The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: MSU at Michigan (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94243-video-request-msu-michigan.html)

JRutledge Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:10pm

Video Request: MSU at Michigan

1:02 I believe. There was a BC violation called. It was close and looked like the right call. They just did not show a great replay.

Peace

JRutledge Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:12pm

There was an out of bounds call too under a minute where Mike Kitts called an out of bounds call. Replay looked like it was not on the line. But not a great replay and too close. But I would like to see it again.

Peace

CosaNostra4Life Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 882859)
There was an out of bounds call too under a minute where Mike Kitts called an out of bounds call. Replay looked like it was not on the line. But not a great replay and too close. But I would like to see it again.

Peace

Mike Kitts kicked that one!

canuckrefguy Sun Mar 03, 2013 07:08pm

The BC violation looked legit.

After the OOB, though, I remember thinking..."Really? That hit the line?"

chapmaja Mon Mar 04, 2013 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 882859)

Peace

I don't think the ball hit the line, but I think we need to remember something about this call. From where the official was, he really didn't have a great look at where it hit because he was looking almost straight down onto the ball hitting the line. Had he been looking at more of an angle rather than straight down he likely gets the call right, but given his position on the play he didn't have a great look and called what he thought he saw.

I will add this as a Michigan fan. That game never should have come down to the last second and a questionable call by the official. Had Michigan taken care of business this game is over before that call becomes important. You can't be a great team letting a 10 point lead slip away with under 5:00 to go, no matter how good the opponent is.

JRutledge Mon Mar 04, 2013 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 882978)
I don't think the ball hit the line, but I think we need to remember something about this call. From where the official was, he really didn't have a great look at where it hit because he was looking almost straight down onto the ball hitting the line. Had he been looking at more of an angle rather than straight down he likely gets the call right, but given his position on the play he didn't have a great look and called what he thought he saw.

I will add this as a Michigan fan. That game never should have come down to the last second and a questionable call by the official. Had Michigan taken care of business this game is over before that call becomes important. You can't be a great team letting a 10 point lead slip away with under 5:00 to go, no matter how good the opponent is.

I agree his positioning was bad and not totally unusual in that situation. I just think he guessed and got it wrong.

That being said a win is a win. You win ugly sometimes especially the better teams. Long way to go before we can call any of these teams great.

Peace

Indianaref Mon Mar 04, 2013 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosaNostra4Life (Post 882861)
Mike Kitts kicked that one!

You might be right, however, like to see replay before I say that.

APG Wed Mar 06, 2013 01:58pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/LQGSqCNQbt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/rgjKHHAhxJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rockyroad Wed Mar 06, 2013 02:18pm

BC call is right. #23 has his foot on the line while touching the ball.

The OOB call...ouch. Easy to see why he missed it with his positioning and all. That's tough.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 06, 2013 02:20pm

Backcourt. Hmm.

Green knocked it away just before the play reached the area of the division line. It then touched the yellow player who had a foot in the backcourt.

Ball now has backcourt status and is in control of team A but team B was the last to touch the ball before it gained backcourt status.

Legal so far.

It then bounced in the frountcourt giving the ball frontcourt status.

Legal so far.

Then the player who had a foot in the backcourt grabbed the ball giving it backcourt status again.

He was the last person to touch the ball before it gained backcourt status (see above) and is now the first person to touch the ball after it gained backcourt status.

Violation.

All that said, I don't think there is any way to see that in real time and be confident about it.

kk13 Wed Mar 06, 2013 02:58pm

I thought the BC violation was pretty easy. The only thing that makes it a little bit difficult is that the T has lots of bodies flying in front of him. It might have been easier for the C to call it. That brings up a whole new issue! :)

The OOB looks pretty bad. Obviously Kitts isn't just going to make up a call. He thought he saw it hit the line. His position for this call was not the greatest. I guess my thought is to make that call at that time, you better be 110% sure of what you saw.

cmb Wed Mar 06, 2013 08:27pm

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a good enough replay to confidently say the ball did not touch the line. The first look is from across the court and almost screened, and the second look shows nothing useful whatsoever. I can't say whether I think the call was correct or not based on these two looks at it.

deecee Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51pm

OOB calls where you are right on top of the ball are though ones to make.

Indianaref Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 883328)
Backcourt. Hmm.

Green knocked it away just before the play reached the area of the division line. It then touched the yellow player who had a foot in the backcourt.

Gold 4 collects ball before ball reaches the division line.

fullor30 Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb (Post 883389)
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a good enough replay to confidently say the ball did not touch the line. The first look is from across the court and almost screened, and the second look shows nothing useful whatsoever. I can't say whether I think the call was correct or not based on these two looks at it.

Pearlvision.......the sooner the better