The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

BI/GT Refresher Please?

I realized while watching a game locally that I am not 100% confident in my basket interference and goaltending application. My rulebooks is currently on loan to an official at an out of town tournament, and I would like to make sure I do have this right before I have two good, high-flying teams tomorrow night.
Goaltending only occurs when the ball is above the rim and in its downward flight. A ball can be blocked after hitting the backboard, as long as the ball is still moving upwards.

Basket interference takes place when the rim or net is pulled and the ball is in contact with either the rim or net, or when the ball is contacted and it is still in the cylinder (continuous contact for dunk legal). Once the ball has broken the vertical plane of the cylinder beginning to fall out, it is fair game.

At no time is slapping the backboard basket interference, regardless of the amount of shake induced. It can be a technical if done in an unsporting manner.
Am I missing something or do I have these correct? I just felt unsure when I was asked by someone earlier about whether I would have called a BI or not.

Thanks all...
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
. Once the ball has broken the vertical plane of the cylinder beginning to fall out, it is fair game.

Thanks all...
It has to be completely clear of the vertical walls of the cylinder (can't be a plane since it is a curved shape ) to be fair game. If ANY part of the ball is still in the cylinder, it would be BI.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It has to be completely clear of the vertical walls of the cylinder (can't be a plane since it is a curved shape ) to be fair game. If ANY part of the ball is still in the cylinder, it would be BI.
So in other words, regardless of falling out off the rim if the ball is in contact with any part of the top of the rim, it would be BI? Was I perhaps thinking of an NCAA or NBA rule with the ball falling off is fair game?
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
so in other words, regardless of falling out off the rim if the ball is in contact with any part of the top of the rim, it would be bi? Was i perhaps thinking of an ncaa or nba rule with the ball falling off is fair game?
fiba?
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
fiba?
Lord I hope I never let those rules slip into my HS games.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in other words, regardless of falling out off the rim if the ball is in contact with any part of the top of the rim, it would be BI? Was I perhaps thinking of an NCAA or NBA rule with the ball falling off is fair game?
NBA interpretation, if the ball is falling of the edge of the rim, then it's not offensive basket interference or goaltending if committed by the defense (NBA distinctions...or what we'd consider BI under NFHS rules).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not just in contact with the rim but it is BI if the ball it touched while any part of the ball is directly above any part of the rim.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 07:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)