That is just too crazy.
Made the USA today website.

Game Winner
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Can you imagine being the trail on this play...recognizing that he's "shooting" in the wrong basket....seeing him release the "shot" prior to the buzzer...realize the ball was not scored PRIOR to the buzzer....AND WAVING IT OFF!!!!

I'd like to say I would get this play right as it happens, but I don't think I could process all that in real time.

Talk about a "fun" time explaining that rule to the losing coach!!!!!
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Probably just reporter-speak, but if this is how it played out would it not count?

YUKON — Hugo guard Trey Johnson bolted away from his defender, securing the ball with enough space to securely run out the final 2.9 seconds.

The Buffaloes led perennial state power Millwood 37-36 in the closing moments of Thursday night's Class 3A state quarterfinals. All they needed was an accurate inbounds pass to complete the wild upset. And they got it.

But what happened next, in one stunning moment filled with jubilation and arena-wide disbelief, flipped the end result on its head, leading to a 38-37 Millwood win and heartbreaking Hugo defeat.

Johnson received the inbounds pass heading toward his own hoop, needing only an innocent dribble or two to close it out. But instead, in a moment of confusion (as his coach would explain it), Johnson lofted a layup toward his own basket, thinking he was going the other way.

“When I saw the kid going that way, I was like, ‘No, he's not. No, he's not ... Oh, yes he is,'” Millwood assistant coach David Samilton recalled. "I couldn't believe it.”

As the buzzer went off, Johnson's layup fell through. And for a brief moment, the entire arena fell silent.

Hugo's raucous crowd went still. Millwood's previously disheartened group of fans took a moment for reassurance, before breaking out in a wild celebration fit for this unlikely of an escape job.

“That was truly a miracle,” Samilton would say.

But on the other end of the emotional spectrum lay Johnson and his heartbroken teammates, brought to tears by an unfortunate mistake.

“Without a doubt, that's the toughest locker room I've ever had to talk to,” Hugo coach Darnell Shanklin said.

Johnson, in particular, was tough to console. The junior had played energized and effective for more than 31 minutes, helping key an impressive defensive effort.

But that final play, two of the four points he was credited with on the night, is the one that will stick through a tough offseason.

“He gives you 100 percent all the time,” Shanklin said. “Heart goes out to the kid because he feels bad. He feels really, really bad.”

With the loss, Hugo finishes the season at 21-7. Millwood (16-9), meanwhile, hopes to ride this momentous luck into Friday's semifinal game against two-time defending state champ Centennial. Tip is at 9 p.m. at State Fair Arena.

“I feel sorry for him,” Samilton said. “Just like Chris Webber, when he called the timeout. I really do feel sorry for him. But hey, I'll take it.”
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Always trust reporting - there's never a mistake...

"two of the four points he was credited with on the night" - um... no.

To answer the other question, if the ball was passing through when the buzzer went off, no basket. If it had just passed through, 2 pts. Judging by the other casual reporting as quoted above, I don't think we can take "fell through" to be 100% solid evidence.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed the officiating crew was a college crew. Maybe they didn't know the rule? Who knows.

And, did you see the ball they were using? One of those balls with the deep channels all the way around the ball - resembles Scottie Pippen's bald head. Didn't think those were NFHS approved.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 03:02pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I noticed the officiating crew was a college crew. Maybe they didn't know the rule? Who knows.

And, did you see the ball they were using? One of those balls with the deep channels all the way around the ball - resembles Scottie Pippen's bald head. Didn't think those were NFHS approved.
They aren't college guys, only 2 man crews here except for big schools. In fact I know the guy in the picture. We all wear the panel shirts. Also the Wilson Wave is the "Official Ball" during the playoffs. This is the only ball allowed during the playoffs.

Last edited by OKREF; Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 03:09pm.