The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Shooting Foul after a Blocked Shot

Greetings, I just joined in order to ask this question.

I was watching the Thunder-Knicks game last night and there was a call that I did not agree with at all. Kevin Durant drove to the hoop and attempted to either dunk or lay it in. Kenyon Martin ran to him to defend him, and knocked the ball away from Durant before they made any contact at all. The ref's whistled play dead and called a Flagrant-1 on Martin, which was later downgraded to a Shooting Foul.

Was this the right call? Martin's block was clean, and at the very worst, I feel it should've been a non-shooting foul, as the "foul" had no effect on the shot at all. It appeared to simply be 2 bodies colliding in midair, neither of which had control of the ball.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 11:59am
Esteemed Participant

Once the offensive player started his shooting motion - which Durant clearly did here - then it becam a "shooting foul". The fact that the ball was knocked away does not give Martin freedom to lay Durant out like that.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

There are plays all the time where the defender fouls the player in the act of shooting and never even touch the ball and foul shots still get awarded.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

1) can we change this from a .gif file that repeats constantly? (In fact, can we not allow this type of file to be posted at all?)

2) Clearly a "HS foul".

3) Some contact is allowed (by practice) after a block, but that much needs to be penalized, imo.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, this is a correct call. In the NBA, he's considered to be in the act of shooting once he started his shooting motion and would be considered in the act until he returns to a normal floor position. A foul committed on an offensive player during this interval is a shooting foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Yes, this is a correct call. In the NBA, he's considered to be in the act of shooting once he started his shooting motion and would be considered in the act until he returns to a normal floor position. A foul committed on an offensive player during this interval is a shooting foul.
True in all codes.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
True in all codes.
Well not exactly. Under NCAA/NFHS rules, you aren't going to have a shooting foul on a player that has returned to the floor with a foot to the floor (well technically speaking). In the NBA, he has to land and return to a normal position. The interval in which it would be considered a shooting foul is longer in the NBA.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) can we change this from a .gif file that repeats constantly? (In fact, can we not allow this type of file to be posted at all?)
Only if you disallow all .gifs. The site can't know the type of content in the .gif that is being embedded.

I do think, however, that many browsers provide a way to not render the animation gif. A quick google search for your preferred browser will probably give you the necessary instructions.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not so sure there was a foul (or one I would call).

Looks to me like the defender got the ball and the force of the block made both players fall off balance.

Contact can be severe and not a foul. This is just a philosophy situation more than a rules situation IMO.

Peace