The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to refgatormaz
Talking

I've been officiating for a year now and have had some great experiences. I am doing the YBOA Nationals (Boys) down here in Fl. I've never done AAU, but I'm doing some 17U Boys games next week. Any advice? I guess I am both nervous and excited because I am only 18 and this is probably my biggest officiating venue yet. Also, I recently attended JB Caldwell's officials camp and had the pleasure to work with some very good clinicians and officials. It was only 100 bucks, so it was definitely worth it, at least for me anyway.

Go Gators!!!!

Bobby
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 05:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I haven't said it for at least two months, so here goes:

The best advice I can give a young official is to tuck your whistle in your shirt when you go to take a leak.

Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I guess it was fate for me to learn the hard way.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
You are moving up fast, and that means you've got something on the ball. Figure out what it is, and work on making it even better. Then figure out what is most likely to hold you back, and work ten times harder on that. Don't ever think too highly of your self, and don't ever think too little of yourself. In August and September, spend some time setting referee-ing goals for yourself. Decide what is the highest level you'd like to attain. Find five people who have been at that level for a while, two who are just arriving, and three who really wanted to get there but never did. Ask them all what you should do. Arrange to go to some of their games and to talk to them afterwards.

Specifically in the games next week, 1) don't argue with a partner, 2) don't chat up the coaches 3) don't try to be friends with the players. Do 1)maintain a quiet, confident demeanor 2)be sure you're in really good shape to run and 3) have fun!!

If Mark Dexter of this board doesn't answer you in a day or two, go to one of his old posts and e-mail him about how to ref players your own age.

Good luck!!

And let us know how you do. The advice, sympathy and congratulations of this board will help you more than almost anything else.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I haven't said it for at least two months, so here goes:

The best advice I can give a young official is to tuck your whistle in your shirt when you go to take a leak.

And double-check that your fly is zipped before you leave the bathroom...
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Call only what you need to call

This is always true, but at AAU/YBOA nationals it is definitely worth thinking about before you get on the floor. The players will be fast and strong, they can take a lot of contact and will give a lot of contact. Don't let it get out of control, but don't blow the whistle every possession either. Let them play the game - but I guess maybe you already know that from your tagline

You definitely need to ref well off the ball, as that is where the trouble will really start. But don't be in too much of a hurry to blow the off-ball foul until you have a feel for how the teams are going to play the game. If you need to send a message, see the whole play and send the right message at the right time to the right player(s) - that includes the double foul if they get too chippy.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It is all about preception.

No matter what you do, your actions are going to give off a perception to someone. If you are out of shape, they will say you do not hustle. If you wear a white whistle, they will question your professionalism. If you are out of position, they will claim you could not have gotten the play right. If your mechanics are not proper, they will claim you do not care.

So whatever you do on the court, your actions are going to be precieved one way or another by someone. So be aware of what you do from the time you get to the game, to the time you leave.

So the moral of the story, you do not get a second chance to make a first impression. Do it right the first time.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Jul 22nd, 2003 at 01:49 PM]
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by refgatormaz
I've been officiating for a year now and have had some great experiences. I am doing the YBOA Nationals (Boys) down here in Fl. I've never done AAU, but I'm doing some 17U Boys games next week. Any advice? I guess I am both nervous and excited because I am only 18 and this is probably my biggest officiating venue yet. Also, I recently attended JB Caldwell's officials camp and had the pleasure to work with some very good clinicians and officials. It was only 100 bucks, so it was definitely worth it, at least for me anyway.

Go Gators!!!!

Bobby
Relax & have fun!
Let us know how it goes.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, Bobby - which session were you at? I was at the 18th-20th camp (#21).

A bit of advice I can give you - first, don't take any grief from the coaches just because you're young. Of course, in the few coached games I've worked, this hasn't been a problem.

My situation is a bit different from yours - I primarily work intramural ball at my college. It is similar, however, in terms of age. I find that it is easier for me to talk to the players than an older ref. Of course, this doesn't mean become their best friends.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Ahh, how I'd love to be 18 again. But alas, I'm only 21. So old!

I started officiating at 16 when I was in high school and when I started college, I got into the chapter. My best advice is to find a mentor in your chapter and get to know them well. If they happen to be a "top dawg" in your chapter, that is nothing but gravy.

Go watch them work and ask questions. You'll learn a lot.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Mark, I was at the St. Petersburg/ Eckerd college one. How I can't wait for football season to start again..Go GATORS!!!

Bobby