The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Arizona-Ohio State clips

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Play 1. I don't see a foul, but if he called a handcheck, it looks like he called it when the player was in the foul circle so a baseline throw-in would be the proper spot.

Play 2. Some contact. I don't find it unreasonable.

Play 3. Close play, but it doesn't look like the defender prevented the release of the shot so probably incorrect. Good sell though.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

1. Not sure why the ball was put on the end line. Contact if any took place clearly outside the arc.

2. The contact was what has been called, "absolute." Not only did Craft (OSU player) put his arms on the dribbler but then makes the ball handler lose the ball. I have a foul there.

3. This was really close, but it follows the rule for a held ball. He prevents the shooter from shooting the ball and the shooter comes down to the floor with the ball. I think that is a good call per NCAA rules which requires the shooter to come back to the floor. In HS I would have this a held ball long before because the shooter never lost control of the ball at the top.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 01:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Play 1. I don't see a foul, but if he called a handcheck, it looks like he called it when the player was in the foul circle so a baseline throw-in would be the proper spot.

Play 2. Some contact. I don't find it unreasonable.

Play 3. Close play, but it doesn't look like the defender prevented the release of the shot so probably incorrect. Good sell though.
#1: A1 is still outside the 3-point line when the whistle and fist occur. Just an horrendously handled play all the way around, IMO.

#2: After the call in Play 1, a whistle should definitely have come earlier on this play.

#3: As I said in the original thread, this is the expected call. Corbett is not going to get dinged for that call, I guarantee you. A1 went up to shoot, B1 got hand on the ball, A1 returned to the floor with the ball. If anyone says that technically this was a travel or a fumble per the rule book, I won't dispute you either way. I'm saying what call is expected on this type of play.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

What league does the T in play 2 typically work for? I haven't seen that guy all year, and now I'm seeing him all the time. I've nicknamed him the silver fox.

play 1 - looks like a wrong spot, but no one outside of this website probably noticed

play 2 - there were a couple fouls there (notice the air punch to the side by the silver fox before the actual foul)

play 3 - on that last above angle it looks like the defender knocked it loose and it could have been a play on, but it was a bang/bang play and I don't have a problem with the call.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
What league does the T in play 2 typically work for? I haven't seen that guy all year, and now I'm seeing him all the time. I've nicknamed him the silver fox.

play 1 - looks like a wrong spot, but no one outside of this website probably noticed

play 2 - there were a couple fouls there (notice the air punch to the side by the silver fox before the actual foul)

play 3 - on that last above angle it looks like the defender knocked it loose and it could have been a play on, but it was a bang/bang play and I don't have a problem with the call.
The Silver Fox is Brian O'Connell, long time Big East official
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 02:09pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
#3: ... If anyone says that technically this was a travel or a fumble per the rule book, I won't dispute you either way. I'm saying what call is expected on this type of play.
There was definitely something there. I can't fault him for grabbing it either way...a case can be made for either jump or travel.

What cracked me up though was the running gator chomp mechanic after the whistle...followed by index fingers to the sky...LOL

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 02:12pm.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)