The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Actionless Contest

Utah 5A boys semi-finals. 1st qtr is going along fine till about half way through, after a timeout. Team A inbounds the ball and passes to the PG standing just inside his frontcourt.....and he proceeds to stand there for the next 3 1/2 minutes. Team B is in a 2-3 zone and won't come out. Crowd was booing to beat all heck. Team A finally tries for the last shot of the quarter and misses.

2nd quarter, Team A's ball on AP. SAME EXACT THING. The entire 2nd quarter was squandered until Team A tried for the final shot of the half and missed. Score: 14-7, Team B up. Thankfully, 3rd and 4th quarters were normal and Team B beat the wheels off of Team A.

Hopefully Utah will have a shot clock next year, at least for Regionals and beyond because of this. I've never seen anything like it. As a fan i was pissed. As a ref, I would have been incredibly frustrated. Seems like there should be something we can do, but which team has the onus to force action? Bring in the shot clock!
All the worlds great civilizations have followed the same path. From bondage to liberty, liberty to abundance, abundance to complacency, complacency to apathy, apathy back to bondage. If we are to be the exception to history, then we must break the cycle; for those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 01:25am
beware big brother

Be careful what you wish for. Nothing can screw up a game like a bad shot clock operator. Based on the lack of competence that some of the score keepers and regular timers we have working around here, I hope we dont ever get a shot clock.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

As an official, I'd prefer not to work a game like that...but hey, if you're going to pay me X amount of dollars to stand and watch y'all not play basketball, then whatever.

If I had to drop money to watch that though? I'd be pissed. That **** ain't basketball to me.

And there's no way a state would force the shot clock during the playoffs...the shot clock dramatically alters style of play...not something you can spring on teams toward the end of the season.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 08:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
As an official, I'd prefer not to work a game like that...but hey, if you're going to pay me X amount of dollars to stand and watch y'all not play basketball, then whatever.
Had it happen to me once for a VG game. As the T I was where the girl was holding the ball. I just kept thinking - cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching!
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 08:47am
Official & Member

For the relatively few times this occurs, I wouldn't alter the rule book. Yes it stinks as a fan. Yes, it's frustrating as an official. But it's hardly become common enough to warrant a rule change.

Everybody comes across these games occasionally. I've seen it where there's a big disparity between size or speed for a team. The lesser team will try it to either slow the game down to their level or frustrate the other team into commiting dumb fouls. That being said, I've NEVER seen it work successfully for an entire game. I'd love to hear if anyone else has ever seen it used successfully.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 09:07am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

And there's no way a state would force the shot clock during the playoffs...the shot clock dramatically alters style of play...not something you can spring on teams toward the end of the season.
Agree. Wouldn't be fair to coaches/players/officials. Full season or not at all.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Agree. Wouldn't be fair to coaches/players/officials. Full season or not at all.
From our standpoint, it's tough enough for some to switch from two-person to three-person when the playoffs roll around. Adding in the worries of a shot-clock at the most important time of the season would be ugly waiting to happen.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I've seen it where there's a big disparity between size or speed for a team.
Since a team can't recruit (at least most teams; and at least not to the level of college), and since the game isn't (all) about "entertainment", a team should be able to emply this strategy to give them the best chance of winning.

Add that to the cost, and the errors we find with the shot-clock operators, and put me down as a strong NO vote on the shot clock for HS ball.

Now, when it does happen, I think that one of the referees should get with the coaches to see how long theyplan to use this strategy and just shorten the period.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I work in a shot clock state and the operators I have seen do a really good job.Rarely does an official have to stop the clock and correct a shot clock issue.Usually if they do it is a difference between the operator and official about team control in a loose ball situation.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since a team can't recruit (at least most teams; and at least not to the level of college), and since the game isn't (all) about "entertainment", a team should be able to emply this strategy to give them the best chance of winning.

Add that to the cost, and the errors we find with the shot-clock operators, and put me down as a strong NO vote on the shot clock for HS ball.

Now, when it does happen, I think that one of the referees should get with the coaches to see how long theyplan to use this strategy and just shorten the period.
This.

It's the classic case of a solution in search of a problem.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 11:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not Basketball, But It's Kinda Like Basketball ...

Quote:
I think that one of the referees should get with the coaches to see how long they plan to use this strategy and just shorten the period.
Do any of you veterans assume that "stall ball" is unskilled, and is very easy for coaches to teach, and equally as easy for the kids to play? I know that it doesn't seem very exciting to fans, but as a former player, a retired middle school coach, and a veteran official, I can tell you, it ain't easy. High school kids, and they're just kids, want to run up, and down, the court and shoot the ball as many times as possible. For them to be coached to do it any other way, and to be even moderately successful at it, is a great achievement, and I appreciate the effort involved when I come across one of these games every couple of years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 02, 2013 at 12:01pm.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 12:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
and just shorten the period.
Hopefully the second game of a double-header.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Nothing can screw up a game like a bad shot clock operator. Based on the lack of competence that some of the score keepers and regular timers we have working around here, I hope we dont ever get a shot clock.
Worse they might bring back the "Lack of Sufficient Action" Rule
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 08:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Especially one who thinks that he knows all of the rules.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 09:17pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I work in a shot clock state and the operators I have seen do a really good job.Rarely does an official have to stop the clock and correct a shot clock issue.Usually if they do it is a difference between the operator and official about team control in a loose ball situation.
+1 for when I did for 5 years.