The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Video Request: MSU at Michigan

1:02 I believe. There was a BC violation called. It was close and looked like the right call. They just did not show a great replay.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 06:12pm.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

There was an out of bounds call too under a minute where Mike Kitts called an out of bounds call. Replay looked like it was not on the line. But not a great replay and too close. But I would like to see it again.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CosaNostra4Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There was an out of bounds call too under a minute where Mike Kitts called an out of bounds call. Replay looked like it was not on the line. But not a great replay and too close. But I would like to see it again.

Peace

Mike Kitts kicked that one!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

The BC violation looked legit.

After the OOB, though, I remember thinking..."Really? That hit the line?"
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace

I don't think the ball hit the line, but I think we need to remember something about this call. From where the official was, he really didn't have a great look at where it hit because he was looking almost straight down onto the ball hitting the line. Had he been looking at more of an angle rather than straight down he likely gets the call right, but given his position on the play he didn't have a great look and called what he thought he saw.

I will add this as a Michigan fan. That game never should have come down to the last second and a questionable call by the official. Had Michigan taken care of business this game is over before that call becomes important. You can't be a great team letting a 10 point lead slip away with under 5:00 to go, no matter how good the opponent is.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I don't think the ball hit the line, but I think we need to remember something about this call. From where the official was, he really didn't have a great look at where it hit because he was looking almost straight down onto the ball hitting the line. Had he been looking at more of an angle rather than straight down he likely gets the call right, but given his position on the play he didn't have a great look and called what he thought he saw.

I will add this as a Michigan fan. That game never should have come down to the last second and a questionable call by the official. Had Michigan taken care of business this game is over before that call becomes important. You can't be a great team letting a 10 point lead slip away with under 5:00 to go, no matter how good the opponent is.
I agree his positioning was bad and not totally unusual in that situation. I just think he guessed and got it wrong.

That being said a win is a win. You win ugly sometimes especially the better teams. Long way to go before we can call any of these teams great.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosaNostra4Life View Post
Mike Kitts kicked that one!
You might be right, however, like to see replay before I say that.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 02:18pm
Esteemed Participant

BC call is right. #23 has his foot on the line while touching the ball.

The OOB call...ouch. Easy to see why he missed it with his positioning and all. That's tough.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt. Hmm.

Green knocked it away just before the play reached the area of the division line. It then touched the yellow player who had a foot in the backcourt.

Ball now has backcourt status and is in control of team A but team B was the last to touch the ball before it gained backcourt status.

Legal so far.

It then bounced in the frountcourt giving the ball frontcourt status.

Legal so far.

Then the player who had a foot in the backcourt grabbed the ball giving it backcourt status again.

He was the last person to touch the ball before it gained backcourt status (see above) and is now the first person to touch the ball after it gained backcourt status.

Violation.

All that said, I don't think there is any way to see that in real time and be confident about it.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the BC violation was pretty easy. The only thing that makes it a little bit difficult is that the T has lots of bodies flying in front of him. It might have been easier for the C to call it. That brings up a whole new issue!

The OOB looks pretty bad. Obviously Kitts isn't just going to make up a call. He thought he saw it hit the line. His position for this call was not the greatest. I guess my thought is to make that call at that time, you better be 110% sure of what you saw.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a good enough replay to confidently say the ball did not touch the line. The first look is from across the court and almost screened, and the second look shows nothing useful whatsoever. I can't say whether I think the call was correct or not based on these two looks at it.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

OOB calls where you are right on top of the ball are though ones to make.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Backcourt. Hmm.

Green knocked it away just before the play reached the area of the division line. It then touched the yellow player who had a foot in the backcourt.
Gold 4 collects ball before ball reaches the division line.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a good enough replay to confidently say the ball did not touch the line. The first look is from across the court and almost screened, and the second look shows nothing useful whatsoever. I can't say whether I think the call was correct or not based on these two looks at it.

Pearlvision.......the sooner the better